Weathering on CAG jets

I just opened the box for my Academy Hornet and found it ready to decal :jaw-dropping: I thought it still needed paint touched up. So I'm going to try and get it done before the end of the year. I want to do the VFA-146 CAG jet so my question. Do CAG jets get as dirty as the rest of the squadron or are they kept cleaner?

I just opened the box for my Academy Hornet and found it ready to decal :jaw-dropping: I thought it still needed paint touched up. So I'm going to try and get it done before the end of the year. I want to do the VFA-146 CAG jet so my question. Do CAG jets get as dirty as the rest of the squadron or are they kept cleaner?

Check online for some reference pictures, but from the pics I have seen and from previous comments from those on this board who have "been there done that", the CAG birds are treated no differently than any other bird. The only difference is the paint scheme (usually) there are some exceptions of course, and it might be cleaner depending on how recently it was painted.

BTW, Why was it ready to decal? I am assuming you got the kit in a raffle or from a trade?

Edited by graves_09

Thank you Graves. I looked on line but really couldn't find a pic of one in service that was well used. So with what you said I think I'll go with a well used but not rode hard look. To answer your question it was ready to decal because that is the way I put it back in the box. I forgot I touched up the paint before I put it away it's been alooooong time since I've had this one out.

ok dumb ? time, what does CAG stand for? I see it all the time, but don't know that acronym.

"CAG" stands for "Commander Air Group", the leader (usually a Navy Captain or a USMC Colonel) of the Air Wing on a US carrier.

It's actually a legacy term from the times when the flying units were grouped in an Air Group as opposed to the curent Air Wing.)

HTH,

Andre

"CAG" stands for "Commander Air Group", the leader (usually a Navy Captain or a USMC Colonel) of the Air Wing on a US carrier.

It's actually a legacy term from the times when the flying units were grouped in an Air Group as opposed to the curent Air Wing.)

HTH,

Andre

Ah-hah. And these particular a/c are usually adorned with special paint jobs? I'm doing VF-102 50th Anniv. F-18F and I believe that is a CAG bird and obviously has a special paint job on it.

Ah-hah. And these particular a/c are usually adorned with special paint jobs? I'm doing VF-102 50th Anniv. F-18F and I believe that is a CAG bird and obviously has a special paint job on it.

Usually, yes - although it was frowned upon for a while in the 80s/90s where you could see some decidedly drab CAG jets.

Traditionally every unit assigned one of their aircraft to the CAG, although he is of course not longer expected to be able to fly all of them these days. Most units assign the aircraft with the "00" modex (the number on the nose / flaps / fins) as their CAG jet, with some exceptions like "102" and "103" for VF-102 and VF-103 respectively.

Every unit is traditionally represented by a different color, which is why there is often a rainbow motive associated with the CAG jet. For instance, the Supersonic Can Opener on VF-51's Phantoms had raimbow colored tailfeathers on their CAG bird.

HTH,

Andre

I was fortunate to make two deployments with the USS NIMITZ Strike Group recently - CAG Birds are subject to the same corrosion preventive controls as all of the other Airwing aircraft - lots of touch up paint here and there. Underway on a deployment the CAG birds are subject to sea and salt all the time. The TPS (tactical paint scheme) tends to get dirty easily and is difficult to keep clean (note that E-2C Hawkeyes are still painted the old gloss sea gray paint topside/white underneath, and they tend to stay cleaner). Lots of mechanics and other folks walking on the wings/fusilage, etc. The colorful portion of the CAG Birds tends to stay clean though - it helps that the paint is often high gloss. Some CAG artwork isn't even painted - it's somewhat akin to a 1:1 scale decal!

"CAG" stands for "Commander Air Group", the leader..........

ok - knew that...but

I'lll bite here, and ask what a DCAG is ? - Deputy CAG ?

-often found on the other tail to the CAG ?

Edited by ixgr1
Yes, DCAG is Deputy CAG, i.e. XO of the airwing.

Ta - had to be somthing like that....

btw...nice picies Gregg, please keep them coming

meenwhile - back to the thread. do CAG/Boss jets get ANY special treatment ie- 'showtime' birds ? (apart from thier pr'dy paint'n)

Do CAG jets get as dirty as the rest of the squadron or are they kept cleaner?

By the end of a line period or deployment, your CAG bird looked just like the rest...dirty. Our side 700 looked good for the Atsugi airshow...grimy the rest of the time.

r/

ATIS

I've seen DCAG's name on CAG jets. For single seater his name would be on the right side of the cockpit, CAG's on the left. For two seaters, CAG on the front, DCAG on the back. Must have been an East Coast thing, we always had CAG and DCAG's name on the CAG jet.

Reddog :(

I've seen DCAG's name on CAG jets. For single seater his name would be on the right side of the cockpit, CAG's on the left. For two seaters, CAG on the front, DCAG on the back. Must have been an East Coast thing, we always had CAG and DCAG's name on the CAG jet.

Reddog :lol:

And then there's the four seaters :coolio:

In all seriousness, since we've been home a bit, our jets all look pretty decent. Though truth be told, 502 is the most recently painted (if I did a model of it, the rivet counters would tell me I was smoking crack) and actually looks slightly better than 500 (aside from the fact that my name is on 500's right aft canopy rail... which makes it the best looking jet in the history of powered flight). However, in about four weeks, they'll all be looking a little rough :cheers:

And then there's the four seaters ;)

In all seriousness, since we've been home a bit, our jets all look pretty decent. Though truth be told, 502 is the most recently painted (if I did a model of it, the rivet counters would tell me I was smoking crack) and actually looks slightly better than 500 (aside from the fact that my name is on 500's right aft canopy rail... which makes it the best looking jet in the history of powered flight). However, in about four weeks, they'll all be looking a little rough ;)

:rofl::worship:

Karl, I dig your wit and wisdom ! :thumbsup:

Gregg

Usually, yes - although it was frowned upon for a while in the 80s/90s where you could see some decidedly drab CAG jets.

When I was in VS-24 in the 80's the march to low viz was on. 700 was painted no differently than any of our other aircraft, and IIRC, no squadron in the wing had special paint on their 00 bird. There was only the gradual transition from high to low viz.

I also think the rainbow thing went out of favor when rainbows began to become associated with the homosexuality. Who would want to fly a gay jet? What if your rainbow decorated jet were the duty tanker getting "plugged." Too many jokes there.

When I was in VS-24 in the 80's the march to low viz was on. 700 was painted no differently than any of our other aircraft, and IIRC, no squadron in the wing had special paint on their 00 bird. There was only the gradual transition from high to low viz.

I also think the rainbow thing went out of favor when rainbows began to become associated with the homosexuality. Who would want to fly a gay jet? What if your rainbow decorated jet were the duty tanker getting "plugged." Too many jokes there.

Doesn't stop Jeff Gordon......oh wait, there's probably a good reason for that.

Doesn't stop Jeff Gordon......oh wait, there's probably a good reason for that.

if you'll note. about the time the rainbow started being more and more associated with homosexuality, Dupont changed their paint scheme away from the rainbow and went with the colored flames. he also stopped being refered to as the rainbow warrior.

Bill

ah thanks boy's i had the same question but i have the RofG Rhino in 1/72 and i think to make it as the VFA-137 CAG bird

but i have one more question did the Gunslingers had the MUTHA award or Daco Made mistake with the Mutha on there 404 bird

I *think* VFA-105 had "MUTHA" painted on all their jets for that period ...

Gregg