Unpacking the Trumpeter Tomcat

It looks like a great F-14D, but not perfect...

Why they forgot to do those rivets in the wings?

http://data.primeportal.net/hangar/tom_adk...STBD%20VERT.JPG

:soapbox:

Probably becuase they figured they made up for it with all the rivets they put on the intake trunks and forward fuselage (and everywhere else)...

I received mine on december 24, and started building it on sunday. The overall fit is pretty good, but the intakes need some work to be adjusted, and the inside parts to be aligned with the engines. The left engine fairing fits really well, but the right one needs some work. As for now, I worked on sub-assemblies: the wings, front fuselage, intakes, vertical fins, engines and stabilators. The main fuselage is only dry assembled, as well as the front fuselage is fixed to the rear with Tamyia tape. The gun took me 3hrs or work, in order to get all 6 barrells aligned... I decided to let as many panels open as I could, in order to represent a bird under maintenance(the 56 days inspection despicted in the DACO book). For the decals, I'll use the VF-31 ones from Fightertown Decals, for the dec 2005 timeframe(Santa Cat). But I guess there's an issue with the pilots names. From the picture I found on the Navy's website, there where another crew names in january 2006

here is the related picture of Felix 101 in january 2006(according to the Navy's website)

060207-N-2838C-004.jpg

Here is my bird.

Canopy fit:

29122009399.jpg

To get that very good fit, I had to cut a bit the rear part of the main canopy

2 overall views:

29122009396.jpg

29122009397.jpg

Averall, this is a very good kit, and it's pretty easy to buils, a lot more than the Tam kit, despite the quantity of the parts of the Trumpy!

Edited by Eliminator

nope, I don't have early construction pics, sorry! The only hint I can provide you concerns the fit of the engines with the intakes in place: do not glue the front part, it will be used to center the intake assembly)at least on my bird), and simply take your time and work on sub assemblies

I thought what made it a Tomcat was:

1. Its ability to make enemy planes head back to base with a few sweeps of the AWG-9 ("MiG-repellent")
  2. Its ability to drown out all sounds around it with its sheer AWESOMENESS
  3. Its ability to overshadow a much more accomplished plane like the F-15 with its svelte shape and its larger - um- tailhook
  4. The way it gave free skydiving and swimming lessons to four Libyan pilots
  5. The way it made Tom Cruise look as if he were straight and tall
  6. Its ability to reach out and swat your cruise-missile-carrying arse out of the sky
  7. Its ability to loiter around the battlefield for hours at a time and drop PGMs on deserving foreheads
  8. Its suitability as the finest canvas ever for cool paint schemes
  9. Its flair for the dramatic, whether being flang off the pointy end of the ship with fire and steam or calling the ball and whooshing down the glideslope with its feathers fluttering
  10. The way it compels otherwise-rational men to collect many kits of it and generates countless questions about its minutest details (most of which are answered with, "Get the DACO book")!

Sorry to interrupt the Trumpeter-fest. I confess - I kinda want one. If I ever see one for $100, that'll be the signal...

Still, a bit of a shame. The nose of a Tomcat is very important. It's what makes it a Tomcat.
Edited by andrew.deboer
1.Its ability to make enemy planes head back to base with a few sweeps of the AWG-9 ("MiG-repellent")

2.Its ability to drown out all sounds around it with its sheer AWESOMENESS

3.Its ability to overshadow a much more accomplished plane like the F-15 with its svelte shape and its larger - um- tailhook

4.The way it gave free skydiving and swimming lessons to four Libyan pilots

5.The way it made Tom Cruise look as if he were straight and tall

6.Its ability to reach out and swat your cruise-missile-carrying arse out of the sky

7.Its ability to loiter around the battlefield for hours at a time and drop PGMs on deserving foreheads

8.Its suitability as the finest canvas ever for cool paint schemes

9.Its flair for the dramatic, whether being flang off the pointy end of the ship with fire and steam or calling the ball and whooshing down the glideslope with its feathers fluttering

10.The way it compels otherwise-rational men to collect many kits of it and generates countless questions about its minutest details (most of which are answered with, "Get the DACO book")!

11. The way it's been greatly overrated in the minds of so many due to the world's best propaganda campaign.

Ooops...sorry, back to the nit-picking or drool-fest, depending which side of the argument you're on. Where's that snarky little emoticon again?

11. The way it's been greatly overrated in the minds of so many due to the world's best propaganda campaign.

Ooops...sorry, back to the nit-picking or drool-fest, depending which side of the argument you're on. Where's that snarky little emoticon again?

Wow. While I'm no Tomcat expert, I'd sure like to know who orchestrated "the world's best propaganda campaign". Can Waco please provide a brief description of this campaign and what major deficiencies the F-14 has in relation to other military aircraft of the same generation? I'm all for open discussion in places like this, but really, if you're going to make remarks designed get people to respond, then please back up those same remarks. I would also really take umbrage with the notion that ANYONE is having a "drool-fest" over this kit. I t would appear that folks here either like the notion of a new F-14 kit in 1/32 or they have accuracy issues with it. 'Nuff said.

Naw, it's part of that Right-wing conspiracy again! They are everywhere... :jaw-dropping:

:salute: I give up.

I'm going back to the Moai thread. Attempts to return any level of levity to this thread are clearly a waste of time.

Gee I'm sorry I didn't catch that one. Wow. Yeah... Uh, that was a killer bit of levity. My humor must not be working online. Yeah. :worship:

Church of the Holy Tomcat followers just put a bounty on your head.

:woot.gif:

Wow. While I'm no Tomcat expert, I'd sure like to know who orchestrated "the world's best propaganda campaign". Can Waco please provide a brief description of this campaign and what major deficiencies the F-14 has in relation to other military aircraft of the same generation? I'm all for open discussion in places like this, but really, if you're going to make remarks designed get people to respond, then please back up those same remarks. I would also really take umbrage with the notion that ANYONE is having a "drool-fest" over this kit. I t would appear that folks here either like the notion of a new F-14 kit in 1/32 or they have accuracy issues with it. 'Nuff said.

good gravy....it's a joke! I thought it was darn funny and I'm a huge Tomcat fan.

I just didn't get it. I happen to have quite the sense of humor, however a lot of the sillyness that goes on within these boards can become mind-numbing. I have to say I took it as a serious post, and one of the few that I've responded to on any board. It is what it is, so that's the end of it. Waco is a funny guy, ok? I get it. Enough already.

good gravy....it's a joke! I thought it was darn funny and I'm a huge Tomcat fan.

Agree with toadwbg...

I got a great laugh out of it...and my user name should give you an idea of just how much I love the 'cat.

Edited by TomcatFanatic123