Looking for a weapons load-out for an A-7E..

Hi all. I just picked up TwoBob's VA-22 decals for two A-7's on the Big E during 1988. (They look great!! Thanks TwoBob's!!) I'm looking at doing the CO's jet, the three grey's scheme. My question is; what would be a typical load-out for an A-7 during this time-frame?

TIA!!

Your choice of Mk 82, Mk 83's, Mk 84's, GBU-10/12/16, Mk 20 /CBU-59, AGM-45 / AGM-88 (if VA-22 was a HARM squadron) and just about everything under the sun for back then. It's easier to say what the A-7E could not carry then to give a "typical" load out (there is really no such thing as a "typical" load out). The thing the A-7E could NOT carry back in 88 was; AIM-54 Phoenix, AIM-7 Sparrow and the AGM-84 Harpoon. Remember, these where the days before all the fancy guided weapons and such, JDAM was still years away.

If you let us know what kind of load out you are thinking of or what weapons you want to use we could give you some ideas and legal loads for those weapons/ideas.

HTH

Reddog :cheers:

VA-22 took part in the strikes on Iranian off-shore rigs and speed boats in 1988 ("Operation Praying Mantis"), so you might want to check books on the subject to see if say anything. I'm pretty sure Rockeyes were one of the things carried during that operation.

While on the subject, is there a list of A-7E units that carried the AN/AAR-45 FLIR pod? I was under the impression that only one of the two squadrons typically on a boat was dedicated to its use as not all A-7E's were wired for it.

Cheers,

Andre

The TwoBobs included leaflet about Operation Praying Mantis talks about Rockeye's, Mk82/83 and Walleyes.

On what stations would these store have been carried? Also, which stations were plumbed for drop tanks?

TIA!

Your choice of Mk 82, Mk 83's, Mk 84's, GBU-10/12/16, Mk 20 /CBU-59, AGM-45 / AGM-88 (if VA-22 was a HARM squadron) and just about everything under the sun for back then. It's easier to say what the A-7E could not carry then to give a "typical" load out (there is really no such thing as a "typical" load out). The thing the A-7E could NOT carry back in 88 was; AIM-54 Phoenix, AIM-7 Sparrow and the AGM-84 Harpoon. Remember, these where the days before all the fancy guided weapons and such, JDAM was still years away.

If you let us know what kind of load out you are thinking of or what weapons you want to use we could give you some ideas and legal loads for those weapons/ideas.

HTH

Reddog :D

Thanks Reddog. The info I can't find is what was carried on what pylon. I'm thinking of making mine with a couple of Sidewinders off the fuselage, then either some Shrikes or Rockeyes or dumb bombs underneath. If I was to hang a GBU underneath, would I then have to include the FLIR pod on the other side, or did this pod just help with navigation?

TIA!!

Edited by Marvinblue
Thanks Reddog. The info I can't find is what was carried on what pylon. I'm thinking of making mine with a couple of Sidewinders off the fuselage, then either some Shrikes or Rockeyes or dumb bombs underneath. If I was to hang a GBU underneath, would I then have to include the FLIR pod on the other side, or did this pod just help with navigation?

TIA!!

You do not have to have a FLIR Pod in order to hang GBU's, we did it all the time, the A-6's would "lase" for us. As for the Shrikes, outboard and midboards stations where the Shrike stations (stations 1, 2, 7 and 8). Rockeyes, GBU's and Dumb Bombs (called General Purpose (GP) Bombs can go on all wings stations. The FLIR Pod was just that, a Forward Looking Infrared Pod, no navagation or laser designator functions that I know of, then again though, I could be wrong, my squadron was the HARM squadron.

Let me know what you want to hang and I'll give you what stations and how many you can put. Keep in mind, we rarely mixed stuff together with the exception of Rockeye and Shrike/HARM. For bombs, it was either GP Bombs or GBU's (and maybe drop tanks), we did not mix GP's and GBU's together.

Oh, BTW, Sidewinders on the fuselage stations was the norm if we where carrying live stuff.

HTH

Reddog :)

Thanks heaps Reddog, this has been really helpful. I'll probably go with a pair of Shrikes on 2 and 7 and a pair of tanks on 3 and 6 with some Sidewinders on the fuselage.

Thanks again!!

That's a good sam suppression load.

Always glad to help out.

Reddog :D

I too, have that A-7E scheme from 2 Bobs and it looks gorgeous! I have procured the gawa A-7E "Valions" kit and it has the FLIR pod. The load out was a question for me too and now I know. Probably just follow the 2 Bobs side bar on Op Preying Mantis. That scheme looks nice. I also got some weighted resin wheels from Royale resins. Ever notice how a lot of modern aircraft kits these days do not include treaded tires?? Is it that difficult to mold?? Anyway, great scheme from 2 Bobs.

Let me know what you want to hang and I'll give you what stations and how many you can put. Keep in mind, we rarely mixed stuff together with the exception of Rockeye and Shrike/HARM.

Follow-up question about mixed HARM/Shrike and Rockeye loads - When carrying either missile (esp. Shrike), was it normal to carry only single Rockeyes, or could/would they have been mounted in multiples on a TER? I assume singles with HARM given its weight, but wondered if triples or "slant-four" loads were possible along with AGM-45s.

Follow-up question about mixed HARM/Shrike and Rockeye loads - When carrying either missile (esp. Shrike), was it normal to carry only single Rockeyes, or could/would they have been mounted in multiples on a TER? I assume singles with HARM given its weight, but wondered if triples or "slant-four" loads were possible along with AGM-45s.

You could do "slant four" loads, just leave the stations next to the HARM/SHRIKE empty on the MER or TER. If you are going to do MER's I would recommend you put them on the mid board (station 2 and 7) and put the HARM/SHRIKE on the outboards (station 1 and 8). You can also put Rockeye on the inboard on parent racks (station 3 and 6).

HTH

Reddog :salute:

Edited by Reddog