• 3 years later...

Wow !!! I finally rediscovered this old link after I had completely forgotten about it for a few years !!!

This project was put on the back burner for a while (few years) as some large life altering things happened to me. Here's the short story:

1: On the job front I had to manage multiple back to back SAP implementations (meaning long hours and lots of stress)

2: We were getting ready to sell our house and move cross country (meaning packing up my huge kit stash and ongoing builds)

3: I had a health crisis that almost cost me my life.....Cancer is not fun and the treatments can kill you; the chemo almost did !

4: Moving in the middle of chemo sucks too

5: Recovering from heavy chemo takes a while (physically and mentally)

6: I beat Cancer !

Keep Calm and F*** Cancer !

7: Changed Employers twice in as many years

I am just now reviving the project. Yesterday I saw someone mention (http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=288272) they had lost a thread that discussed this very topic and all of a sudden I remembered that I had a thread documenting this project. So I spent a lot of time yesterday relocating all of the pictures I had taken of the project. Loading a bunch to photobucket and starting a new thread for the project (http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=288555).

Now I need to merge the new thread back into this thread and catch everyone up.

At this point I have pretty much completed the forward fuselage. Now I have started working on the engine nacelles.

Give me a few days to get new pictures taken, uploaded, and merge the new thread into this one.

- Matt

Edited by JeskiM

Here are a few more pics of the nose cone going together.

DSC02477.jpg

DSC02478.jpg

DSC02480.jpg

Like I said, it’s kinda crude, but ended up turning out quite well once smoothed down.

- Matt

Edited by JeskiM

Here are reference pictures of -1A #4 to represent the mods/configs that I made to my model.

1: All Wheel Hubs are black on the A models with a white central disk

Capture_15.jpg

2: Since my model is gears down that means some vents, etc are open

Capture_12.jpg

3: This is the Probe configuration I chose to model

Capture_11.jpg

4: This is the vent and SATCOM antenna

Capture_13.jpg

5: The -1A #4 had flush louvered vents instead of the-1B which looked like this

Capture_14.jpg

- Matt

Thanks ! I am more happy with my life than I have been in 10 years. My health is pretty good considering what happened: I had 4 surgeries, lost a body part, had a port installed and had a bunch of poison fed from an IV through my port into my heart. 90 some doctors visits in 18 months. 4 CT/PET scans and I have lost count of all the various other tests and more damage to my body than one can imagine .... I actually look and feel pretty damn good ! I've changed employers twice. Moved to a new house and all sorts of crazy stuff in between....I ought to write a book....oh wait, I forgot, I have a life to live and between my hobbies, etc I am too lazy to write a book ;)/> Just another crazy experience in this life ! Gotta love it.

Anyways, when this project ends this is what this plane will look like:

Capture_1.jpg

Capture_2.jpg

I am toying with the idea of dropping the flaps/slats. I think that would look awesome. Don't know that I have the skills or patience or not....but I plan that when the time comes to at least give it a shot on one of the spare wings.

Edited by JeskiM

Currently I am working on the Engine nacelles. The fit has been horrible.....huge steps. Got one nacelle almost to an acceptable point. I've also started roughing out the squared -off configuration of the leading edge of the intakes. Once I get the first nacelle to the point I feel the steps have been acceptably dealt with I will post up pics of the two nacelles for comparison.

After that it's mostly a matter of making the -1A specific mods. Shouldn't be too bad.

- Matt

• 3 weeks later...

Here's an update on the Engine nacelles:

I've been working on shaping the proper squared-off look of the -1A's inlet. The fit of the inlet lips to the main body of the nacelle had a huge step that needed to be sanded down first. Also, I am still sanding the laege step that mostly runs the entire length of the whole nacelle on the side.I've got the basic squared-off shape roughed out. Next I need to fillit up, sand it down to the proper profile etc. So my goal will be to get the first nacelle's shape finished this coming weekend. After that will be the finer details like the pitot tubes, vents louvers on the bottom, etc.

Here's the real thing:

Capture_16.jpg

Here's my in-progress pics:

DSC05032.jpg

DSC05031.jpg

DSC05030.jpg

DSC05028.jpg

- Matt

Edited by JeskiM
  • 2 weeks later...

I've completed the inlet section of one of the engine nacelles. Got a tiny bit of sanding to complete (now that I look at the pictures). I scratched the pitot tubes, vents on the bottom, and made the squared-off inlet cross section. I am pretty happy with the results. The pictures don't do it justice as I couldn't get very good lighting when I took the pics.

Here's the results:

DSC05036.jpg

DSC05038.jpg

One trick I did is that after I put the first big glob of putty on and sanded it it was not smooth at all as there were little chunks missing, etc that needed to be filled. Instead of putting more putty down I put a layer of Loctite Super Glue (ultra liquid control). Once it drys it sands down real nice and makes a coating over the putty and truly binds it down to the plastic below.

I have quite a bit of work to do on the top rear half of the inlet now. Here's the Real thing:

Capture_17.jpg

Capture_18.jpg

Here's the kit assembly:

DSC05035.jpg

That round section between the engine feathers is the bleed air system's air-to-air cooler exhaust. I need to create that and fill in the valley on top of the nacelles between the two engines. It needs to be built up over it to meet up to where the wings sweep back over the nacelles....lots of work coming up there.

However, I am really enjoying this build, but I am taking my time, etc so that I can keep it that way. If I push too fast it's not so much fun. So for now I will work on that exhaust.

I will also start assembling the tail section of the plane. It needs mods in that the upper "tail cone" on -1A #4 is rounded and pointy as seen here:

Capture_19.jpg

More pictures coming soon.

- Matt