(Another) F-14 question..

Also for me is an hangar and not a carrier, not only for the lack of tie-down holes, but also because the floor looks really like concrete.

Camera pod.. yes probably. But now I'm thinking about the purpose of that camera.

If it really was a weapons test camera... why it's on top of the wing and not underside?

Also for me is an hangar and not a carrier, not only for the lack of tie-down holes, but also because the floor looks really like concrete.

Camera pod.. yes probably. But now I'm thinking about the purpose of that camera.

If it really was a weapons test camera... why it's on top of the wing and not underside?

The camera is on the underside but the housing protrudes through the top so they put that blister there ... :D

And yes, that's a hanger shot ...

Gregg

Wow... so it's a big camera!

Not such a big camera; I suspect that it used a periscope lens configuration, to minimize the size of the lower bubble protruding into the airstream. That puts the camera vertically in the wing, and you still need to accomodate first the power cables that attach to the camera, and then enough space to access the power cables to attach them, be able to change the film magazine, and be able to adjust the camera settings. And from what I remember, a Tomcat's wingtip isn't very thick.

The test birds often had camera pods like this mounted on the top/bottom of wings and on the strake.

I'm guessing the picture was shot at Pt Mugu and it was VX-30's 201 jet or it's Strike's 231 D....

-brian

Probably not a carrier. There are no padeyes spaced closely together for tie down, the equipment is not tied down (which it should be when not in use on a carrier - though not always) and the drainage grate on the side by the door is not on any carrier I have been on.

Mark

Edited by mhoupt
It's the USS Seahawk and that's Harm's jet.

OK..that's funny considering:

1. This is most definitely from Pt Mugu, mid 2000's based on the Golden Shower paint scheme

2. The E-2 is in the same hangar as an F-14 (opposite sides of the flight line) with missiles on racks there...looks like an AIM-54 on the one.

3. The amount of filming for JAG and The West Wing that was done in the VX-30 hangars at Pt Mugu. This isn't the E-2 Hangar...we had a bright white floor and a red stripe before the drainage grate.

My bet is it's a static set up for either of those shows or some other VIP thing. Looks like they're towing the E-2 out of there (wing walker with chocks).

Spongebob

It very well could be JAG/NCIS episode. That missile in the upper right corner looks suspiciously like a prop I remember and I'd venture the picture itself looks like it could even be a frame grab.

If it's pre-2005, I could even have been on set that day!

-brian

OK..that's funny considering:

1. This is most definitely from Pt Mugu, mid 2000's based on the Golden Shower paint scheme

2. The E-2 is in the same hangar as an F-14 (opposite sides of the flight line) with missiles on racks there...looks like an AIM-54 on the one.

3. The amount of filming for JAG and The West Wing that was done in the VX-30 hangars at Pt Mugu. This isn't the E-2 Hangar...we had a bright white floor and a red stripe before the drainage grate.

My bet is it's a static set up for either of those shows or some other VIP thing. Looks like they're towing the E-2 out of there (wing walker with chocks).

Spongebob

It very well could be JAG/NCIS episode. That missile in the upper right corner looks suspiciously like a prop I remember and I'd venture the picture itself looks like it could even be a frame grab.

If it's pre-2005, I could even have been on set that day!

-brian

How did I know that you two would get that joke? :)

As well as the "USS Seahawk", it could be "NAS Oceana", "Gitmo", or any other number of locations required by those Hollywood scriptwriters.... :)

Edited by John B