I believe it is a Leftie lecture on the evils of Capitalism and Colonialism. If I want a lecture,a Tut ,Tut and a spanking I can get it for free from my wife. It's in 3D too!

rapa

Just how this movie's success will be judged, by it's box office ... And James Cameron's wallet ...

Gregg

3D or nothing for this movie. IT doesn't have things jumping out at you but it gives every shot depth, and takes the experience from a flat movie screen to a more-real, immersive experience. I can't wait to see more movies like this. The plot was pretty straightforward. If you've seen the trailers, you get it. But honestly, this movie was as much about showing off the technology as the plot. It was a study in CGI and 3D/Imax technology, as the Next Big Thing in movies. And as that, it succeeded greatly. As far as depth goes, the 3D was about as deep as it got. The plot was lifted from a bunch of different sources, from Dances with Wolves to Dune, and numerous other stories starting with D. The characters were very straightforward, with little-to-no twists about them.

That's enough complaining. It was an absolutely incredible achievement in filmmaking, and a fun movie to watch. Exciting in parts, scary in parts, only a few laughs from the audience, but they were well placed and fit the characters. (By the way, if you're deathly afraid of heights, have fun!) The in-movie technology was incredible, from the spaceships to the powered suits, to the helicopter gunships, to that one bigass gunship. Although, the Big Gunship wasn't very practical, unless it was primarily a cargo aircraft, and what was with 2 complete, separated cockpits? Here's a question for those-in-the-know: Could a helicopter like the little gunships fly? Could it fly well? Would it have any advantages/disadvantages over current types?

Don't know about how they would do in reality, but I would love to see a nice kit of this

What interests me about this design is with the enclosed rotors being all moving, it would seem this would get rid of the need for collective and cyclic functions needed in traditional helos. Those would be achieved simply by tilting the fans as needed. Though this may cause issues with forward motion and lift. The more the fans are tilted to provide forward motion, the less lift it would have. Current helos use cyclic to change the blade angle as they rotate to provide thrust. With this blades being fixed and enclosed, that wouldn't appear possible. I would think this configuration would be a bit quieter than shown in the movie, maybe getting rid of some of the "fwap, fwap, fwap" sound that the rotors make on current helos. Probably sound more like a large box fan. The bigger question I guess is why rotary wing aircraft, not much more advanced than todays helos, were being used 150 years in the future, considering the other technology thats been developed (like nearly light speed travel)?

Edited by JasonB

I really enjoyed the science facts in this movie- or rather technology that will become fact 100+ years from now. Spacetravel, colonizing other worlds, gravity and different atmospheres on alien worlds, alien wildlife and cultures.

I didn't dig the heavy-handed preaching in this film, but I was able to overlook it in light of the films other achievements.

I just saw it in 2 D with my daughter and we both throughly enjoyed it and we feel it is without a doubt the best movie we've ever seen.....and we've seen plenty of movies. Her and I are big action/Sci-fi fans and this movie was right up our alley. We plan to see it in 3D once it gets to the local IMAX. The story was not new.......but much of the finer details of the "alien" planet were new ideas.

I definitely plan to catch this one..although the preachiness does kind of dampen my enthusiasm a bit.

That helo gunship looks to me like a rotary-wing version of the Drop Ship from Aliens (which I've always thought was uber cool.)

SN

Hello there!

Today I watched the Avatar in 3D. I can’t find proper words to express all my emotions and feelings I tested while watching, using language other than my native tongue. I was really switched on. Some moments I felt my eyes wet. It was great! It was amazing! It was awesome! Some scenes were really breath-taking.

Someone very talented has created amazing and beautiful world with fantastically real vegetation, incredible animals and other living things. It’s a great work of artists, animators and whole those guys who gifted us two hours of that fantastic show. And then, I think the movie asks: what are we living for? What the civilized man can bring to those who living in compliance and harmony with Nature? He things that he able to change everything, breaking the laws of Nature, acting like Neanderthal with latest weapon in his hands…

But to be honest, those military things shown are also amazing. Can’t believe they exist only in virtual world.

THE MOVIE IS REALLY WORTH SEEING!!

Cheers!

Alexander.

--just realised the 3D glasses are the 'Polaroid' type

gives me an excuse to see it again..........? it's gota happen

btw - to the sceptics.............it's an entertaining movie guys ! - I don't think they were aiming for any Academy Awards (maybe for effects .....?)

Edited by ixgr1

I just read a review over on Aint it Cool News that really summed up my feelings about the characters: I'll invisotext it so people won't get spoiled.

the Ribisi character was 18 times more interesting when Paul Reiser was playing him and he was named Carter Burke.
The Col. Quaritch character was more interesting in THE ABYSS when he was going insane and was played by Michael Biehn.
The mech-suit was cooler in ALIENS when it was a forklift

This was posted on that site today, and it's almost word-for-word what I said when I left the theater.

Oh yeah, I forgot a few other things that took me out of the fantasy. Was there oxygen on Pandora? If not, how did fire burn? Aren't oxygen and chlorine the only elements that support combustion? For all the high-techness of the weaponry, the gunships still fire Hellfires and ASRAAM's 100+ years from now? And whose bright idea was it to put a glass cockpit on a ground combat vehicle?! And, 4 words: Giant Robot Bowie Knife. (actually, in an alien jungle that might not be too bad of an idea. Even the gunships had brush/wire cutters on the blade-rings)

Edited by RedHeadKevin

Guy's, seriously don't overthink this. The movie requires evil for the good guys to struggle against. Having never oppressed anybody, I don't take the message personally.

This is just a movie that you need to see for the 3-D. Is it perfect? no. Is it the coolest thing you ever saw? Yes.

Michael Biehn was originally cast to play the Col. in this one, but Cameron thought having him and Sigourney Weaver both in the movie would make people believe they were remaking Aliens. I actually liked the way they handled this guy better, I thought Biehn in The Abyss was just a little too fruity. If you didn't recognize him, the guy that played the Col. also played General Pickett in "Gettysburg"

There could have very well been oxygen in the atmosphere, but just in the wrong concentration, or too many other chemicals. The Earths atmosphere is only 20% oxygen/80% Nitrogen, perhaps on this world it was 10 percent, mixed with 90 percent something else.

I still thought he should have used the dropships from Aliens and tied the 2 together a little.

Oh yeah, I forgot a few other things that took me out of the fantasy. Was there oxygen on Pandora? If not, how did fire burn? Aren't oxygen and chlorine the only elements that support combustion? For all the high-techness of the weaponry, the gunships still fire Hellfires and ASRAAM's 100+ years from now? And whose bright idea was it to put a glass cockpit on a ground combat vehicle?! And, 4 words: Giant Robot Bowie Knife. (actually, in an alien jungle that might not be too bad of an idea. Even the gunships had brush/wire cutters on the blade-rings)

These are the things that fascinated me about the movie. My interpetation is that both the gravity and oxygen were very low (perhaps also different mix of Nitrogen/Oxygen/Carbon Dioxide in the atmosphere). Note it's affect on the biology and ecosystem with the large tall trees, tall Avatars, flying creatures, larger porportional lungs and most wildlife with seperate "lung holes" closer to their chest cavity- seperate from their mouth for more efficient breathing.

Giant Bowie Knife- I think that's an homage to Rambo! Loved the Mech-suits. No doubt a tip of the hat to one of Cameron's earlier Aliens movie. In fact you see a LOT of parallels to some of his earlier movies.

I believe it is a Leftie lecture on the evils of Capitalism and Colonialism. If I want a lecture,a Tut ,Tut and a spanking I can get it for free from my wife. It's in 3D too!

rapa

I've heard the same thing about the movie. I don't plan to see it. I've also read reviews that say although the CGI is fantastic, the story line & plot is lame and the message is clearly left-leaning. I want to be entertained when I see a movie, not lectured to.

This looks a lot like the Alien Dropship. One could possibly make an approximation of one from the Halcyon kit. They go for about $150 on ebay when they show up.

Edit: Well, maybe not. It is pretty different. Just the configuration is similar. Still, one could use the dropship as a shell and scratchbuild the rest. Maybe it will be kitted.

Edit again: I see others have already commented about the similarity to the dropship. I should have read the entire thread first!

Edited by DutyCat

I saw an interview with cameron on Sky abiut this movie and he says that he has had this movie forming in his mind for some mnay years , whislt he read science foction and other science genre. books literature etc and he said he had to have the right moment to make this movie, and this WAS THE RIGHT MOMENT to make it ...and SO

there you have it..Still not seen it SO PLEASE no SPOILERS ...about anything..PLEASE...

THANK YOU...HOLMES :wub:

P.S BTW.. CAMERON was given his STAR by Hollywoood .....He is officially GOOD NOW !!! :wub:

Edited by HOLMES

I envy those of you that can make the premier of a new movie.

These days I have to wait until it comes out on DVD.......and even then it's a struggle. I'm about a year behind in my movie viewing. I just saw "The Wrestler" last week.....pathetic. It used to be I'd be there on the opening night but that was BK.

I saw an interview with cameron on Sky abiut this movie and he says that he has had this movie forming in his mind for some mnay years , whislt he read science foction and other science genre. books literature etc and he said he had to have the right moment to make this movie, and this WAS THE RIGHT MOMENT to make it ...and SO

there you have it..Still not seen it SO PLEASE no SPOLIERS ...about anything..PLEASE...

THANK YOU...HOLMES :wub:

P.S BTW.. CAMERON was given his STAR by Hollywoood .....He is officially GOOD NOW !!! :wub:

Holmes, Hollywood doesn't give those Stars away, they are paid for by friends,family, fans, etc of the recipient ...

Gregg

I don't think you'll ever be able to make a movie vehicle with a tandem, attack-helicopter-type cockpit, stub wings carrying weapons, and a green paintjob and NOT make comparisons to the Aliens Dropship. I think the moving wing rotors reminded me more of the vehicles from The Incredibles, or the ornithopters from Dune. As far as using a Halcyon dropship as a base for this, no way. You'd probably be just as well off to use a SuperCobra kit. Maybe a Volkswagen.

There is a Pandorapedia site with some articles concerning creatures and vehicles in the movie. Beware spoilers, however. From my own reading from other discussions on the movie, I can say that there are explanations as to why

they are limited to using mid-21st century hardware on Pandora

Regarding the atmosphere, as someone noted fire, you can have an atmosphere mix utilizing oxygen, yet remain toxic to humans.

Meanwhile, I've got tickets to a showing this afternoon. It should be fun.

I'd heard what I figured was hype about the CGI in Avatar being "groundbreaking". Yeah, right. Sure, whatever. CGI is CGI. I'm so glad to report that I was 100% wrong! The CGI in this film is truly groundbreaking. More accurately it's jaw-dropping. Besides being a great story with a great message, it's just a wild ride for over 2 hours. I'm not even sad that I paid full price on opening weekend to see it. The 3D effect really works. There's one scene where there are burning embers floating in the air, and I actually found myself ducking because it looked like it was about to land in my lap!

Definitely a 12/10 in my book!

J

I've heard the same thing about the movie. I don't plan to see it. I've also read reviews that say although the CGI is fantastic, the story line & plot is lame and the message is clearly left-leaning. I want to be entertained when I see a movie, not lectured to.

Oh come on already! Please... It's a MOVIE. It's entertainment. The story is excellent, the plot is excellent, and if you're uncomfortable with anything in life that has an opinion that varies from yours, then you're in for a very sad little life. Would you be upset by a movie that extolled the evils of the Third Reich because it "lectured" you? I'm betting not. Maybe this one hits a little too close to home for you?

Sheesh...

J

Edited by Jennings
Oh come on already! Please... It's a MOVIE. It's entertainment. The story is excellent, the plot is excellent, and if you're uncomfortable with anything in life that has an opinion that varies from yours, then you're in for a very sad little life. Would you be upset by a movie that extolled the evils of the Third Reich because it "lectured" you? I'm betting not. Maybe this one hits a little too close to home for you?

Sheesh...

J

Very nice said!

Away from technical details, its a very nice and entertaining show with very nice and spectacular background, sometimes looking incredible. Just shut down your critical mind, simply enjoy!

Cheers!

Alexander.