Getting in a Spitfire mood

Understand that I don't watch TV, and all that's connected to my TV is a DVD player. No cable, no rabbit ears, no satellite. But after all this time I can't believe I'd never seen nor even heard about "Piece of Cake"!! Just finished watching the first two episodes - what a great piece of Beeb work!! Pity about Dickie though. He seemed a nice chap.

(sound of Merlin engine as Spitfire does a low fly-by)............

:)

J

Saw that years ago. I do not want to remember how many.

I will look into getting it after Christmas.

My nephew and I are going to have a screening of BOB (He has a better TV then I do)

I am thinking of surprising him with this. I doubt he has ever seen it.

When I need the sound of Merlins, I look up a number of the posted vids on youtube.

Enjoy!

At one point we had most of it on tape from the local public station but have not seen those tapes in years...would love to have it on DVDs! Really enjoyed it. I seem to recall that there was some controversy about it when it first came out in the UK, part of it of course was that it wasn't "history".

...I seem to recall that there was some controversy about it when it first came out in the UK, part of it of course was that it wasn't "history".

The book more accurately had the squadron equiped with initially with fabric wing Hurricanes, then once in France they re-equiped with metal winged ones.

For anyone who hasnt seen it, beyond the change in aircraft, the series was pretty true to the book from what I recall. Some of the flying scenes re-appeared in the last few years in "Foyle's War" episodes that included his (Foyle's) fighter pilot son. Scroll down for a slight spoiler or toggle back to the main page if you dont want one :)

The ending is not 'they lived happily ever afterwards'!

Indeed its not based on one real squadron, but it is a fictional account of RAF pilots in those early days from before the Battle of France to the Battle of Britain. You had the clash of class structure (those who are "born" to lead vs those who can lead), outdated tactics vs. what actually worked and the boys who got chopped up by the meat grinder before smart decisions were made and how different pilots reacted during the war. Some went mad, others became very good at their jobs while seeming to lose their humanity all together and others became leaders while many more became German cannon fodder.

I've read the book and the squadron in question flies Hurricanes rather then Spitfires. But considering flyable Spitfires are plentiful while Hurricanes aren't these days (especially when the mini-series was made) I can forgive that. It may be fictional, but I do consider it something of a taste of how real pilots might have fought and dealt with their brutal profession when the moviestar glamour is stripped away. And yes, after watching it you do get an itching to want to build a Spitfire or two (or three, or more). :)

Did this show have a theme song about "The bells of Hell go ding-a-ling for you but not for me?" If so, I caught a few episodes years ago when I was a kid on my local PBS station. Always wished I could've seen all of it.

I don't know if you can tolerate films with subtitles but try "Dark Blue World" about Czech pilots flying for Britain in WW2. Very well done, they used some footage from "Battle of Britain."

Clicky

The series was made by ITV, not the BBC, and it caused an utter uproar, when it was broadcast; BoB veterans tore it apart, for its portrayal of them as arrant cowards, and the ex-RAF advisor demanded that his name be removed from the credits, since he was ashamed to be associated with it. It was shown only once, never to be seen again, and I suspect that it's taken this long to reappear, because the owners feel that all of the previous protestors are now dead, and out of the way. I watched, with increasing misgivings, the first few (can't remember how many) episodes, but, when a pilot was portrayed, gibbering with fear, scrambling to bail out, when he saw Me109s behind him, I switched off, in disgust, since it was becoming obvious that the whole thing was designed to denigrate the pilots of that era. At that time, I never met anyone who'd watched the whole series to its conclusion. It was a missed opportunity, given that the superb flying sequences were done by Ray Hanna, in MH434, but I still won't have it in my house.

Edgar

It was filmed about 2 miles away from where I live - at Charlton Park, near Malmesbury, Wiltshire.

The stately home at Charlton doubled as a French Chateau.

I can distinctly remember driving home from work and hearing the sound of a Merlin.

I saw the Spit - and was very surprised when it lowered its wheels and flaps for a landing on the small grass strip at Charlton Park.

They were there for a few weeks filming....

The Park now hosts the annual WOMAD music festival - so the surrounding area is invaded by all and sundry and you can't even drive down the local roads for parked cars.... ;)

Luckily I am usually on my annual jaunt to Russia the same week.... :moai:

Ken

I have read the book and seen the TV series, both entertaining for sure but complete tripe in respect of historical authenticity IMO. I can remember the author attempting to defend the book/screenplay in a TV interview, with a couple of extremely angry vets making their point of view very clear. He came out of it looking pretty stupid. His argument was that all of the things portrayed were based on actual events recounted to him by different people, but even if that were the case to incorporate them all as happening to one squadron in a relatively short space of time was asinine and misleading.

peebeep

I never thought it was accurate.

I've read enough about it to know that it's about as accurate as the recent Pearl Harbor mess that Hollywood foisted on us a few years ago.

I have seen Dark Blue World. I liked the flying bits. The love triangle story was, well, A love triangle.

The FFWD button usually gets hit pretty fast anytime the "story" stuff comes on.

That being said the pause button gets hit whenever Kate Beckinsale comes on the screen. PVR's are good aren't they?

Could bee worse folks, Tom Cruise could be remaking Piece of Cake.

Edited by Av8fan

I liked that series. It was on tv in Sweden and Denmark in 91, been searching for it since. Found it at the RAF museun at Cosford this summer I still like it. When it comes to the "collection" of true stories put into the same squadron, i would compare it to the Vietnam War series "Tour of duty". Pearl Harbour is crap, it needs a ladder to get into the lowest level of war movies.

I watched the series when first shown here in the UK, and still have a grainy (through transferring) copy on video....

I don't recall the controversy mentioned in some of the above posts, but do distinctly remember some of the stunning aerial sequences - flying under the bridge being the most memorable....

Like a few other aviation-themed movies I could mention, it's one to watch simply for the aircraft more than the storyline....

i was but a wee nipper when this was on tele. seem to remember a scene where a pilot has his fingers on one hand blown off and landing the plane albeit bumpily. also another pilot flying upside down all the time to confuse the germans(?), god, that must have been 20 years ago???

I must say this series was at least as good, probably better (in my book) than campy stuff like "633 Squadron".

Are (or were) British officers really that condescending toward the enlisted ranks?? If I had ever tried that kind of crap with the USAF enlisted folks who worked for me, I'd have been lynched! :)

J

Piece of Cake!

HA! How strange! I received an early present last night from my wife - she found and old copy of Piece of Cake! I'm going to start reading it once I have some time, but I'm really looking forward to the read for sure.

Are (or were) British officers really that condescending toward the enlisted ranks??

Class culture was alive and well during WWII (still is today to some extent, but I've met officers in the RAF who treat everybody alike), but like most things there's good and there's bad. As an example officers who flew with D. R. S. Bader will probably tell you what a wonderful bloke he was, but I've heard other ranks who served under him paint a very different picture.

peebeep