United buys 787s & A350s

This reminds me of Pan Am's order for 707s and DC-8s, but at least United ordered 25 of each. I can't see how United is going to justify having both the 787 and the A350 in its fleet though. Looking forward to the 787's first flight tomorrow, weather permitting!

:bandhead2:

J

IIRC, Pan Am never took delivery of the Douglas aircraft since the 707's were delivered first. United may be similarly hedging their bets. It wouldn't make any economic sense to operate both types.

Oh but they did. Pan Am flew DC-8-21s all the way through the 1960s..

J

The A350-900 will hold 315, the 787-8 will hold 250. The range of both is about equal. The A350 will replace the 747-400, the 787 will replace the 767-300. They will be capacity-matched to markets I assume.

Regards,

Pig

Friendly-Skies pilot

Edited by Pete "Pig" Fleischmann
So how to you think the 787 will look painted up in UA colors eh Jennings?? :)

:D

Only if it is the red/orange/blue scheme! I hate the current 'shower curtain' scheme. The 1990s one was a little better, if a bit sombre.

J

IIRC, Pan Am never took delivery of the Douglas aircraft since the 707's were delivered first. United may be similarly hedging their bets. It wouldn't make any economic sense to operate both types.

Not only did Pan Am take delivery and operate them they actually had, to start with, a bigger order for the DC8 than the 707...

PA went on to have a massive 707 fleet and never ordered another new aircraft from Douglas again

(and before anybody says anything, PA's DC10's were inherited from national after the merger)

Not only did Pan Am take delivery and operate them they actually had, to start with, a bigger order for the DC8 than the 707...

PA went on to have a massive 707 fleet and never ordered another new aircraft from Douglas again

(and before anybody says anything, PA's DC10's were inherited from national after the merger)

And that why we no longer have a Pan Am ... :thumbsup:

Gregg

And that why we no longer have a Pan Am ... :thumbsup:

Among many, many other reasons, most of which were self-inflicted. But I sure do miss the big blue globe. Wouldn't it look great on a 787?

J

IIRC that was Provincetown & Boston in one of their many guises. They're definitely no longer operating as Pan Am. The name and logo are now owned by a railroad. Google it and you'll find photos of Pan Am locomotives!

Juan Trippe is spinning in his grave.

:thumbsup:

J