??? on early hellcats

Hello!

On early hellcats(particualy with canted forward antenna mast) some pipes and bars(two diagonal and two vertical at rear) visible through rear windows... Maybe someone knows how they are looks and where they goes? Looks like this things missing in every hellcat kit :-(

Maksim

Здравствуйте Maksim

I suspect those were internal braces behind the aft cockpit bulkhead that were deemed unnecessary, and were removed. Eduard incorrectly show them as flat braces on the inner surface of the aft windows. My guess is that they were angled down and aft from the center of the bulkhead down to where they connected with a rib further aft.

J

Konnichiwa Jennings-san!

Agree with you on that diagonal braces, but my only guess about construction in whole(including bulletproof headrest) that it was some kind of protection for pilots head in case of plane flipp-over on landing...so it's should be very strong and heavy.

Interesting, could I post here photo copyrighted by Grumman and published in Squadron Detail & Scale book without being hanged? :-D

Maksim