I started my entry for this GB, the good old Tamiya Fw 190D-9.

This model will be built O.O.B. with the exceptions of the mainwheels which will come from a Dragon Fw 190 kit and the markings which will be ''black 2'' a Dora from JG 2.

Here is the progress so far...

379138328.jpg

379530770.jpg

379530761.jpg

The bulges on the cowling will need to be removed for the aircraft I am building, an early Fieseler built Dora.

379527559.jpg

More in-progress pics next week.

Matrixone

Thanks very much Mikester and Nick!

Nick,

I did the IP the old school way, it was hand painted. But I did have some good reference books to help guide me, Jerry Crandall's Dora book (Volume 1) and the Squadron Signal Fw 190 Walk Around book, the Squadron book had some nice photos of the NASM Fw 190F-8 cockpit area.

After I painted the IP blackgray 66 I painted all the instruments black and used white paint to highlight the details, after all the painting was done I put a drop of Future on the face of each instument to add the ''glass'' effect.

HTH

Matrixone

Still not too much to see in this build, the airframe is built and is almost ready for paint. Behind the D-9 are other Focke-Wulfs that are in-progress.

380000485.jpg

The markings on my model will be ''black 2'' of 1./JG 2, the profile of this aircraft can be seen in volume 1 of Jerry Crandall's Dora book.

Matrixone

Thanks Mark,

The profile of ''black 2'' shows it to not have the ETC rack but I will add it to my model anyway. The profile was based upon a crashed machine and the lower wing is not visable in the photograph. Other JG 2 aircraft were known to use the ETC rack.

Painting/pre-shading begins today, I will post some pics when I have time.

Matrixone

Thanks Mark,

The profile of ''black 2'' shows it to not have the ETC rack but I will add it to my model anyway. The profile was based upon a crashed machine and the lower wing is not visable in the photograph. Other JG 2 aircraft were known to use the ETC rack.

Matrix,

Here's a bit of useful information I hope. I went through some books and found this information for you about the ETC rack:

-The ETC rack was first seen on a couple of A-2's that were replaced later than normal. These few had the field modifications done to use the ETC rack.

-A-3's were the first 190's coming off the factory floors with the possibility of fitting the ETC 501 bomb rack

-A-7's that had the landing gear flaps removed in order to fit the ETC 501 for easier use. Earlier versions that had the 501 also had the flaps removed (A-6, A-5, etc., etc., etc...)

-The possibility of hooking up the ETC 501 did not become standard until the A-8's rolled off the factory floors. It then became standard for all other models.

-The Fw 190 F-1's had this bomb rack as a standard equipment option (A-9's were completely and permanently prepped to fit the 501, but it didn't need to be mounted at all times - only when needed).

-The ETC 50 bomb racks could be used on the F-3 varient R1 onwards - (a second bomb rack slung from the ETC 501).

-G-1's had the ETC 501 as a standard option as well (G-1 onwards).

Now that's a lot of fine and dandy info for the radial 190's... what does this mean for the Dora? In a nutshell, "Black 2" had the ETC 501 as a standard equipment option. So, everything is in her to make the bomb rack or drop tank work if the ETC 501 is hooked up. The rack can be thrown on or off depending what 1./JG 2 was going out to do. So, your decision to put the 501 on... nothing wrong with it at all.

Hope this helps!

Mark.

Thanks again Issac,

The 1/32 scale Fw 190A in the background is my Fw 190A-10 project, I added the Ta 152 tail from a Revell Dora kit. There were no Fw 190A-10s actually built, my model is a what-if but will be painted in full camouflage and markings like 'real' Fw 190s were.

While there were no A-10s built during the war there WAS at least one Fw 190A (or F) fitted with the Ta 152 tail unit, there is a picture of it in Jerry Crandall's Dora book (volume 1).

Matrixone

Here is my Dora after the pre-shading has been sprayed over, the pre-shading looks a little too heavy at this stage but after the rest of the painting and markings are added the pre-shading will hardly be noticed.

380587451.jpg

I will start spraying some RLM 75 on it today.

Matrixone

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Mike and Issac!

I like the pre-shading effect to be barely seen on the uppersurfaces of my models and in some of my pics its hard to even see it sometimes, its not easy to know when to stop with the pre-shading but I would rather under do it than over do it.

Right now I am looking over the second volume of Jerry Crandall's Dora book and getting ready to paint the Fieseler factory pattern on the wings of my model.

Matrixone

Thanks Jes!

This weekend I should have all the camouflage painted on the model and maybe the RVD band too. Since I have several other models in-progress at the same the progress on this model is pretty slow at times.

Matrixone

Thank you Mike!

I had to fix the large gray spot on the right side of the fuselage, it was too far back towards the tail.

Right now I am getting set up to spray the RLM 74 on the fuselage, I might have new pics later today.

Matrixone

All the camouflage colors are now on my entry, all I have to do now is paint the RVD bands and wheel wells before adding the decals.

382067309.jpg

382067301.jpg

The model below is NOT part of this GB but some of you asked me to post more in-progress pics of this model so here it is...

382067374.jpg

Matrixone