For some reason, I have no real desire to see this movie. I couldn't even tell you what it's about!

Maybe it's because of all the hype I've seen and heard. Most often, for me at least, the movies never seems to live up to the hype.

A prime example is the movie "Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow". At the time, there was a bunch of hype about it, even here on ARC. I couldn't even get thru the first 5 minutes.

I may rent AVATAR once it comes out on DVD.

To be honest neither did I, but the wife had seen it in 2D with her work, and wanted to see it in 3D so I tagged along. In 3D it was amazing, it's definitely a movie to see at the cinema.

Saw it in 3D last night and I must confess I am disapointed... Even the great CGI effects and 3D effects couldn't overweight the poor predictable story full of cliches... I'd give it 6.5/10

And my impression is exactly the opposite. Visually stunning, far beyond anything done before. Just as important, a good yarn!

I can honestly say this is the best movie I've ever seen...and that covers a whole lotta territory!

:thumbsup: Les (Friendly Airplane Asylum flack)

I've heard the same thing about the movie. I don't plan to see it. I've also read reviews that say although the CGI is fantastic, the story line & plot is lame and the message is clearly left-leaning. I want to be entertained when I see a movie, not lectured to.

I wish I had taken your advice or followed your lead. I took one of my sons to see it, and although together, we saw two different movies. He saw a cool action flick, I saw a tired leftist interpretation of present day events. Interestingly, I've already seen this movie..when it was called Battle for Terra .

If you don't want to spend your hard-earned money on leftist political prostelization, I'd suggest missing this one.

Regards,

Pig

I take it that the opposite (rightist?) message is that corporate interests trump all rights and considerations of native inhabitants, and displacing/slaughtering them to gain whatever natural resource is required/desired is justifiable? Can you imagine a film made to be 180 degrees opposite of this one? Would that be more palatable?

Oh, present day events? How about the history of humankind?

As asked previously, who was rooting for the aliens in "Independence Day"?

Edited by JasonB
I take it that the opposite (rightist?) message is that corporate interests trump all rights and considerations of native inhabitants, and displacing/slaughtering them to gain whatever natural resource is required/desired is justifiable? Can you imagine a film made to be 180 degrees opposite of this one? Would that be more palatable?

Jason, you know me, I'm all for spreading the liberal message. But I kind of agree with the other side this time because I believe sci-fi's should avoid touching contemporary politics in order to be "timeless". I'd watch any drama/comedy/action/whatever with any political tilt, but for sci-fi films, the messages they carry should transcend political views. That's just my opinion.

Cheers,

Terry

PS: I didn't root for the Aliens in ID4, but I did cheer when the Titanic finally sank. I cheered even more when Jack died. :)

Edited by loftycomfort

Why does Sci-Fi have to be limited to strictly 'entertainment' and not cover serious themes? Sci-fi doesn't mean that it has to be brainless or pointless (Transformers not withstanding). Even Star Wars had a theme/undercurrent (good against evil, and good is, well, good). Many people liked District 9 and its every bit as "timely" and present day as Avatar (Apartheid). And unless enslaving a people/species and treating them however you like sits well with someone, District 9 was, I would think, every bit as "leftist" as Avatar. Yet I didn't hear much about its 'message' when it was around. The Watchmen was popular, and it was not neutral in many ways. Dark Knight? As I recall a lot of people liked the message in it, because it carried the "you do whatever you have to do to win" mentality. I guess thats the rightist philosophy? Screw morals, just win?

Honestly, I'm not sure why the format of the film would matter.Whether it be a Drama/Western (Dances with Wolves) cartoon (Pocohontas) sci-fi (Avatar) or Musical (The Sound of Music). OK, not The Sound of Music, but you get the idea. Sci-fi can be every bit as thought provoking as any other format, and I think it should be. Again,forget Transformers.

Think of Avatar with the exact opposite slant. Is that the message anyone can really get behind. Honestly? What would be the middle ground? Only a few of them get slaughtered, they realize the hopelessness of their cause, they drop their entire belief system and become assimilated? Later they are put on reservations or in internment camps, in the crappiest areas of Pandora and thank the humans for improving their lives?

I saw it in 3D and loved it.

The visuals overwhelmed any shortcomings or political messages in the story for me.

Yes there were a few times where they went overboard with the message but in each instance it was only moments before the visuals re-captivated me.

I'd say it's an absolute must see big screen movie simply for the incredible special effects.

:cheers:

Why does Sci-Fi have to be limited to strictly 'entertainment' and not cover serious themes? Sci-fi doesn't mean that it has to be brainless or pointless (Transformers not withstanding). Even Star Wars had a theme/undercurrent (good against evil, and good is, well, good). Many people liked District 9 and its every bit as "timely" and present day as Avatar (Apartheid). And unless enslaving a people/species and treating them however you like sits well with someone, District 9 was, I would think, every bit as "leftist" as Avatar. Yet I didn't hear much about its 'message' when it was around. The Watchmen was popular, and it was not neutral in many ways. Dark Knight? As I recall a lot of people liked the message in it, because it carried the "you do whatever you have to do to win" mentality. I guess thats the rightist philosophy? Screw morals, just win?

Honestly, I'm not sure why the format of the film would matter.Whether it be a Drama/Western (Dances with Wolves) cartoon (Pocohontas) sci-fi (Avatar) or Musical (The Sound of Music). OK, not The Sound of Music, but you get the idea. Sci-fi can be every bit as thought provoking as any other format, and I think it should be. Again,forget Transformers.

Think of Avatar with the exact opposite slant. Is that the message anyone can really get behind. Honestly? What would be the middle ground? Only a few of them get slaughtered, they realize the hopelessness of their cause, they drop their entire belief system and become assimilated? Later they are put on reservations or in internment camps, in the crappiest areas of Pandora and thank the humans for improving their lives?

Jason,

I didn't mean sci-fi should be strictly mindless entertainment. Quite the contrary, my favourite sci-fi's are all thought-provoking films - 2001 Space Odyssey, Solaris, Gattaca. What I meant was I prefer not to see messages of a contemporary political nature in sci-fi films. What is considered left/right today (and trendy to discuss, or debate over) will be sooo irrelevent in 20 years time, so putting that message in a film that's supposed to be futuristic basically limits its futuristic shelf life to as long as that message is relevent.

With that said, I did enjoy both Avatar and Transformers, A LOT!

Cheers,

Terry

Jason,

I didn't mean sci-fi should be strictly mindless entertainment. Quite the contrary, my favourite sci-fi's are all thought-provoking films - 2001 Space Odyssey, Solaris, Gattaca. What I meant was I prefer not to see messages of a contemporary political nature in sci-fi films. What is considered left/right today (and trendy to discuss, or debate over) will be sooo irrelevent in 20 years time, so putting that message in a film that's supposed to be futuristic basically limits its futuristic shelf life to as long as that message is relevent.

With that said, I did enjoy both Avatar and Transformers, A LOT!

Cheers,

Terry

Gattaca- Excellent film. And very timely don't you think?I Just read that they can determine the sex of a baby at, I believe, 5 weeks now. How long before they know its physical characteristics/deformities/possible lifelong health issues? And that film was made 12 or 13 years ago. A film thats action adventure with a similar theme is "The 6th Day" with Arnie. I liked it even though it was out there a bit, but who know? Solaris was little TOO cerebral for me, but I got it. It had a really interesting vibe about it.

And as Zacto said about Avatar, they did lay it on a little much at some points, and I said as much in my initial comments on the film. Cameron's not known for being subtle. You probably liked it better than I did, actually. I think the basic message is timeless and has probably been discussed throughout human history. Its just being presented in new ways.

Edited by JasonB

I will admit, it was visually stunning, and the basic story line, while recycled, worked out well. All during the movie I kept thinking I was watching a kind of 'Dances with Wolves' remake.

There were a few gaping holes in the plot, and the 'corporate' characters were verrryyyy shallow, I did enjoy the movie.

Id give it a 7 out of 10.

Don't forget, Star Wars had a hint of encist too, but it's not like the farmer boy from Tatooine knew about it. The poor sap...

And those Ewoks were more than a little friendly with Chewy in ROTJ. I think that might qualify as well!

Edited by JasonB
But I kind of agree with the other side this time because I believe sci-fi's should avoid touching contemporary politics in order to be "timeless".

PS: I didn't root for the Aliens in ID4, but I did cheer when the Titanic finally sank. I cheered even more when Jack died. :thumbsup:

My goodness, what could be more timeless than bashing your neighbor over the head because they have something you want?! That theme was old when Rome ruled the world. Why people now have to project our current world situation into it is beyond me. What, you think "corporations" didn't impact the politics of the Empire (Roman, Aztec, Mayan or any of the Chinese dynasties to name a few)? OK, change "corporation" to "wealthy landowners", or whomever else had wealth to drive politics at any other time in human history. Guilty conscience or something?

On the other note, I think I wore out the rewinder on my kid's VHS of Titanic just to watch Jack slip into the deep...

Oh ... i.n.c.e.s.t. .... Nothing more than a good kiss with whom he shared the womb with ...

As noted, prior to ... knowing that is ...

It's amazing how perceptions change. The first time I saw "The Empire Strikes Back," nobody knew Luke and Leia were related, and their kiss was greeted with loud cheers and wolf-whistles. When I saw the 1997 re-vamps, the same kiss was greeted with a unanimous "eeeeewwwww!!!!" One guy even yelled out "Dude, she's your sister!!"

As for Avatar, I saw it over the weekend (in 2D.) An enjoyable film, with stunning visuals, but the one-dimensional characters and cliched, predictable story will keep it from being one of my all-time faves. I'd still like to catch it in 3D, and will probably end up buying the DVD (or Blue Ray.)

SN

Am I the o ly one who enjoyed the "villan" performance by the head of security/military dude? Man I thought he stole the screen every scene he was in. Perhaps a "hard core" stereotype but fun none the less :)

Am I the o ly one who enjoyed the "villan" performance by the head of security/military dude? Man I thought he stole the screen every scene he was in. Perhaps a "hard core" stereotype but fun none the less :)

Nope, I liked his performance as well. Good actor. Loved the scene with him in the gunship...holding the lifer juice mug.

"It is my job to keep you alive, I will not succeed. Not with all of you."

Saw it today in 3D and its a great movie.

I would have to agree with another post that said it is an experience.

I go to movies for the action, visuals, and pure entertainment value. I don't care if there is a message there or not. Avatar had a message, but it was not over the top like a Roland Emmerich film. And it more or less got overshadowed by this experience JC created.

I never go to a movie looking to read into it beyond what I can see. If it leaves an impression on me, or later on I start to remember things I saw or heard in the movie that make me think beyond what i saw, then great, it is just that much better of a movie.

Will definitely be buying it.

Saw it today in 3D and its a great movie.

I would have to agree with another post that said it is an experience.

I go to movies for the action, visuals, and pure entertainment value. I don't care if there is a message there or not. Avatar had a message, but it was not over the top like a Roland Emmerich film. And it more or less got overshadowed by this experience JC created.

Echo pretty much all of that - went to see it today, caught it on the large screen in 3D, loved it. I am told you can get the 3D effect on an HD box, if so bash on as I felt it was intelligently used in this (pretty amazingly visual) film to great effect :cheers:

Patrick

It may be that the 'interpretation' of current events is off. While some believe that there is currently an 'occupation' and an 'unjust gain in resources' others may believe there was a liberation of a people from a truly oppressive regime that was a destabilizing force in the region whose resources were subject to draconian sanctions but sold for the benefit of one family.

History will inevitably produce a verdict. I believe this 'interpretation' of current events as depicted in Avatar is premature and it will date the film.

It may be that the 'interpretation' of current events is off. While some believe that there is currently an 'occupation' and an 'unjust gain in resources' others may believe there was a liberation of a people from a truly oppressive regime that was a destabilizing force in the region whose resources were subject to draconian sanctions but sold for the benefit of one family.

History will inevitably produce a verdict. I believe this 'interpretation' of current events as depicted in Avatar is premature and it will date the film.

How does that apply to Avatar? Avatar is about a native people (such as the American Indian, Australian Aborigine, South African or Mexican/Latin American native peoples) being eradicated because someone (in this case a corporation) who is more powerful wants to take their land and/or resources for profit. Not about one country invading another and occupying it or 'liberating' it from an oppressive regime. There is no "regime" change in Avatar. Their is no 'bad' dictator that sells their resources for profit that the humans have overthrown to free the Na'vi from repression. There is a "shock and awe" line, though. Apples and Oranges really. Unless you believe that those examples I cited have been shown to be acceptable or justifiable over the course of history, I would think you can see the big difference.Perhaps not.

By the way, that "oppressive' regime was A-Ok while they were killing Iranians, weren't they?Want a picture of Donald Rumsfeld shaking hands with Saddam? Who gets the greatest percentage of money from the oil in Saudi Arabia? Or Libya?Or Kuwait?