This will be the Academy F-8J built straight out of the box. I've done quite a bit of basic construction so far, having just put the wings on today. It needs a bit of work before it goes to paint, but its moving along rather well. It will be marked with the kit decals for VF-24.

As with all aircraft, the cockpit was up first. A bit of detail painting and drybrushing and it was finished:

IMG_6263.jpg

The same with the sidewalls

IMG_6266.jpg

And just about ready to put the fuselage halves together:

IMG_6269.jpg

How it stands today, I found that part A7 (the hump above the wings) was a bit too wide on the front to mesh into the fuselage, so that needs some cutting sanding and filling to get smoothed in. Its not quite there yet, but it should be soon. I guess I could have avoided the problem by posing this one with the wings up, but I wanted to do it with the smooth lines uninterrupted.

IMG_6485.jpg

A question for the F-8 pros, would J model have the two rail type antennas between the main gear doors? I remember reading that some versions had it and some did not, but I don't know if the J does.

Cheers,

Jared

• 3 weeks later...

Quick update. I did some preshading and the painting, really first time preshading an aircraft, and I think that it turned out allright. I tried it once years ago, and was really not happy, but I think that might have had something to do with the fact that it was a darker camouflage scheme. It seemed to work out nicely on the lighter camo.

I did a gloss coat yesterday and the next step is the decals. Then a little bit of weathering, dullcoat, and the last little touch ups, should be done relatively quick!

Enough chatter, on to the photos.

IMG_6715.jpg

IMG_6719.jpg

IMG_6724.jpg

And with its stable mate, which is progressing parallel, bonus points if you can guess which country it will be for!

IMG_6721.jpg

Cheers,

-Hoops

Quick update. I did some preshading and the painting, really first time preshading an aircraft, and I think that it turned out allright. I tried it once years ago, and was really not happy, but I think that might have had something to do with the fact that it was a darker camouflage scheme. It seemed to work out nicely on the lighter camo.

I did a gloss coat yesterday and the next step is the decals. Then a little bit of weathering, dullcoat, and the last little touch ups, should be done relatively quick!

Enough chatter, on to the photos.

IMG_6715.jpg

IMG_6719.jpg

IMG_6724.jpg

And with its stable mate, which is progressing parallel, bonus points if you can guess which country it will be for!

IMG_6721.jpg

Cheers,

-Hoops

looking good, what markings are you using?

Julien

Thanks for the comment!

I'll be doing one of the VF-24 markings included on the kit decal sheet. The decals are printed by Cartograft and are beautiful. I have some aftermarket sheets that aren't as nice or as complete.

I was a little bit worried that if I laid the Red White checker for the lower tail down over the transition between white and ghost grey on the tail, the underlaying color would show through. For that reason, I painted the lower tail white all the way forward where the decal will be placed.

-Hoops

• 2 weeks later...

Decals are on, waiting for a dull coat over everything now. After that it will just be a few small things and it will be done!

IMG_6746.jpg

IMG_6749.jpg

The checkerboard decals were a bit tricky, just because of their size, and getting them lined up together, but other than that, everything was easy. I will say that I didn't do all of the stencils though, there were far too many. I did what I felt was a representative number to make things look busy, but I didn't want to go crazy.

Cheers,

-Hoops

Lovely decalling job, Jared.

The placement and alignment of the checks looks spot on and the overall effect (with stencils) is very convincing. Looking forward to the rest of your build.

Andrew.

nice build man, i like the paint scheme that you choose, cheers

Thanks! It was the nicest one on the kit sheet As far as I was concerned, the other ones were a little "boring" in comparison.

Lovely decalling job, Jared.

The placement and alignment of the checks looks spot on and the overall effect (with stencils) is very convincing. Looking forward to the rest of your build.

Andrew.

If you look at the top of the fin from exactly above, some of the checks don't line up 100%, but other than that its not noticable.

Looks great, I always liked those markings.

We could use your model and mine from the sqn to do a before & after sketch!

My F-8J

F-8JLeftRear.jpg

Julien

Haha! I'll leave the spray-lat off of mine though...

I'm liking that checkboard scheme! Very cool. :whistle:

Check out the Finished entries thread, just finished the kit up and posted photos!

Cheers,

-Hoops

• 2 weeks later...