:P

I lurk more than I post on here but I really want to do an A-10 and my wife says she will get me one for Christmas just got to find out which is the best one out there? Also what decals are available for them any help would be appreciated. Thanks

in 48th you have 3 options:

Revell Monogram :older kit, fit is not the best, raised panel lines, cheapest, most accurate shape in 48th, represents 80s to early 90s A-10 out of the box (shull24.com makes an update kit)

Italeri: middle in cost, shape issues, intakes need replaces as they are wrong, very good fit, iffy weapons, can be built as any A-10A

Hobbyboss- most expensive, great fit, all detail is recessed- no raised rivets as on real thing, weapons stink, can only be built as mid 90s, 2000s bird

Anyone you pick has it's plusses and minuses. If you are going for an accurate shape and raised lines don't bother you, get the revell. If you can sacrifice some accuracy for an easier build, either the Italeri or HB one. There are a lot of AM items out there for all the kits too.

1/72 Italeri or the revell kit of you can find it. Same plastic, only the decals are different. Fit is good, details at the outside are nice. The pit could be a little better, but still very good for a 1/72 kit.

There is also PE from Eduard available for these kits.

I'm trying to build the Revell kit right now (here)

And here you find the build of the Italeri version.

You need to do some more searching on A-10 reviews.

You got the worst of the bunch with the Tamiya kit, it is from the late 70's, one of the first A-10 models produced,I'm sorry but you will be disappointed, I'd try to return it if possible.

I would recommend the Monogram kit, it is the most accurate out of the whole bunch, but has the typical Monogram construction woes.

The Hobbboss kit is a bit overpriced and the doors on the engine pods do not fit well.

Sorry for raining on your Christmas joy.

Curt

Your not raining on my parade thanks for the review. It was the last one that the hobby shop had of any A-10 so I got it. I am gonna give it a run, with all the ideas that everyone has given me I am going to get a few more Hawgs. Thanks for the advise

Well, to be fair to the Tamiya kit, it is a fair representation of the first ten production aircraft.

HTH,

Andre

• 1 year later...

Hi just reading this thread and I have my own questions; what kit builds better, the Tamiya kit (which I have), the Italeri one or the Hobby Boss one? Can a Gulf War bird be made fairly easily from the Tamiya one, or do I need a lot of resin to accomplish this? Which one would represent best value for money, in terms of less aftermarket bits needed for the end result and build quality? Finally, what would be a typical loadout for a Gulf War A-10?

TIA!!

P.S. Sorry, forgot to mention I'd like to build a 1/48 kit (in case the manufacturers didn't give it away!!)

Edited by Marvinblue

It's the weekly "what's the best A-10 kit" question...

Just kidding....kinda..

A couple of years ago I started writing an article about the available kits in 1/72nd for Wikipedia. There was a nice page about the F-101 there at one time, but it was pulled by the Wiki admins there I stopped working on it.

Hi just reading this thread and I have my own questions; what kit builds better, the Tamiya kit (which I have), the Italeri one or the Hobby Boss one? Can a Gulf War bird be made fairly easily from the Tamiya one, or do I need a lot of resin to accomplish this? Which one would represent best value for money, in terms of less aftermarket bits needed for the end result and build quality? Finally, what would be a typical loadout for a Gulf War A-10?

TIA!!

P.S. Sorry, forgot to mention I'd like to build a 1/48 kit (in case the manufacturers didn't give it away!!)

Tamiya kit fit is excellent like most Tamiya kits. The cockpit is beyond non existent though. Plus the shape and little bits are for a pre-production A-10 I guess as others have told me. All told though I built the Tamiya A-10 with only the addition of a resin cockpit designed for the Monogram kit and it turned into a beauty. The kit decals are for the 23 fw from Desert Storm so you're good right out of the box on those as well.

I'll throw in my 2 cents ...

Besides keeping in mind the level of detail you want, you need to decide which squadron you are building? There was a slight difference with regards to ECM gear on the nose.

Monogram can be built nicely, but I don't like working with raised panel lines.

Tamiya builds nicely, but the cockpit details was lacking for my likes. I think it might have been soft with the detail with the chaff/flare dispensers too.

Hobbyboss, is my personal preferance. As others have said, it is molded as a LASTE plane but that can easily be fixed by some cutting, putty, and sanding.

Here's how the Hobbyboss kit looks built as a Desert Storm plane:

IMG_0081.jpg

As for weapons load, typically, there would be an ECM pod (type depends on the squadron), Sidewinders on a Dual Rack Adaptor, 2 AGM-65 Mavericks on single rail launchers (the triple launcher was seldomly used in the war), and then either cluster bombs or iron bombs (sometimes mounted straight to pylon or on a MER, depends on the squadron).

Thanks everyone for your replies. Benner; that's a fantastic looking A-10!! Thanks for sharing. That's good news about the Tamiya kit, so I reckon I'll stick with it and try and source a Black Box (Monogram) pit, or at the very least, a resin seat. I'm going to build a Euro-1 bird from the 74th TFS. (Gotta have a shark's mouth on an A-10, its a given!! :D ) My kit decals were already yellowed up, as I bought this kit cheaply from a garage sale, so I bought a SuperScale sheet that will do the trick. Just need some LAU-117's for some Mavericks and a DRA for some Sidewinders to finish it off.