http://www.hlj.com/product/PLZMOE912

whoa!!!!! from Platz no less! but the sprues does not give me a very good impression somehow... anybody hv more info on this??

I've seen pictures of the Moebius test shot over at CultTVman.com and this Platz kit looks like it is one and the same (even the pilot figure in the test shot images was tan). As such, it looks like a partnership between Moebius and Platz. January release means it is coming sooner then I expected it would though as I was expecting the Moebius kit probably around March. Very interesting!

As for the price, CultTVman expects the Moebius one to price less then the Platz one (about $30 vs closer to $50 from HLJ). Of course, Platz may have different decals for theirs then Moebius, so that might make it worth while acquiring. Here's the link:

http://www.culttvmanshop.com/Battlestar-Ga...TION_p_592.html

EDIT: Okay, I did some checking and indeed Platz is the distributor for Moebius kits in Japan. So they are one in the same. Of course Platz might have better decals possibly, but I doubt it would be enough to justify the cost. Still, if you absolutely positively have to have a Viper and can't wait for the slow boat FROM China to make it to US shores, then it seems like this would be the quickest way to get one of these kits.

Edited by Jay Chladek

I'm going to end up builidng about 40 of these things. I can't wait until they come out in the US. I heard that Moebius is also doing a Galactica, a Cylon Raider, and a 1/6 Centurion, with plans for other kits. I'm hoping for a Raptor and a Mk. VII to complete my hangar deck display...

I'm just curious about the level of detail they'll be able to achieve with such a small number of parts. With all 3 engines molded as one part, I'm scared that they'll skimp on detail in that section to make molding possible, by eliminating undercuts, or molding hoses and pipes as half-cylinders.

Edited by RedHeadKevin
I'm going to end up builidng about 40 of these things. I can't wait until they come out in the US. I heard that Moebius is also doing a Galactica, a Cylon Raider, and a 1/6 Centurion, with plans for other kits. I'm hoping for a Raptor and a Mk. VII to complete my hangar deck display...

I'm just curious about the level of detail they'll be able to achieve with such a small number of parts. With all 3 engines molded as one part, I'm scared that they'll skimp on detail in that section to make molding possible, by eliminating undercuts, or molding hoses and pipes as half-cylinders.

I've owned most of the resin Mk II Viper kits and poured over the photos and all things considered, the Mk II Viper isn't exactly detail heavy. Most of what was achieved in the TV series was down to paint and weathering of both the full size set pieces and the CGI meshes.

Considering the planned price for the US issue of the kit being in the mid-$20 range, I can live with a few skimps on detail though as I think it will be good enough for the intended target audience and if somebody REALLY wants more detail, I am certain the resin aftermarket will be along to correct any perceived oversights. Some might argue that more detail is better, but that would increase the cost and lessen the number of potential customers IMHO. And if the Viper doesn't sell well, it is doubtful Moebius would continue on with doing a Galactica or any other BSG based products.

As for the scale choice, the reason why they chose 1/32 is it matched the scale of the Monogram/Revell original series Viper. Perhaps in the future they might do a different scaled one, but a lot of things have to happen first.

Edited by Jay Chladek
Finally I'll be able to do one of these. I remember that Viper on here with Starbuck saving Apollo's butt by pushing him. That always looked great to me and I thought I might like to do that too.

Floyd

Floyd,

Do you mean this one???

Model by Tony Augustin

Grab Your Gun and bring in the Cat. Starship Modeller site

I think I've seen this model in person....... NICE!!!

There are 2 1/72nd resin, both cost an arm, and the 48th scale resin costs an arm AND a leg!

Injection molding is much easier to work with IMO and far cheaper.

I just wish they'd done it in 48th or 72nd, because for a 32nd scale model it's got little-to-no details or parts.

Why was this made in 32nd to begin with?

There are 2 1/72nd resin, both cost an arm, and the 48th scale resin costs an arm AND a leg!

Injection molding is much easier to work with IMO and far cheaper.

I just wish they'd done it in 48th or 72nd, because for a 32nd scale model it's got little-to-no details or parts.

Why was this made in 32nd to begin with?

Read Jay's post above.

• 2 weeks later...

Not for nothing but the brand new release of the 30th Aniversary Viper Mark II by Revel 1/32 is damned nice. It comes set up so you can install a lighting kit into it (which I did and it looks awesome). The cockpit is also nicely detailed and is also set up to install a cockpit LED. The pilot is nicely detailed and their is a working ball-socket joint so that you can move the head into any position. Ive seen most of the Mark II Resin kits built and other then a select few, sorry to say folks, Revel did a great job with this re-release surpassing the resin models.

Not for nothing but the brand new release of the 30th Aniversary Viper Mark II by Revel 1/32 is damned nice.

I've seen this often, but where is it established that the TOS Vipers are "Mark IIs"?

Not for nothing but the brand new release of the 30th Aniversary Viper Mark II by Revel 1/32 is damned nice. It comes set up so you can install a lighting kit into it (which I did and it looks awesome). The cockpit is also nicely detailed and is also set up to install a cockpit LED. The pilot is nicely detailed and their is a working ball-socket joint so that you can move the head into any position. Ive seen most of the Mark II Resin kits built and other then a select few, sorry to say folks, Revel did a great job with this re-release surpassing the resin models.

Revell only did the old Viper, then redid a few parts on the old kit. It was about 1/32. Moebius is doing the MKII Viper from the BSG remake-it's an entirely new kit and Viper.

Officially, TOS Vipers never had a designation in the old series. They were just called Vipers. When TNS came out, the un-officially became Mk 1 Vipers as you see one in Galactica's museum in the starboard flight pod. Mark II Vipers from TNS were called that since the Miniseries when Adama saw the one that the deck hands restored in his original colors. In the old series, there was one episode that had what was called a "6th Millennium Fighter Craft" (I think it was "The Long Patrol")but it was never called a Viper while it had a Viper style nose and shared a similar layout (but with two engines instead of 3). Somebody unofficially called the older ship an Asp on a website.

I knew there were a number of unofficial designations and names floating about. I'm just curious how the "Mark II" designation came to be used for the TOS Vipers. Perhaps the fact that the new series Mark IIs are the equivalent of the old series Vipers? Then again, that's mucked up by the fact that there are two distinct types in TNS: IIs and VIIs. I don't recall anything other than the one common Viper design in TOS, aside from the aforementioned one-offs.

I knew there were a number of unofficial designations and names floating about. I'm just curious how the "Mark II" designation came to be used for the TOS Vipers. Perhaps the fact that the new series Mark IIs are the equivalent of the old series Vipers? Then again, that's mucked up by the fact that there are two distinct types in TNS: IIs and VIIs. I don't recall anything other than the one common Viper design in TOS, aside from the aforementioned one-offs.

In TOS the Vipers are Vipers, or Viper MK I.

In NuBSG the Vipers are MK II. The MK II replaced the TOS MK I years previous and in NuBSG, the MKII is old and retiring being replaced by MK VII.

Thus Making the MK I the equivelent of a P-51, the MK II a F-14A, and the MK VII a F-23.

In TOS the Vipers are Vipers, or Viper MK I.

In NuBSG the Vipers are MK II. The MK II replaced the TOS MK I years previous and in NuBSG, the MKII is old and retiring being replaced by MK VII.

Thus Making the MK I the equivelent of a P-51, the MK II a F-14A, and the MK VII a F-23.

Just so we're clear, there's only the one Viper type in the original series, whereas in the new (Ron D. Moore) series, there was the Mark II, followed by the Mark VII. The "Mark I" seen in the background in one shot of the miniseries was really only an easter egg.

Your aircraft line doesn't really make sense, though. The P-51 was an Army/Air Force aircraft, and the F-23 never saw production (unless you meant F-22). You'd need to pick naval aircraft if you wanted analogues to BSG craft, and, through the course of that, ignore the obvious Viper/F-16 analogy.

Hellcat to Phantom to Tomcat! How about that? I thought the new BSG was about the best Science fiction TV ever and I'm a huge Star Trek fan. I had always assumed that the Mk II viper was the one from the first Cylon war. It makes sense because they were in the Cylon war museum. Isn't that like having a Phantom sitting in a Korean war museum. I'm not going to re-watch the pilot, but I think the Mk II Viper was mentioned as a "relic" from the first Cylon war.

Curt

I had always assumed that the Mk II viper was the one from the first Cylon war. It makes sense because they were in the Cylon war museum. Isn't that like having a Phantom sitting in a Korean war museum.

No, that's more like having a Sabre in a Korean War museum, considering the Mk. II was a veteran of the first Cylon War. The confusion I've seen is over the fact that the original series Viper is occasionally referred to as the "Mark II", when that designation applies only to the Viper as it appears in the new series.

Edited by MiG31

I guess the real confusion is because this is a reboot. The "first Cylon war" isn't the same in the new series. All the history is different. I'm watching the pilot right now and Lee Adoma states that the Mk II he's flying is 40 years old, and Commander Adoma says he "hasn't seen one in 20 years". The BSG is 50 years old in the series and served in the war with Mk II vipers. That puts the Mk II Viper in the 45 to 50 year old range. But like I said earlier it really doesn't matter because it's a reboot.

Curt

AH, but...

The P-51 because it was great bird that was the top of it's game in it's time, and in it's time after it's time, so MK I TOS Viper kicking old school Cylon butt.

The F-14A because it has (had) no equal and in NuBSG the MK II kicks major butt.

The (Y)F-23 because it was to be the far better than everything but it got junked, and in NuBSG the Cylons just turn them off. So the 'superior' MK VII had to rely on the 'inferior' MK II to save the day.

Now sticking to Naval terms, I suppose a F-4=MK I, a F-14A=MK II, and F-18 Super Bug the MK VII.

But since the Galactica is a space fairing carrier, it'd be the Spacy not Navy. And if the G is a carrier that can fold space, that makes it a Super Dimensional Fortress... :cheers:

Seriously though, I haven't heard the old TOS Vipers refered to anything but being called the MK I. The Vipers in NUBSG in the Museum are MK II.

MK I (Redone old 1/32 Revell kit)

http://www.swannysmodels.com/Viper.html

MK II (New Mobius 1/32 kit)- (And the topic of this thread)

http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product...amp;mode=retail

http://www.cosmic-pearl.com/3dLW61.htm

MK VII (Only rare expensive resin)

http://www.modelermagic.com/?p=427