I'm surprised that so many here have said they didn't like it.

I loved it!

Saw it in 3-D. I've seen a few other 3-D movies but nothing even close to this!

In fact I need to see it again because I was so overwhelmed by the 3-D that I wasn't paying attention to the plot for the first several minutes.

It was amazing. When the movie ended the crowd not only cheered but most didn't leave. People stood in the aisles and talked to each other about how good it was!

Dances with wolves? I don't know. I saw it years ago when it first came out and found it completely forgettable.

I won't be forgetting this movie!!!

As expensive as it was to make and the fact that it took like 10 years to make, I wonder how long we'll have to wait to see another movie with this level of special effects?

The Pre-shading on Smeagol is completely unrealistic. Also his color is supposed to be RLM02, not that light grey color.

"Smeagol likes RLM colors, yessis..."

Edited by toadwbg

From Wiki ...

In the first edition of The Hobbit Tolkien made no reference to Gollum's size, leading several illustrators to portray him as being very large.[6] Tolkien realized the omission, and clarified in later editions that he was of average hobbit size. The Lord of the Rings characterizes him as slightly larger than Sam.

Tolkien describes Gollum as either dark, bone-white or sallow (pale yellow): at one point the Men of Ithilien mistake his silhouette (seen from a distance) for a tailless black squirrel. In a manuscript written to guide illustrators to the appearance of his characters, Tolkien explained this by saying that Gollum had pale skin, but wore dark clothes and was often seen in poor light.[7] The Hobbit states he has pockets, in which he keeps a tooth-sharpening-rock, goblin teeth, wet shells, and a scrap of bat wing. Despite these details, he is generally depicted wearing a loincloth or naked in illustrations and adaptations.

Gollum's appearance also changes slightly depending on which personality is dominant: his luminous eyes would appear pale yellow when calm or when Sméagol is in control and green when angry or when Gollum was in control. In the films the personality changes were represented as changes in the size of Gollum's pupils: when Sméagol was in control they would be dilated, and when Gollum was in control they would be contracted.

The Hobbit describes him as thin, with only six teeth.[8] Comparing him to Shelob, one of the Orcs describes him as "rather like a spider himself, or perhaps like a starved frog."

Gollum is described as emaciated and gaunt, but possessing a vicious, wiry strength; in The Fellowship of the Ring, Aragorn states "his malice gives him a strength hardly to be imagined." In The Two Towers, Gollum's grip is described as "soft, but horribly strong" as Gollum wrestles with Sam.

Gregg

:trolls:

There was a question asked and I gave my thoughts about the question ...

Your post hasn't exactly put it back on topic ... :doh:

As for Avatar, seen how much money it's pulled in worldwide ?

I'm not really surprised though, with Sherlock Holmes being the only movie that could attract audience away right now ...

Gregg

Edited by GreyGhost
As for Avatar, seen how much money it's pulled in worldwide ?

One billion dollars worldwide as of yesterday. It's now in the top five of all time. Interesting to see Cameron with numbers one and five. Will he end up with one and two? It's still got a lot of legs.

One billion dollars worldwide as of yesterday. It's now in the top five of all time. Interesting to see Cameron with numbers one and five. Will he end up with one and two? It's still got a lot of legs.

Lots of legs and no real competition ...

Gregg

Only three weeks in so it should have no trouble reaching up a couple more spots. It will pass batman for sure, since I believe that was around a billion, which will put it at 4.

I think number two is highly possible, with number one slightly less.

While there have been 3D movies before this and my wife and I have seen several of them, IMO this was the first one to fully take advantage of the technology. (Up and Coroline also used it well) I left thinking I had seen a quantum leap in cinema technology, similar to the first talking movie (which probably had a lame plot). Anatar is going to have a lasting impact on the entertainment industry.

We saw it New Years day in a packed theater two weeks after it was released. People applauded at the end of it. How often do you see that happen?

Clarence

I've seen it twice in the theater already, the first time in 3D and the second in 2D. Incredible on both counts. This baby has legs though. I'm betting it takes the 2 or 3 spot. It might take a while and a spring/Oscar re-release, but it will do it.

I just got back from seeing it in iMax 3D. Oh. My. GOD.

While I can see what some are naysaying for some of the plot stuff it is still just insanely good!!! I'll admit, I hate all of humanity just a little bit right now, but I'll get over it. The Roddenberry side of me still has hope for our distant future.

I don't think I've watched a movie in a theatre more than once since the first Star Wars was released, but this will no doubt be an exception.

Well...what is it.

3rd or 4th in the list of highest grosing films of all time so far?

titanic is up at no.1 with $1,835,300,000.

Lord of the rings: the return of the kinds is at no.2 with $1,118,888,979

So maybe give Avatar another 4 weeks and i think it could do it easily!!!

David

Outstanding 3d effects,I was jumping out of my seat!!.But not an original idea,this is the Dances with Wolves plus some Warhammer 40.000 effects plus some Apocalipto dressing..... :wacko:

The choppers where nice,some mix between Black Hawks and Apaches,really nice ones.

Visually,a good film,but an already seen screenplay..

I.Martin

I saw it in IMAX 3D last night. Visually spectacular. Loved the gunships and firefight scenes. Agree that it's an old storyline, and I'm not the world's biggest sci-fi fan (please don't kill and/or berate me), but this is an absolute must-see for the visuals alone.

Justin

Saw it last night in 3d, wished I'd chosen 2d.

The CG scenes were great in 3d, although the spatial separation between channels seemed exaggerated, but the live action stuff was annoying, as the shallow depth of field meant that you couldn't look around the scene as you would in a true 3d view.

Story was predictable, but not unexpected. Visuals were stunning.

And now for a 'spoiler'...

poca-ava1.gif