Well, here goes nothing. I fell in love with the #4 bird with the Dorsal Spine, Desert Camo job, etc since I first saw the pics as a kid. I've got 2 kits for cheap so I stand a chance to fix screw ups easier and to experiment wo as much fear.

Pictures002.jpg

I'll be scratching all the mods myself. Mods such as (not the full list of course, bu the major items):

1: Radome shape

2: Engine Inlets and exhausts

3: Wing Fairings

4: Dorsal Spine

5: Tail cone

I also plan to drop the slats, flaps and raise the spoilers.

Never done anything like this before. I suspect it will take me a loooong time since it will not be my only build (I usually build 3-5 kits simultaneaously).

Pictures003.jpg

Pictures004.jpg

It took me a while to find all the references I needed as the -A models are all diff. in numerous ways, so this project has been on hold a while.....

Wish me luck and I may be asking for plenty of advice before long.

- Matt

First up: Crew access ladder.

The kits' crew access ladder is not exactly correct; so I will be modifying it the following ways:

1: Fill in the hole where the extension strut attaches and drill out holes in the extension frame. (See pic of the real thing)

2: There are numerous horizontal bars behind the steps that I will add (not seen in the attached pics, but I have other pics from other sources)

Pictures005.jpg

Right now I have only filled in the whole and plan to start drilling out the other the other holes. Will start my progress pics @ that time.

I have my first questions:

Does anyone know a good way to blow up the printing of a PDF file? (some of the pages I have are 1/200th scale scrap views and I'd like to print them up-scaled to 48th; particularly certain small areas of the pages, not the whole page)

Does anyone know a good way to get the PDF into another file format so that I can better post the pics on here ? (otherwise some of my documentation pics will be screen captures)

Thanks,

- Matt

First up: Crew access ladder.

The kits' crew access ladder is not exactly correct; so I will be modifying it the following ways:

1: Fill in the hole where the extension strut attaches and drill out holes in the extension frame. (See pic of the real thing)

2: There are numerous horizontal bars behind the steps that I will add (not seen in the attached pics, but I have other pics from other sources)

Pictures005.jpg

Right now I have only filled in the whole and plan to start drilling out the other the other holes. Will start my progress pics @ that time.

I have my first questions:

Does anyone know a good way to blow up the printing of a PDF file? (some of the pages I have are 1/200th scale scrap views and I'd like to print them up-scaled to 48th; particularly certain small areas of the pages, not the whole page)

Does anyone know a good way to get the PDF into another file format so that I can better post the pics on here ? (otherwise some of my documentation pics will be screen captures)

Thanks,

- Matt

good luck with the project !!

I'll be building the B model and tune it with aftermarket stuff (i already have the eduard PE sets) + new decals from twobobs, I want to do an OIF subject.

Thanks,

- Matt

Are you printing from Acrobat or Reader? I know Acrobat has scaling available when printing, but it's been a long time since I printed out of Reader.

Another option would be to open the pdf in Adobe Illustrator, scale it, and save it out as another pdf that would print at 100%. I work with pdfs all day long and would be happy to help out if I can.

As long as the pdfs do not have any security, it shouldn't be too hard to get what you need. Let me know if you'd like me to take a look at your file.

mason

I've always wanted a B-1A. I have a Monogram 1/72 scale kit, in white plastic, waiting for me to get the courage to attempt all of the changes. I fell in love with the white B-1A. Its the most beautiful bird that I ever saw. I only wish someone would make a conversion kit.

Never done anything like this before.

Hello Matt,

I'm very happy to find this subject because ....... I'm building the same "Bone" :moai: (1/72)

You can find my work here : http://www.master194.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=49255

Sorry, it's in french but you can use "google" to translate it.

I'm a little bit more advanced than you, so that's why I've spent a lot of time for the documentation. Don't hesitate to ask me if you need something.

11.jpg

Edited by aircraftstories

Si tu savais comme j'ai pensé à toi, Aircraftstories, en voyant ce montage ....

There is two crazy men who gonna build this same unusual "bones"

Good luck for both of your project : this is really a beauty

Seb

Finally, my first sub-assembly is ready for painting ..... the Crew Entry ladder

For reference here are pics of the real thing:

Entry_1.jpg

Entry_2.jpg

The A's and B's all had the exact same entry ladder. So the only work done was to detail the assembly to look like the real thing. The pics here show the details I made. The white styrene are my additions (all plastic strips, tubes and rods). The solid white one is the kits part if left un-modified.

Pictures049.jpg

Pictures050.jpg

Pictures052.jpg

Pictures054.jpg

Pictures055.jpg

The next sub-assembly I will be working on will be the nose landing gear bay and the cockipt. I will probably be doing the cockpit strictly OOB becasue I intend to leave the cockpit closed up .... I'd really like the unique outline of the AC to be preserved and if I open it up it will break up the sexy lines.

I may add some detail to the nose gear....but have not made a decision.

There are other small things in the nose section of the fuselage that need fixing for it to be an A model .... such as the SMCS vanes need to be moved back one foot (1:1 scale)...the pitot arrangement is diff. I need to double check the dopplers under the fuselage and above/behind the cockpit, some vents, etc.

The good news is that I have the dimensions I need for the Nose Radome so that I can rebuild it to the proper shape. (needless to say that ought to be interesting to pull off).

- Matt

I forgot to give thanks to Mason (Doupnik), in the last post, for helping me out with scaling up some PDF line drawings ... Thanks, Mason !

- Matt

Matt

Glad to be able to help, let me know if there is anything else I can do.

That boarding ladder looks great, looking forward to more.

mason

Wow! That looks good! Keep up the updates! Your ladder looks better than my entire Bone did...lol

Just a note..... Beware of tempting the carpet monster like that! I'm sure he was wishing he could open his mouth for that ladder!!!!! He is hungry now I'm sure of it!!!!!!

Curt

Wow! That looks good! Keep up the updates! Your ladder looks better than my entire Bone did...lol

Just a note..... Beware of tempting the carpet monster like that! I'm sure he was wishing he could open his mouth for that ladder!!!!! He is hungry now I'm sure of it!!!!!!

Curt

I was having issues with the camera when taking those pics. Finally, while I was sitting on the floor fiddling with it (discovered that the Macro setting was turned off) I got it working so I grabbed the parts and took the pics on the floor.

You're right; had I left the parts on the floor, I could envision a fedding frenzy of the carpet monster kind of like the Kraken from The Pirates of the Caribbean movie. :thumbsup:

- Matt

Now, this is cool. I always wanted to build the large scale B-1A. Just wasn't sure about the "how to". I am glad to see your building the same jet I like. Your build will help me a lot with the necessary information and a lot of motivation...:coolio: Keep up the good work buddy!!

Mike

Edited by Youngtiger1