Academy F-15I

I wasn't screaming really.I'm not sure most people are aware of the necessity of any rail adapter for the P4, since it can be hung on any pylon capable of carrying the Sidewinder in most cases. I know I wasn't aware of it. True on the F-5 and F1, but I think the most common mount for it has been the F-15, and perhaps Kfir.

Not saying you were doing the screaming, but there were others that were also vocal, more so, than your post. That's neither here nor there. While yes, they P3 is most commonly seen on Eagles, even now, and the Kfir, it saw extensive use in the Bekka Valley Turkeyshoot in 1982, claiming many kills. Load outs for missiles were AIM-9s on the wingtips and Python 3s on the outermost underwing stations.

I can honestly say that the information on this thread has been shared with MRC and its been forwarded to Academy with strong endorsement - the ball is in Academy's court now, we just have to wait and see.

... it saw extensive use in the Bekka Valley Turkeyshoot in 1982, claiming many kills. Load outs for missiles were AIM-9s on the wingtips and Python 3s on the outermost underwing stations.

On F-16's? If so, coolness, do you have any pics of that? I have never seen P3's hung on F-16's operationally.But I also don't have the worlds greatest reference library either.

On F-16's? If so, coolness, do you have any pics of that? I have never seen P3's hung on F-16's operationally.But I also don't have the worlds greatest reference library either.

I don't have any pix, but its been confirmed on a couple of different databases on the subject

Tom Cooper's site ACIG.org even mentions it in the F-16A/B Netz in service article

The official count at the end of the war had IDF/AF F-16s credited with a total of 44 air-to-air victories. The vast majority of these were achieved with air-to-air missiles, namely the AIM-9L Sidewinder and the Python 3.

http://www.acig.org/artman/publish/article_276.shtml

http://www.acig.org/artman/publish/article_270.shtml

Supposedly the Royal Thai Air Force also received the Python 3 and is employing it on their F-16s -

In 1995, the RTAF acquired a number of Python 3 missiles, followed by AIM-120 AMRAAM missiles in 2003.

http://www.f-16.net/f-16_users_article20.html

Edited by Fuji
  • 1 month later...

Received yesterday.

What can I say?

It pushes the concept of a weapon set and a kit with it, to the higher level.

Because the box is hard to close due to the sprues number, I began to cut some weapon and added them to the destination boxes:

- GBU-39s (I 'm sad a little, because you only have 4 complete GBU-39 but 2 pylons) for a LN Afghanistan F-15E.

- 2 xAGM-130 + Data link for a OEF F-15E

- 2 x GBU-31 for a F-18.

- 2 x Elta pods for NSAWC adversary hornets.

- 6 GBU-38.

Etc.

no need of Hasegawa weapon set anymore.

Received yesterday.

What can I say?

It pushes the concept of a weapon set and a kit with it, to the higher level.

Because the box is hard to close due to the sprues number, I began to cut some weapon and added them to the destination boxes:

- GBU-39s (I 'm sad a little, because you only have 4 complete GBU-39 but 2 pylons) for a LN Afghanistan F-15E.

- 2 xAGM-130 + Data link for a OEF F-15E

- 2 x GBU-31 for a F-18.

- 2 x Elta pods for NSAWC adversary hornets.

- 6 GBU-38.

Etc.

no need of Hasegawa weapon set anymore.

Do you have a picture of the NSAWC Hornets carrying the Elta ECM pods? Never seen that before or just didnt notice it

This is Derby

612.jpg

Looks like a Sidewinder on steroids and it would be nice if it was included, but since its not used operationally on any F-15, I doubt you'll see Academy put it in any boxing of the Eagle.

So THAT's what Trumpeter put on the wingtips of their 1/32 Superhornet!

• 4 weeks later...

Someone mentioned that the new Academy kits came with a GPS dot. I have both the F-15E OIF and the F15I and I don't see this dot mentioned in the instructions and I can't find it on the sprues? Also, in the F-15I instructions step 9 it mentions parts M5 and M6 pods on the vertical stabilizers and there is not sprue M in this kit, it is sprue N instead, wonder if this was an error. I also thought the pods on the vertical stabilizers were the same and same size on the F-15I, instructions show one small and one large, this has to be wrong also?

Sorry, did not notice that. Guess I will have to scratch build one to put on the Revell F-15E kit. I am using the weapons and all the update parts I can from the Academy kit. The only thing I can't use is the tail booms have extra flare despensers scribed into them, I wish they were PE so I could just glue them on the Revell kit.

• 1 month later...

Personally, I'm partial to one of the loadouts shown in the Isradecal book. Popeyes under each wing, 2x AIM-120 on the left bottom CFT pylon, data link pod under the right bottom CFT on the AFT station, and a centerline tank.

Alternate loadouts:

Python 4/AIM-120/GBU-32 under each wing, GBU-32 on each center bottom CFT station, centerline tank.

OR

6x MK.82 slicks on left CFT, GBU-10 on centerline and under right wing, 2x GBU-12 on front bottom and side right CFT station, and a P4/AIM-120 combo under the left wing.

Someone mentioned that the new Academy kits came with a GPS dot. I have both the F-15E OIF and the F15I and I don't see this dot mentioned in the instructions and I can't find it on the sprues? Also, in the F-15I instructions step 9 it mentions parts M5 and M6 pods on the vertical stabilizers and there is not sprue M in this kit, it is sprue N instead, wonder if this was an error. I also thought the pods on the vertical stabilizers were the same and same size on the F-15I, instructions show one small and one large, this has to be wrong also?

I also have the new F-15I kit and noticed the mistake with the pod parts. It has to be part N32 or 23 (can't remember as it is not in front of me) and they are both the same. I found a link where the kit was built and you can look for all the questions everyone has about the boxing. I am almost ready to paint.

Academy F-15I Ra'am

His photos show some extra rivet's placed on the nose top and I think a lot of re-scribing took place as they are not very deep on the kit.

Pam

Would it be feasable for the F-15I to carry all JDAM's? The GBU38's on the CFT stations and the GBU 31's on the wing pylons with a centerline fuel tank and AMRAM 120C's and Python 4's on the missle rails?

Little Jeff

Yes, even the improved Baz are carrying JDAM these days

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Israel---Ai...-15C/1521651/L/

• 3 weeks later...
How good is the kit in terms of the accuracy etc? Is it worth to buy the Academy rather then Revell+Wolfpack update?

Kasatka,

I just got one of these kits yesterday from my plastic pusher, bob. I priced out buying the kit w/ shipping vs. ordering the wolfpack set, etc. It came out much cheaper to buy the kit as you get cartograf decals and tons of excellent weapons. The Kit is much better detail-wise than earlier offerings and the nice think I like is the parts breakdown still allows you to build it as a B/D.

My plan is to use the F-15I parts to graft onto a revell E, build this kit as a D and use all the weapons for my various other kits.

I haven't gone through it completely, but it also looks as if there are all the parts to build an F-15K as well.

cheers,

Mike