There will be those who feel it's the grandest film to ever grace the silver screen, and those who feel it's nothing but more regurgitation out of Hollywood; regardless how it is interpreted, everyone has the right to voice their opinion about the movie WITHOUT being ridiculed for it!

Like you said Jennings: "...and if you're uncomfortable with anything in life that has an opinion that varies from yours, then you're in for a very sad little life"

. . . everyone has the right to voice their opinion about the movie WITHOUT being ridiculed for it!

True, but it would be nice if those voicing their opinions had actually SEEN the movie first.

Recently watched "An Evening with Kevin Smith" in which he tells about how, just for laughs, he and a friend joined a protest of his own movie "Dogma," which had been organized by a bunch of people who'd never seen the film and didn't know what they were talking about. It's an absolutely hilarious story. (Smith ended up on TV because the idiot reporter from the local TV station near his home town didn't recognize him!)

cheers

Old Blind Dog

Edited by Old Blind Dog

You are correct, and maybe it was a poor choice of words on my part.

Determinations are made based on critics' reviews, both positive and negative; it's the prerogative of the reader to either see it if it appeals to them, or not, for whatever reasons. The reasons are ultimately THEIRS however, and certainly don't warrent interjections of annoyance (Sheesh...) from those who don't embrace those reasons.

"Live and let live, I hear some folks say. Be a mite less fuss and bother if people took it to heart."

Edited by oldHooker
This looks a lot like the Alien Dropship. One could possibly make an approximation of one from the Halcyon kit. They go for about $150 on ebay when they show up.

Edit: Well, maybe not. It is pretty different. Just the configuration is similar. Still, one could use the dropship as a shell and scratchbuild the rest. Maybe it will be kitted.

Edit again: I see others have already commented about the similarity to the dropship. I should have read the entire thread first!

Someone HAS to release that as a kit!

This looks a lot like the Alien Dropship. One could possibly make an approximation of one from the Halcyon kit. They go for about $150 on ebay when they show up.

Hmmm...maybe it's getting time to cash in on the dropship kit I bought for 35 bucks back in 1992.

SN

Hmmm...maybe it's getting time to cash in on the dropship kit I bought for 35 bucks back in 1992.

SN

I definitely would, it takes far more work than most want to put into it to make a really accurate model of the dropship, and the entire time you will be thinking "I could have got $100 bucks for this thing."

Just saw on ABC News that this movie will have to pull

in $750 million (USD) at the box office just for Cameron

to break even! :D

The numbers seem to change every day. Before the movie was released it was $500 million. Two different places yesterday I read either $350 million or $400 million. Now this one. It sounds like that by next week it will be a billion or more.

The numbers seem to change every day. Before the movie was released it was $500 million. Two different places yesterday I read either $350 million or $400 million. Now this one. It sounds like that by next week it will be a billion or more.

QUICK!! Everyone help James out! Without us he might not be able to go on!

Actually all of Hollywood needs our help. Run out, get 10 tickets today!

Went to see it with the wife and kid saturday.

The visuals were stunning, and the plot (from what I saw) was great. I'm not going to discuss the politics of it, because it is just a movie after all. If I didn't watch movies because of the politics, then there'd be maybe one movie every three years that I could watch. Hollywood is a liberal bastion afterall.

Now for the bad part. I got serious motion sickness and had to leave. I think it might have been because of the 3D. The only other time I had this happen was when I watched Cloverfield. That one actually caused vomitting. This time I left before I got to that point. I'm sorry I had to leave, because it was an enjoyable experience up to that point.

Did anyone else think the final forest battle was like a kick-@$$ remake of the Battle of Endor from Return of the Jedi ?

No disrespect to George Lucas or those fuzzy adorable Ewoks :jaw-dropping:

I was thinking the exact same thing...But you got to wonder how a Cameron version of Starwars would look like?

Ed

Saw it today!

One word: Amazing!

Also was my first 3D experience. For almost three hours I was out of my body on Pandora!

Wanted to say something about politics, but nevermind...

Don't miss it!

Cheers

Emil

Just got back from seeing this and I was pretty blown away. Im usally pretty cynical about such big movies but not this one. Guess I didnt notice too much advertising in it. Sure there was a message in it but that didnt take anything away from it. Ill definatly be seeing it again and probably buying it on blu-ray when thats out. Even the missus loved it and she's more into girly stuff. Awsome!

just saw it in 2D!

for a broad-range blockbuster film its very watchable; despite being formulaic and a little cheesy - utterly enjoyable!

the main selling point: the VFX are simply :lol: this is the FIRST film where i found myself forgetting that it is animation, and wasn't aware I'm watching people in Lycra on a green screen! has a natural feel to it that i hope continues to be weta's trademark: this film has certainly set the benchmark for quality and immersion.

it is plot lite - kinda an opposite of district 9: less plot/characters - more pure eye candy. in the pre-airing discussion i was critical of the opinion that this was Pocahontas in space, wondering if this was more a viewer interpretation

...i retract that opinion: its EXACTLY Pocahontas/dances with wolves in space, while the above can be widely true of audience opinions, this isn't one of those times :D

still enjoyable, just a cliche-groaner - worst part being u know how the films exactly going to go!! my friend (never having seen the films) found it far more unpredictable and engrossing :D i don't really want to use the word plagiarism, but words like uninspired/generic & cop-out defiantly comes to mind, simply put: James Cameron's screenplay: fail

flora and fauna were fun: a lot of NZ ferns, bushes etc rendered into the film, gave us all a chuckle in addition to the hongi scene.

don't think anyone can do space marines anymore without it looking like 'aliens', nevertheless some very cool and intriguing designs (was chuffed to see aerospike engines on the shuttle). I usually hate the idea of mechanized suits with a passion; but I was really sold on the ones portrayed in the movie B)

in the scenes with the military there were strong vietnam-esque themes running, esp with the helos - which again referenced current helo trademarks *cough* apache ( similar to Aliens) - in addition noticed they rendered onto the ac the matra rocket pods the RNZAF have!

also had a chuckle that a lot of the rifles on the film appeared to be sci-fi'd up AUGs ( no surprises there!)

one eye raising scene was

when they go to tame a 'flying horse' for the lead: the way its done: with him wrestling it into submission them, jabbing his plug into its socket so they can be "connected"

both me and my friend looked at each other surprised and mouthed "rap e" - was odd :lol:

overall id give it 4.5 stars; its about origional as a potato, but is so visually amazing it softens the blow dramatically

Edited by Raymond
just saw it in 2D!

flora and fauna were fun: a lot of NZ ferns, bushes etc rendered into the film, gave us all a chuckle in addition to the hongi scene.

I might have missed it, but whats a "hongi"?

edit. OK, Google is my friend, and Wiki told me what it is. I'll stick with "Hi"

one eye raising scene was

when they go to tame a 'flying horse' for the lead: the way its done: with him wrestling it into submission them, jabbing his plug into its socket so they can be "connected"

both me and my friend looked at each other surprised and mouthed "rap e" - was odd :lol:

Spoiler?

Ah, but you forget what they said. Not only does the Na'vi choose its Banshee, but the Banshee chooses its rider...by trying to kill him. Notice how many of the Banshee's just flew away. What he did was no different than breaking a wild horse, and in this case, the horse challenged the rider to break him.

Edited by JasonB

OK, now that I've seen AVATAR 1.5 times, guess I can comment on it. I saw it 1.5 times because at yesterdays matinee, the damn projector broke and melted the film. Bad news was they could not repair the projector and/or the film. Goods news, we all received a full refund and a free movie pass. So, the wifey and I returned for today's matinee.

The movie is an artistic, visual masterpiece. It really pulls the viewer in. Unfortunately, the storyline is the same ole, same ole story of (fill in the blank). The characters are stereotypical good guys vs bad guys. Although I thought the characters were all portrayed very well. I too did not like some of the helo related sound effects. I thought those ducted blades should have whined as opposed to that annoying UH-1 whoop-whoop. Although, it is quite possible the UH-1 will still be flying in 2154.

The native Native American references were unavoidable. Anyone else notice the dream catcher in the company exec's office?

I was hoping AVATAR would make me forget about Star Wars and T2. In someways it surpassed both and in others it just did not measure up to either. I give it an 8 out of 10.

A friend on Face book summed it up nicely, "Mind numbing story with mind blowing special effects." That about says it all. Go see it but don't go stoned!

Edited by Sig Saur & Son