Pegasus Hobbies 1/18 Bell X-1

I just received one of the new Pegasus Hobbies 1/18 scale X-1 kits and two thoughts come to mind, it's big and basic. With only 48 parts for such a large model it will be a scratchbuilder's delight. It appears that the overall shape and dimensions look very good with engraved panel lines a little on the heavy side. It appears to be designed to have retractable landing gear and there are bulges on the outside to the landing gear bays to accommodate the gear door hinges. The cockpit consists of 6 parts with a decal for the instrument panel. The canopy is a bit thick but very clear, the only drawback being the mounting tabs. If you want accurate landing gear you will have to resort to building your own. The supplied parts are only representative of what was actually used. They even supply a nose weight so the model won't be a tail sitter, though I see no mention of it in the 6-step instruction sheet. The best part is that at a retail price on only $40 (cheaper in some places), you get a lot of plastic. The decals allow for only one aircraft, 6062 with the Glamorous Glennis nose art. They are well registered but the whites look a little thin and may not do well on the orange aircraft, but it's hard to be sure. Overall, I'm happy with what's supplied for the price. When built it will make for an impressive model, I sure hope they continue making more X-planes in this scale.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

Tony

I've got one of these on the way and it will be my Christmas modeling project when it arrives. As such, I'll probably do it close to OOB rather then trying to stick a lot of details in there (that plan may change when i get it though). Since the door is molded shut on it, I can see that as one place where some scratchbuilding can be done if one opts to remove the door in order to show off what is inside the cockpit. 1/18 scale does at least mean if you want to do a pilot for it, there are at least some likely candidates from 21st Century Toys or other companies to stick in there (or even a heavily modified Star Wars action figure might work as well).

The look of those hinge bulges and locator tabs on the canopy glass suggest that Pegasus will also release this as a painted prebuilt, just as they have in the past with their V-1. It is a simplistic model, but so is the prototype, and the large scale makes scratchbuilding details much easier than on smaller models.

• 4 weeks later...

I finally got a Pegasus X-1 and I remembered this thread showing the sprues of the kit. I was really amazed at the size of the kit and thought I would show some size comparison to other kits of the X-1. At the top of the pic is the Pegasus kit, under it is the 1/32 Revell offering, next is the Eduard 1/48 kit and at the bottom is the 12 Squared 1/72 scale X-1. When finished the Pegasus kit would be massive on the model show table at the next contest. It would surely turns some heads. Don M.

Jan2010029-1.jpg

Edited by viper50

I've got two of the kits now. I'm still gathering research materials for mine as the size of the kit just begs to have at least some details added to even a basic build.

I also blame this model for relaunching my interest in X-planes as I am now working on some of the old Eagles Talon/ Wings 72 lifting body kits. When done I will probably have a collection of rocket powered research planes that were air dropped. I just don't quite know what to call this collection when I am done. :thumbsup: