1/48 USS Essex diorama

Hi all,

My latest: a little diorama of the flight deck of the USS Essex in 1943 during the Rabaul strike. For this attack, the 3 carriers essex, bunker hill and independence used all of their aircraft so they had to rely on land based F4U-1's, like the Ondonga based VF-17, to provide CAP. This was the first time that corsairs landed and took off from carriers in a real wartime scenario.

I'm not 100% sure that they were on deck at the same time as the carriers air wing, but I really wanted some corsairs in my dio.

For the avengers I used 1 italeri kit and 1 Hobby boss kit, both are very nice. The corsairs came from Tamiya, fantastic little kits, and the hellcats are allso hobby boss.

For the figure I used a mix of verlinden, cmk and eduard.

The deck was made with balsa strips and tie downs from tom's modelworks, and I cut up a base from eduard for the lift.

The pictures:

100_3460-1.jpg

100_3458.jpg

100_3450.jpg

100_3459.jpg

100_3451.jpg

100_3452.jpg

100_3453.jpg

100_3455.jpg

100_3456.jpg

100_3457.jpg

This is really cool, and so was you're last "mini-dio" (70's phantom on the deck :wacko: ) - I love the way the pic's turned out for this one, but some "sun-lit" shots could do this feat of model building even more justice (when weather permits, of course...)!

Rob

P.S. If you should run out of space for all this magnificent stuff, I just might have room for a couple extras! Noooooice work B)

The dio is excellent. Really well done. As for the question of VF-17's aircraft being on Essex alongside its own aircraft, the answer would be no. VF-17 and shore based Hellcat unit VF-33 were to provide cover prior to and after the raid the three carriers were staging on Rabaul's anchorage. The two squadrons arrived overhead the task force prior to dawn and VF-17's CO even scored a kill on a snooper, a Ki-61, just prior to the the flat tops launching all their aircraft. After which, VF-33's Hellcats landed aboard the Independence, while Blackburn took 12 of his flock to Bunker Hill, the carrier to which the Jolly Rogers was initially assigned to prior to being sidelined to the Solomons. Rog Hendrick, VF-17's XO took 12 other Jolly Roger U-Birds to Essex. While these fighters were being refueled, and in Blackburn's case, rearmed, Two shorebased Marine Corsair squadrons, VMF-212 ans 221 provided cover. After several hours VF-17 and 33 were launched at 1030 hrs to greet the returning strike and confront any unfriendlies tailing them home. The Marines at this time were sent home. First to arrive were the task force Hellcats which were landed, rearmed, refueled and kept in a state of readiness should the need arise. It did. On the heels of the returning strike aircraft was a Japanese counter attack. The three carriers began launching Hellcats and Essex's VF-9, Bunker Hill's VF-18 and Indi's VF-22 joined the fight. The combine totals for the task group and land based fighters was 111 kills, including 18.5 by VF-17. The only land based fighter to return to a carrier after the air battle was 17's Ike Kepford who landed aboard Bunker Hill to refuel.

As you can see, it was quite the intricate and well choreographed ballet that kept all these forces from being in one place at the same time in advance of the battle, joining only in the air to defend the task group, all except the Marines who missed the party entirely.

This though does not detract from your achievement, which is outstanding. As you said, you wanted to show some Corsairs and it does give you the opportunity to educate any aviation ignorant viewer on who and what was going on. Bravo Zulu