New Airbrush for christmas

So I'm thinking I'll ask for a new airbrush for christmas. I just have the Testors Aztek workhorse airbrush now...and was just going to upgrade to the Testors Solo Resin Aztek, since I have a lot of nozzles and cups and they have it at Michael's and AC Moore (use the 40 or 50% coupon). But then, I was looking on here trying to find what people are using, and I'm seeing a lot of people using other stuff. So I'm basically wondering, should I just go with the better Aztek, or go for something like an Iwata eclipse? I know everyone has their own opinions...and there's not one basic answer, but any help would be appreciated. I'd like to stay around $100, since it will be a gift, and basically want an overall good airbrush that I can use for basic airbrushing as well as some basic detail work (trying camo or just two toned USN modern jets). Thanks.

There's lots of threads around here on "which airbrush to get." Lots of people don't like Azteks. I had one for about 14 years, and after I beat it to death, I bought a Badger, and I wouldn't go back to Azteks. That's my 2 cents. I'd also avoid using Michael's as my airbrush supplier. Even with a coupon, they're more expensive than the deals you can find online.

Badgerairbrush.com has a "garage sale" section that still has some good deals on airbrushes.

For what it's worth, I've never owned an Aztec, but I recently bought an Iwata (HP-CS???, never can remember this) to work along side my Paasche. The Iwata rocks, and it's been so long since I used the Paasche I really don't even know where it is.

Have a look at the Harder & Steenbeck Ecolution Solo = Porsche

http://www.harder-airbrush.de/english/evolution_02.html

Similar price to the Eclipse, but has the advantage that you can change the paint cups for the job you have to do and you also have the option of needle/nozzles from 0.15mm up to 0.6mm. Brush is also simple to disassemble and clean.

Was reviewed in Model Airplane International issue46, May09 I think.

I have a Badger Patriot, I LOVE it. It does everything I need it to and more. Easy to clean and does fine lines. About to start a WWII German build so I am about to find first hand how it does painting mottled fuselages.

GOd Bless,

Ken

I once used to have a paasche VL. It was my first airbrush. It was problem after problem after problem after problem. I could go on but I'll stop only because I was learning back then. I'm sure if I had it now I would be way better with that airbrush but still, it wasn't no Iwata.

I then upgraded to an HP-CS Eclipse and man oh man what a difference that made. After spraying with the Iwata once, I was sold. I had literally gone from a really bad airbrusher to a mediocre airbrusher. The Iwata has made the learning curve for me so much easier.

You can paint entire planes with it and lay down some really nice base coats and finish coats etc. You can also get up close and do details. Although it could potentially do panel lines on a 1.72 prop, I would not use it for this. You would really have to get comfortable with the particular airbrush etc. I would get something else if you are planning on doing ridiculously thin lines and stuff like that.

If you are looking for a brush that is going to do everything else and then some more, get the Iwata. You will not be dissapointed.

I have had an Iwata Eclipse HP-CS for about a year and I love it. Easy to break down and clean and gives me great control. Having said that, A buddy of mine just gave me a brand new Badger Patriot. I have not yet sprayed with it, but everyone I have spoken to who has raves about it. Consider this:

* Same basic configuration as the HP-CS

* You can get it for around $100 (Tower Hobbies has it for $90 - http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti00...LXYKV8&P=FR

* It uses the standard Badger flex hose (easy to find)

* Comes with a lifetime warranty

* Gravity cup (SO much better than suction feed)

* Easy to clean

* Comes with a nice box (My Iwata came in a cardboard box that really doesn't suit it for storage

Read the reviews:

http://agapemodels.com/?p=2804

http://www.kitmaker.net/modules.php?op=mod...ent&id=4676

http://airbrushtips.110mb.com/patriot.html

Hope this helps with your decision making

Stew

I just bought an Iwata CS, after using an Aztek for ten years. I changed because I could not get fine lines with the Aztek and I needed this to do preshading (I built only ships before, and for this the Aztek was perfect).

While the Iwata gives amazingly fine lines, you have to be very careful to wash it thoroughly after each use, something I did not have to do with the Aztek. Also, the Aztek has removable cups, with is really convenient. As much as I like the Iwata, I think it could be better if it has this system of removable cups.

So now I use mainly the Iwata but if I have a big surface to paint I still use the Aztek, it's easier to clean.

Aztek/Iwata = Yugo/Cadillac

Fixed.

Look for an Iwata Hi Line with MAC valve. Suh-wheeet. Previously used Aztek and Paasche VL. VL is ok, but the Iwata is a dream. I don't have a HS AB, but have read nothing but goodness about them.

I have a Badger Anthem and a Iwata HP-Bplus

I love them both.

The 'only' thing I don't like about the Iwata is that it is harder to clean. But that's it.

Wow thanks so much everyone. Great info to review. Looks like I can't lose with either one of those two!!

Last question....where's some good places to buy these online? i have seen dixieart.com...and tower listed above. Is about $90 then a good deal for the badger patriot?

thanks so much.

brian

Edited by Waltz41

I just checked DixieArt and they have them delivered in the US for $73.50 - $84 if you want a hose and instructions.

If this turns out to be as good as they say, I may sell my Iwata and buy another Patriot.

Edited by CenTexModeler
Look for an Iwata Hi Line with MAC valve. Suh-wheeet.

Agree on the Hi Line. I've got both the Iwata Revolution and the HP-CH (wih MAC valve) and they are great!!

Wish I could get a Custom Micron though but waaayyy too expensive.

Rob

Edited by TOPGUN

I am very pleased with Paasche VL, but would also like to add a grafity feed brush and preferably stay with the same brand.

I found few reviews of Paasche Talon and they are all very positive. Anybody here using it and what is your experience?

I am very pleased with Paasche VL, but would also like to add a grafity feed brush and preferably stay with the same brand.

I found few reviews of Paasche Talon and they are all very positive. Anybody here using it and what is your experience?

I have been using a Talon for a couple of months and am very impressed with its performance. I played with narrow lines and mottling with the medium size tip and got down to pencil size lines. You can make the mottling small as in 1/72 scale.

The tips have been redesigned, they screw in and you can remove the standard crown cap to clean the air cap if it gets dry tip when using acrylics, you can also spray with it off. The handle has a spray adjustment so you can adjust your coverage. I got the full set (TG-F3) with three different tips and needles and the fan cap. The fan cap is great if you have large surfaces to paint.

I've been spraying at 10 PSI and below and get great atomization.

You can get the full kit for $114.00 here: http://www.chicagoairbrushsupply.com/newpatagrai.html

Also listed on the link are the other configurations of the Talon.

Edited by terryt
Saw one review as part of a group review, I think it came third of three of the cheap brushes.

Which airbrush are you referring to, because the Talon I have is comparable in performance to a Iwata HP-CS. A plus for the Talon is the paint adjustment, the Iwata doesn't have one.

I have had an Iwata Eclipse HP-CS for about a year and I love it. Easy to break down and clean and gives me great control. Having said that, A buddy of mine just gave me a brand new Badger Patriot. I have not yet sprayed with it, but everyone I have spoken to who has raves about it.

Stew

Stew,

When you lay the Iwata and the Badger needle side by side, what difference do you see? If there is any.