I've been trying out the front intake cover. This has been done using tissue paper and white PVA glue (thanks for the advice [Yoxford] Jon!). Hopefully it will look OK once it's all painted. I've also used some Tamiya tape on the inside of the cockpit glass which will show as the thin yellow stripes visible through the window once the external painting is finished.

Cheers

Ian

4240959013_13d9ab5f04.jpg

Edited by Ian Cooper
I've been trying out the front intake cover. This has been done using tissue paper and white PVA glue (thanks for the advice [Yoxford] Jon!). Hopefully it will look OK once it's all painted. I've also used some Tamiya tape on the inside of the cockpit glass which will show as the thin yellow stripes visible through the window once the external painting is finished.

Cheers

Ian

Ian

Nice job on the intake cover - I'm sure it will look fine once painted.

ALF

Update on the build. I've started the pre-shading - not too dark and not too defined. I don't want much of this showing through so I think I'll leave it about how it is. I'll have a look in the daylight tomorrow before deciding whether it needs a little more before I start the camo colours.

4255087486_2b2fe6e993.jpg

Following the guidance kindly given by a number of ARCers, particularly mrvark, I've started painting the GBU-10s too. I've mixed the blue from various different colours I had in the box. When this is dry, the fin areas will get their coat of olive drab.

4254323181_ec297b0a50.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Ian

Looks perfect, great job.

Reddog

Thanks Reddog, for your comments and your help on the 'real deal' questions. You guys on the ARC are so generous with your time and knowledge. I just had some PM correspondence with mrvark and discovered that back in the 1980s he was based close to where I live. He's even sent me a photo of a F-111 flying over my town. How cool is that!? Your help is greatly appreciated. Cheers.

Ian

Looking great. Nice work with the pre-shading

Thanks Nubaba

It's moving along a little quicker now due to some time over Christmas and New Year and then two more days off work, yesterday and today. I'm hoping to get some paint on the airframe, stabilators and gear doors before the end of the day. We've got snow and icy roads outside so I'm not planning on going far.

I see your build is coming along nicely now too with the airframe together. You're not far behind me!

Cheers

Ian

I've started painting the main camo colours. The light gray has been applied and I'm leaving it to dry a while before masking ready for the darker gray.

4261912189_f1ec841681.jpg

On the GBU-10s, I masked over the blue area to paint the olive drab but unfortunately the removal of the masking tape has lifted the blue paint on one of the bombs. Some repair work to do there.

Things have been a little slower this week as I've been trying to get a Sherman finished that I'm building for my son.

4261913637_9f2d2aaf5b.jpg

Sorry to break the rules by posting here. I'll remove it after a while!

Thanks for looking

Ian

Nice work and like the tank. Never been brave enough to attempt armour kits, but a lot of what I build ends up hanging in my sons room.

My son was my excuse for getting back into modelling :D

I really enjoyed the Sherman, particularly using the weathering powders. I'm now building a M60 Marines tank in desert camo for him.

Cheers

Ian

My son was my excuse for getting back into modelling :unsure:

I really enjoyed the Sherman, particularly using the weathering powders. I'm now building a M60 Marines tank in desert camo for him.

Cheers

Ian

Same with me. I used to build models as a teenager, but, stopped building for 20 years. Last year when my son turned 10 I thought that I would introduce him to modelling. Unfortunately he just won't concentrate on building and is very impatient. However, he is always asking for different planes he sees to be built. Can't disappoint him of course :whistle:

Same with me. I used to build models as a teenager, but, stopped building for 20 years. Last year when my son turned 10 I thought that I would introduce him to modelling. Unfortunately he just won't concentrate on building and is very impatient. However, he is always asking for different planes he sees to be built. Can't disappoint him of course :P

Amazing. My lad's exactly the same. They live on different sides of the planet but are so similar. :)

Guess that's boys for you!

Hi Ian, your Corsair looks like it is coming along nicely there. I especially like the extra details in the cockpit area. Looking forward to seeing more. Have you found a definite answer to the colors to the munitions yet?

I took some advice from mrvark. He reassured me that as long as I'm using GBU-10s (and not 16s), I could use the training blue on the main body of the bomb and olive drab on the fin/control areas. You can see a picture of the blue area having been painted earlier in the thread. He also advised me that I can use blue Sidewinders with the GBU-10s. That should add some nice colour.

I should finish the darker gray areas of the camo tonight and will post more pictures then.

Cheers

Ian

Just a quick update.

Most of the painting of the main airframe has been completed. It needs a little touching up in a few places but here a a couple of early shots. The pre-shading is showing through a little more than originally planned but I'm quite happy with how it's turned out.

So, some fiddly touching up to do now and the pylons and horizontal stabilators needs to receive their colour. Then the wheel wells. Then the red intake covers. And on it goes.

4272064217_bc828f8508.jpg

4272063527_06fe89ce89.jpg

Cheers. Thanks for looking.

Ian

Just a quick update.

Most of the painting of the main airframe has been completed. It needs a little touching up in a few places but here a a couple of early shots. The pre-shading is showing through a little more than originally planned but I'm quite happy with how it's turned out.

So, some fiddly touching up to do now and the pylons and horizontal stabilators needs to receive their colour. Then the wheel wells. Then the red intake covers. And on it goes.

4272064217_bc828f8508.jpg

4272063527_06fe89ce89.jpg

Cheers. Thanks for looking.

Ian

Looking very good :yahoo: . I am working on the stabilators, pylons and doors at the moment as well. I hate all the injection pin marks on the inside of all of the wheelwell doors. How are you dealing with these?

Looking very good . I am working on the stabilators, pylons and doors at the moment as well. I hate all the injection pin marks on the inside of all of the wheelwell doors. How are you dealing with these?

Simple answer ... I haven't dealt with them yet! Some people use evergreen, cut circle shapes and glue them on. Then they sand them down. That's OK I guess if they're not in awkward places. My strategy could be to watch your thread and see what you do!!!! :thumbsup:

Ian

Simple answer ... I haven't dealt with them yet! Some people use evergreen, cut circle shapes and glue them on. Then they sand them down. That's OK I guess if they're not in awkward places. My strategy could be to watch your thread and see what you do!!!! :thumbsup:

Ian

Damn it, I was hoping to see what you did first :wub:.

I will probably go with tamiya filler, a bit of sanding and a tiny drill bit to replace the little rivets I sand off (I have absolutely no idea how you would go about duplicating raised rivets so have never tried). I still hope to pinch ideas on how to do it better from the other builds :worship:

• 2 weeks later...

Decals are now all on. Another coat of future to come and then I'll give it a panel wash. In the meantime, I'm painting up the undercarriage and gear doors now they've been detailed. Sidewinders are having a coat of white before a nice blue is sprayed on to the main body to recreate training rounds. The blue and white sidewinders along with the blue and OD GBUs should make this quite colourful overall!

Cheers

Ian

4317039916_1340aaf162.jpg

4316307365_8578f6954a.jpg

4316307835_6535c19290.jpg

4317041604_e3615f20e0.jpg

Like it :D I think I prefer the clean lines of your build and I won't open up the panels if I build one of these again. Can't wait to see it finished.

Thanks Nubaba. I do have another A-7D in the stash and I had thought about leaving the panels open when I build that. I'm not so sure now though - I do like the shape of the A-7 and maybe the open panels will detract from that. Maybe I'll stick with closed panels but opt for the two tone green/gray national guard scheme. Still some way to go with this one though but I'm keen to get it finished pretty quickly now.

All the best

Ian