Boeing 747-100 *FINISHED!!!!*

Thanks fellas, :woot.gif:

Here's a photo of the interior with the spru anchor studs in place. Each stud has a tiny hole drilled through it, which a strand of wire will be threaded through and into the corresponding stud (arrows indicate corresponding studs), rendering twelve mounting points.

studs1.jpg

While the studs are curing I got the foil applied to the wings' leading edge to good effect, formed the VC Flaps by sanding the excised kit pieces, and am currently scratchbuilding the eighteen extension/retraction arms for the VC Flaps, which has slowed me down a might! :salute: Once the studs are secure I will trim away the spru tree :cheers: and attach the fuselage half on the board to finish working it up.

Take care,

Frank

Edited by oldHooker

Yes... :rolleyes: the time's getting close now.

Here are some photos from the assembly of the VC Flaps; I'm not the type to go running for aftermarket when there's generally all kinds of things you can find laying around the house to use, like the metal screen on the front of an old broke down ceramic heater for instance:

VCflapsbuild1.jpg

VCflapsbuild2.jpg

VCflapsbuild3.jpg

VCflapsbuild4.jpg

VC Flaps dry fitted into position to check fit....

VCflapsbuild5.jpg

VCflapsbuild6.jpg

Also, here's a couple other modifications the old Revell kit needs...

Outboard engine pylon/wing fairing:

enginepylon1.jpg

...and the fairing at the upper wing root:

jointfairing.jpg

Take care, more to follow :)

Frank

Edited by oldHooker

Greetings, :wave:

It was you infact, David, who led me to the light concerning 747 VC and Krüger flaps!

Speaking of which, I thought I would include some photos from the LE foil application from the other day, and the VC Flap attachment of today:

LE foil application:

foilLE.jpg

Landing Lights: I used finishing nails for the bulbs, applied a strip of clear decal over the holes, then applied the precut foil over them... turned out nice! :thumbsup:

ll.jpg

VC Flap application: secured with super glue

VCflapson.jpg

VCflapson2.jpg

VCflapson3.jpg

I need to make and install the Krüger flaps and engine fans, THEN the fuselage gets attached to the work-up board! (I know, FINALLY) Then, the belly foil goes on! :woot.gif:

More to come...

Frank

Thanks Gregg,

After checking my references I concluded the outboard VC Flap stands out too much... tried to fix it on the plane, but that's going to tear the entire flap up, so going to remove it for the fix! Oh well, no rest for the weary! :)

Here are some photos of the restructured outboard VC Flap:

VCflapson4.jpg

VCflapson5.jpg

Frank

Edited by oldHooker

Took a day off, but back at it again today, finishing up the Kruger Flaps and attaching them....

kflaps1.jpg

.... and building/installing the engine fans....

fans.jpg

fans3.jpg

Rubbed the wing down with steel wool to prepare it for the Future thus completing the wing construction. Tomorrow I will attach the fuselage to the woodn board and begin working it up.

Comments and/or questions always welcomed! :thumbsup:

Take care,

Frank

Thanks Gregg,

I found an up close & personal reference showing the mechanism on the inside of the Kruger Flap after finishing mine, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7hcyJ2raAA...feature=related so it's not exactly right, but it will have to do for this one because I'm not going to tear it back off. The upcoming BOAC build (the other side of this one) will have it accurate though.

I was messaged asking if I boxed-in the inside of the wing, so seeing as how I didn't have a camera to record that, I done a drawing that basically shows the process, which was accomplished using sheet styrene....

innerwing.jpg

Updates to come...

Take care,

Frank

Edited by oldHooker

Thanks lacee & Gregg... :woot.gif:

I was holding the board this morning, turning it to get different prospectives when something went "POP", as if the fuselage had been tapped with a pencil... the upper seam was no longer tight against the board, and after removing the screws I found one of the sprue anchor braces had broken loose. So, I'm going to revert back to the tried & tested method of molding Stove Bolts in place with JB Weld for the anchors. On smaller models the sprue/wire method works great, but large ones really need the bolts!

It takes the JB Weld 24 hours to set-up, so in the meantime I will be building the landing gears.

More to come...

Thanks again,

Frank

Simply amazing, Frank!

Fantastic job on the wings, but I must say, the silver engines really look great.

Great work with the diagram, as usual.

Have you thought of putting a collection of your instructions online? They contain some great tips and tricks!

Thanks Gareth & Holmes... :jaw-dropping:

I had actually sent a proposal to Kalmbach Publishing (Mark Thompson) about a book containing homemade/scratched modifications and detailed MID explaination, complete with schematics and in-progress photos,but they declined stating they did not feel there would be enough public interest. Never being one to say "quit", I also sent the idea to SEVEN other hobby & craft publishers and each of them declined for the same reasons. ??

Just to throw in a little *teaser* here for the 747 build before molding the bolts in place.....

teaser1.jpg

Take care,

Frank

Wow, Frank I am in awe mate.

I have been following this thread for some time and am really enjoying seeing what you are doing, just amazing. Actually I thought of you yesterday when I was taking my sister and her family to the airport to go back to the UK. There was a Qantas 737-300 parked up with all the flaps down (full landing) and the spoilers up. Wish I had my camera as it is rare to see them parked like that. She was near the engineering hanger..........so I am sure that explains it. Looked cool though.

Cheers and thanks, I am feeling duly inspired to do something similar to my 1/72 Welsh 737 300 now.

Anthony

Thanks Gareth & Holmes... :)

I had actually sent a proposal to Kalmbach Publishing (Mark Thompson) about a book containing homemade/scratched modifications and detailed MID explaination, complete with schematics and in-progress photos,but they declined stating they did not feel there would be enough public interest. Never being one to say "quit", I also sent the idea to SEVEN other hobby & craft publishers and each of them declined for the same reasons. ??

Just to throw in a little *teaser* here for the 747 build before molding the bolts in place.....

teaser1.jpg

Take care,

Frank

Frank that is COOL!!!

Sorry that they brushed you off.they don't know taent when they see it..

Keep at it!!!

HOLMES :thumbsup:

Edited by HOLMES

Thanks Gareth, Gregg, Anthony, & Holmes.... :)

Gareth, I'm figuring out the Down & Dirty process for a 1/144 747 on this build; will use all the lessons learned on the next one (BOAC plane landing) which will be "how-to" documented from start to finish. That's the one I'd rather have a guide published on. Also, I am making my own decals on this one.

Anthony, I know, every time I see a picture of a 747 with everything hanging out, it's hard not to relate to doing one of these; I wish I could have seen the Quantas bird.... you could have dropped me off there and picked me back up once your sister was in the air! There is an old Northwest -200 stored at Laurinburg-Maxton airport about 80 miles south of here, and was fortunate enough to get a close up look at it a few weeks ago. Never get use to how BIG those things are!!

Gregg & Holmes; You're right Gregg, people have a hard time focusing on anything past the end of their nose!

Most of the decision makers with any company related to modeling are in bed with the aftermarket manufacturers to the extent they don't want to showcase anything that might circumvent their products. Certainly there is nothing wrong with that because it's business, but doing it yourself is a dying art and it would be nice, it seems, to include that aspect of the hobby somewhere. Also, most of my subjects have nothing to do with the "Military", and that handicaps me as well, even though many of the techniques could be applied.

Anyway, here is the process of applying Stove Bolt anchors to the fuselage interior....

bolts1.jpg

bolts2.jpg

bolts3.jpg

bolts4.jpg

bolts5.jpg

bolts6.jpg

bolts7.jpg

bolts8.jpg

bolts9.jpg

bolts10.jpg

.... and the beat goes on

Frank