I see the point regarding the F-14, but the YF-23 never saw production, whereas the F-22 did. I'd say that's the more likely analogue. As for the "navy" term, there's little reason it shouldn't apply since we're talking ships, albeit space-faring as opposed to sea-faring.

As for the 1:32 kits, I'm hopeful that Moebius will issue a Mk. VII if the II is a success. That way, one could have a Viper triumvirate in that scale.

• 4 weeks later...
Floyd,

Do you mean this one???

Model by Tony Augustin

Grab Your Gun and bring in the Cat. Starship Modeller site

I think I've seen this model in person....... NICE!!!

That is exactly what I was thinking of.

The reason they did the 1/32nd scale kit is because the original release (and subsequent re-release) was in 1/32nd scale. To keep everything the same scale. I like the idea of a 1/32nd scale kit. You can put more detail in and on it.

Floyd

Edited by Floyd S. Werner, Jr.

I'm working on one of the original series re-release kits now. just judging by the size of the pilot it appears closer to 1/35 scale. either that or the colonials are some smaller people.

at any rate, i'm making mine a Viper Mk I+ (upgrade). I figure in my fantasy world, they reached earth and while their technology was superior in most ways, they were lacking in equipment so probably used some existing earth hardware to upgrade their fighters. I'll try to get a thread going on the build soon.

I'm looking forward to the moebius kit. it should look really good next to my MK-1+. and yes, bring on the MK VII!

Bill

I'm going to end up builidng about 40 of these things. I can't wait until they come out in the US. I heard that Moebius is also doing a Galactica, a Cylon Raider, and a 1/6 Centurion, with plans for other kits. I'm hoping for a Raptor and a Mk. VII to complete my hangar deck display...

I'm just curious about the level of detail they'll be able to achieve with such a small number of parts. With all 3 engines molded as one part, I'm scared that they'll skimp on detail in that section to make molding possible, by eliminating undercuts, or molding hoses and pipes as half-cylinders.

Whoaaa, they got more than just the Mk II to release??? That is awesome good news!

Looking at their Ironman kit, the details seems a little soft. I don't have the kit but I read it somewhere and saw some close up pics. I hope they will be as good, if not better than the Monogram kits... I can wish but I hope they are good. I am sick of kits that required too much work to right it.

Anyway, looking forward to the kits!

B

• 1 month later...

Latest word from Moebius is that the shipment of Viper kits arrived in the US, then it was "flagged" by customs, so they have to search the whole shipping container for.. .whatever. Personally, I think the Customs guy is a modeler, and just wanted his hands on one of these kits first.

Latest word from Moebius is that the shipment of Viper kits arrived in the US, then it was "flagged" by customs, so they have to search the whole shipping container for.. .whatever. Personally, I think the Customs guy is a modeler, and just wanted his hands on one of these kits first.

LOL i can believe that!!!

BTW anyone know if they are heading down to Australian hobby shops? or do i have to scrounge one online??

Hey, does anyone know if Hobby Lobby has any plans to carry this kit? As much as I'd like to order from Starship or other such outlet, sometimes the covert operation of aquiring such a model is easier when you take the whole "delivery at the door" scenario out of the equation, if you know what I mean. :worship:

Bill

Hey, does anyone know if Hobby Lobby has any plans to carry this kit? As much as I'd like to order from Starship or other such outlet, sometimes the covert operation of aquiring such a model is easier when you take the whole "delivery at the door" scenario out of the equation, if you know what I mean. :jaw-dropping:

Bill

Doubtful as I've never seen Hobby Lobbies carry Mobius kits before.

I could be mistaken, but I thought I saw they at one time carried the Mobeus Batmobile. Maybe I'm just thinking of all the Polarlights kits I've seen there.

oh well, I guess I just have to suck it up and take stand. "Honey I'm buying a model and that's all there is to it!.....that is if it's ok with you...dear. Did I ever tell you how beautiful you are in this lighting?"

I'm the opposite: the modern Vipers look much more balanced and elegant, whereas the TOS version is pretty chunky. A lot of that has to do with the fins, in my view. I'll probably buy the re-pop of the old kit, along with aftermarket landing gear, to park it alongside the Moebius Vipers.