The movie is an artistic, visual masterpiece. It really pulls the viewer in. Unfortunately, the storyline is the same ole, same ole story of (fill in the blank). The characters are stereotypical good guys vs bad guys.

Doesn't that kinda describe Star Wars as well?

I was hoping AVATAR would make me forget about Star Wars and T2. In someways it surpassed both and in others it just did not measure up to either. I give it an 8 out of 10

A little higher than I gave it, but I saw it in 2D. But T2, really? With whiny Edward Furlong, and the terribly hokey thumb up at th end??? And the only thing I could think through that entire movie (and T3 to a lesser extent) is why shoot the liquid metal Terminator again and again, scene after scene, when it achieves little or nothing? I really didn't care for T2 at all. I gotta go see Avatar in 3D to get the full effect,which in my case probably means motion sickness.

Edited by JasonB
[quote I gotta go see Avatar in 3D to get the full effect,which in my case probably means motion sickness.

and/or a migraine.

I got that from the 2D version...

I do like Chukw's summary above

Oh, and I do think it would have been better if they had made the gunships sound less helo like and more ducted fan like, with the sound varying like a hummingbirds or dragonfly wings as they maneuver and the fans changed orientation.

Seriously, who really cares if the flying ships still sound like regular ol choppers and they still shoot weapons with lead bullets?

In 2154, guys still have a pines and woman vaginas. Nothing is ever gonna change. Movies are movies. Enjoy them for what they are,

We'd like to think we know what would have been better, but yet, we're still the ones buying movie tickets instead of making movies.

That said, I enjoyed the movie.

Edited by Pickles
Doesn't that kinda describe Star Wars as well?

One of my tests for that sort of thing is, will we remember the character's names 20-30 years from now like we do Luke Skywalker, Han Solo, Darth Vader, etc

A little higher than I gave it, but I saw it in 2D. But T2, really? With whiny Edward Furlong, and the terribly hokey thumb up at th end??? And the only thing I could think through that entire movie (and T3 to a lesser extent) is why shoot the liquid metal Terminator again and again, scene after scene, when it achieves little or nothing? I really didn't care for T2 at all. I gotta go see Avatar in 3D to get the full effect,which in my case probably means motion sickness.

I think Cameron's The Abyss is a much better movie than T2 ... ALIENS is my favorite by him ...

Gregg

I think Cameron's The Abyss is a much better movie than T2 ... ALIENS is my favorite by him ...

Gregg

The Abyss had a much a much better story line until the whole thing went to shite in a hand basket during the last 5 minutes. I was so offended by how stoooooooooooopid the ending was I haven't seen it since.

This is a typical Cameron quality movie, in plot. Dances with Wolves pretty much nails it, though the Sci-Fi setting allows for some neat plot devices. Character development is passable, has some very amusing dialogue at times. Visually I can't expend enough superlatives to do it justice. And that was just the 2-D version.

The Abyss had a much a much better story line until the whole thing went to shite in a hand basket during the last 5 minutes. I was so offended by how stoooooooooooopid the ending was I haven't seen it since.

What offended you, out of curiosity? I thought it was far and away better than the trite climaxes brought by a number of cheap imitations at the time (Deep Star Six and Leviathan among them).

What offended you, out of curiosity? I thought it was far and away better than the trite climaxes brought by a number of cheap imitations at the time (Deep Star Six and Leviathan among them).

While I wasn't offended by the ending of "The Abyss", I think it could have been better. Though it must be noted that the theatrical release had a little different ending than originally planned, and as shown on TV. But if people are upset by message movies, that ending probably wouldn't have sat well either, with the aliens ticking off all of mans ills and threatening the world with annihilation by flood, stopped only because of Buds effort and sacrifice to save them. Still, I'm not sure how they would have ended it much differently then they did, unless they had the warhead exploding, but the aliens stopping it mid explosion or some such. Deep Star 6 and Leviathan, UGH!

As far as Avatar having an unoriginal story, well, I would be hard pressed to name a movie that actually has an original story and plot these days. Large robots bashing each other repeatedly, mixed in with large doses of explosives, does not qualify.

For anyone who is staying away due to the perceived commie pinko tree hugging aboriginal loving "message" of the movie, just out of curiosity, what side were you rooting for in Independence Day? :P

For anyone who is staying away due to the perceived commie pinko tree hugging aboriginal loving "message" of the movie, just out of curiosity, what side were you rooting for in Independence Day? :P

I know by the end of Armageddon, I was pulling for the asteroid. Good point though.

Great Movie. I think that the Na'vi represent the great spirit that we humans have. Besides Jake the hero was a human himself and if some one destroyed my home looking for something that wasn't theirs to take I would ride a giant lizard bird and fight them too! It was like Aliens meets Ferngully! Most detailed well made movie I have probably ever seen.

For me, the amazing thing about the movie was the quality of the graphics. The animation was very intense, and the characters reacted and responded as close to life as I have ever seen.

A good story, not epic, but the visuals and the technology were first rate.

I intend on getting it on Blue Ray when it comes out, just so I can keep the sharpness and clarity.

Only thing is, I need a Blue Ray player, hahahaha

in the scenes with the military there were strong vietnam-esque themes running, esp with the helos - which again referenced current helo trademarks *cough* apache ( similar to Aliens) - in addition noticed they rendered onto the ac the matra rocket pods the RNZAF have!

also had a chuckle that a lot of the rifles on the film appeared to be sci-fi'd up AUGs ( no surprises there!)

RNZAF has never had Matra rocket pods.

The rifles were Ruger Mini 14 actions mounted into prop gun 'chassis' The guns were pretty unreliable as the they were semi auto mini-14s the armourers had to modify to full auto, and they had a tendency to jam and break.

Just saw it today. Definitely a beautifully done movie..CGI was amazing. But I feel the story belongs in some Disney cartoon...Didn't live up to all the hype.

Still, some cool action scenes and some really interesting aircraft...Valkyrie TAV and the Dragon Gunship are a couple favorites :blink:

-Awan

:thumbsup: :D :jaw-dropping:

I watched it yesterday. Before watching it, I wanted to believe all the fuss was just, well, fuss.

However, it was one of the greatest movies I've ever seen. Really. After the film ended, I stayed a little more seated, trying to recover and absorb the experience. My jaw droped just the same as I watched Star Wars back in 77. And then I was only 11 and didn't know a lot about good movies. I think Avatar will be as influential as SW was, not because it will spawn a host of merchandise, but because the history is good and properly told, in a new manner.

Saw it with the family. I thought it was very entertaining, well done. On the Disney side though or GI Joe or Transformers. Kids went crazy over it. Wouldn't rate as good as Titanic, but was something new and well done.

Big Texan

Wife and I saw it in 3D yesterday. I thought it felt like eating a buffet in a 5-star Vegas hotel: bigger, better, tastier, prettier, grander than all other buffets, but still just a buffet. Its story broke no new grounds, but all the eye candies made the old story that much more compelling. Yes we did enjoy the movie.

Terry

For some reason, I have no real desire to see this movie. I couldn't even tell you what it's about!

Maybe it's because of all the hype I've seen and heard. Most often, for me at least, the movies never seems to live up to the hype.

A prime example is the movie "Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow". At the time, there was a bunch of hype about it, even here on ARC. I couldn't even get thru the first 5 minutes.

I may rent AVATAR once it comes out on DVD.

You may want to consider seeing it while its in the theaters. One of the big draws about it is the use of 3-D, which I'm not sure will be available on DVD. I saw it in 2-D, and even though I have wanted to go back to get the full effect, I haven't convinced myself that I could stand it. I got a pretty good headache just from the 2-D, the full 3-D would probably wreak havoc on me (motion sickness and a migraine likely). Still, I somehow think I missed the full experience.