Briefly skimmed thru this thread (I wasn't following it prior). It's funny to read some of the thoughts of "messages" and such. Movies have had messages since the beginning of movies. Ah well.....

.....on to what's important. THAT MOVIE WAS INSANELY AMAZING!!!!! Just got home from seeing the 3D version tonight. That was a true visual masterpiece. And (to me) the story was outstanding!! It was a 10/10 in my eyes. Saw it with a buddy, and the first thought I had when it was over....was that I'm taking the lady to that next week for sure. I'll find any excuse I can to see the 3D version in the theatres as many times as I can before it's done.

Saw the movie in 3D last night and it blew me away, I am an ardent Sci Fi/fantasy fan and I did recognise several ideas from different books that I have read. But just sitting there and enjoying it for what it is, sheer escapism, it must rank for me as the best movie I have ever seen.

Cheers

Den

Saw the movie in 3D last night and it blew me away, I am an ardent Sci Fi/fantasy fan and I did recognise several ideas from different books that I have read. But just sitting there and enjoying it for what it is, sheer escapism, it must rank for me as the best movie I have ever seen.

Cheers

Den

Kidding aside, I really do agree with you 100%. I got so 'lost' in this movie I couldn't even guess at the total running time when it was over. It might've been one hour, it night've been five hours. I was totally enthralled. I'm somewhat embarrassed to admit that on at least two occasions I reacted to a 3D event by dodging or swatting at something that seemed to be right in my face. I'm also somewhat embarrassed to admit that, apparently, I find 12ft tall blue chicks extremely HOT! :cop:

I saw it on IMAX. Altough I like the 3D, I didnt like the movie at all. Its love story is so cliche. I saw same plot on 100 other movies. Boy and girl falls in love, girl doesn't know the true identity/intention of the guy, she finds out and hates him then at the end boy does smt cool girl loves him back.

Also, the main character is a regular soldier who has a troubled mind because of his loses. In the movie he suddenly turns into the chosen one which was so absurd. Story was so weak around him.

War is a bad thing, save the environment. That is the story. I know many movies saying same thing 10 times better than Avatar. Watch the anime Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind ans see how it is done. (in 1984 by the way)

At the end IMHO Avatar is where it is right now mainly due to advertisement and media support around it.

So you're ^^^^ in the 1.3/10 (on IMDB) I gather. It's funny to me. I guess I just have to realize that "to each his own"....but it's strange in this case. I still find myself (3 days after seeing it) transfixed on simply how good it was. I honestly don't get very worked up about moives - they're simply a diversion of entertainment to me. But Avatar was so far above and beyond anything. In movies over the past couple decades, tell me about a 'main-stream' movie that isn't cliche.......or somewhat predictable. That's just the nature of the business. I've often found that if a movie doesn't follow Hollywood's formula, it's then some twisty wierd, pain in the arse, movie that has you perplexed as you leave the theatre (eg. the movie "Stay" - that was on my list for one of the most bizzare "waste of a movie ticket" movies). Oh well, once again....I guess to each his own. I just find it strange to think someone could sit thru 3 hours of amazing magic on the big screen, and come out disappointed.

I still find myself (3 days after seeing it) transfixed on simply how good it was.

...........................I guess to each his own. I just find it strange to think someone could sit thru 3 hours of amazing magic on the big screen, and come out disappointed.

Amen to that brother.

I'm going again tomorrow ;)

Taking my boys with me this time..........

:woot.gif:

Just watched it in 3D, and was floored by the effects, if not the story line.

I kept thinking that it was Dances With Wolves all over again, luckily without Kevin Costner this time around. But at the end of the day it didn't matter, as all movies today are pretty predictable, and they all (almost) have some sort of message. The only message that I got from this movie was that the future of movies is going to be awesome, cause that is what Avatar showed us....the future.

Ken

Edited by Helidriver
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Well well, now I´ve finally seen it....

Fantastic special effects and visual magic!!

But other than that I think it was a let down..... the story didn´t hold any surprises it was really very simplistic actually. Had hoped for more from Cameron :/

You knew how it all would end within minutes of the beginning of the movie. Actually it looks like he took "A Man Called Horse" and "Soldier Blue" and set it in the future and a different world. Same, same but different...

Then again Titanic didn´t hold much in the way of surprises either....boy meets girl...ship sinks...girl lost boy :jaw-dropping:

Happy that Cameron´s back with Sci-fi at least :thumbsup:

I see the movie the other day; so, apart from the technological achivement of all that computer generated imaginery, is a very simple cowboy/cavalry vs indians plot. god vs evil and as such it has some "moral teaching" in it. bottom line, this is a smoke and mirror with a eco background movie, although good to pass a nice movie nigth; don't go to deep, there is nothing there.

Byron

Edited by ByronLeal
  • 4 months later...