1/48th F-8E(FN) Crusader

Hi,

Time to step into the fray and start on my first of two for this group build.

This one is the Hasegawa F-8E(FN) Crusader to which I will be adding a few extras: -

Aires Cockpit, Wheel Bays and Exhausts

Quickboost Air Scoops

Hobbydecal Pitot Tube

Colorado Decals F-8E(FN) 1964-1988

I'm going to be doing a scheme from 1987 and based on a plane seen at the International Air Tattoo.

First the pictures to show that it's not one I prepared earlier.

IMG_2578.jpg

IMG_2579.jpg

IMG_2580.jpg

IMG_2581.jpg

Hopefully the links will work, I guess we're all about to know.

Pete

Edited by Pete W

AWESOME!!

Alright, I'm curious, so bear with me. I see you'll be using:

1 - Set AM scoops

1 - AM pitiot tube

1 - Aires AM Wheel Bay set

1 - Aires AM cockpit set

1 - Aires enginy looking AM set

1 - Colorado decal set, from Portugal

1 - Hasegawa "French F8-E(FN)"

The purchase of those seven items, together, make me believe that the recession is, indeed, over.

Now this is a hobby and that means different things to different people. I'm not knocking the cost, mind you - hell, I used to fly RC planes and thought nothing if crashing hundreds of dollars of model plane to splinters.

But I'm wondering... would you object to sharing the all-in cost on this model, and just where you got all those beautiful little bits and bobs? :lol:

Love the paint scheme. I have one of these in the cupboard somewhere, but, not with with the ducky on top. I knmow that aftermarket stuff generally looks heaps better, however, I am interested in how the Has' 1/48 F-8 builds out of the box. Is the AM stuff an absolute requirement?

Neo,

Not sure yet whether i'm going to be doing the colourful scheme or a standard 'blue' version. I tend to like to models planes that i've taken photographs of and this colourful one isn't in my collection.

dahut,

Not sure if the recession ever came into it where my modelling is concerned. For reference all of the bits came from hannants apart from the pitot tube which was purchased direct from hobbydecal, costs as follows: -

F-8E kit - £24.00

Pitot tube - £1.60 approx

Cockpit - £8.99

Exhaust nozzles - £8.99

Wheel Bays - £8.99

Scoops - £3.50

Decals - £9.99

(Above 5 were collected from airshow with Hannants 10% discount)

So grand total of £62.01, hmm better make sure that I do a good job on it :thumbsup:

nubaba,

Is it worth it? I guess it depends on what you look to get from a kit. I often purchase the Aires cockpit because, apart from sometimes being a pain to fit, they really do enhance an area where kit manufacturers don't always pay much attention to. I also treat it like a kit within a kit and get enjoyment from building them. The undercarriage bay is something I rarely bother with, who looks at the bottom of a model once it's in the display case?, but in this instance I though that i'd give it a go. The kit itself is ok but just lacks a bit of spark in order to make it special. So I guess in summary it's not an absolute requirement just adds a bit extra to a build.

Pete

dahut,

Not sure if the recession ever came into it where my modelling is concerned. For reference all of the bits came from hannants apart from the pitot tube which was purchased direct from hobbydecal, costs as follows: -

F-8E kit - £24.00

Pitot tube - £1.60 approx

Cockpit - £8.99

Exhaust nozzles - £8.99

Wheel Bays - £8.99

Scoops - £3.50

Decals - £9.99

(Above 5 were collected from airshow with Hannants 10% discount)

So grand total of £62.01, hmm better make sure that I do a good job on it :lol:

nubaba,

Is it worth it? I guess it depends on what you look to get from a kit. I often purchase the Aires cockpit because, apart from sometimes being a pain to fit, they really do enhance an area where kit manufacturers don't always pay much attention to. I also treat it like a kit within a kit and get enjoyment from building them. The undercarriage bay is something I rarely bother with, who looks at the bottom of a model once it's in the display case?, but in this instance I though that i'd give it a go. The kit itself is ok but just lacks a bit of spark in order to make it special. So I guess in summary it's not an absolute requirement just adds a bit extra to a build.

Pete

Thanks heaps on your insight and forthcoming, Pete. In terms we Yanks can understand, that is $98.88USD tied up in the kit. When you consider it may take months to complete, that isn't bad value.

I would agree that the AM resin really does add to a kits outcome, especially in the highly visible cockpit area. Now, some kits you'll just close up the canopy and be done. But others are nice enough - and big enough - to make the effort.

For underside areas, unless you pose it on a mirror or hand it around the room for inspection, little can be seen. The F-8 is an exception, though, as much of the undercarriage can be seen when all the bits are hanging out. Ditto the pivoted wing, if you deploy that on your model.

All in all, very interesting. I wonder what the equivalent of Hannants is, here in the US?

Thanks heaps on your insight and forthcoming, Pete. In terms we Yanks can understand, that is $98.88USD tied up in the kit. When you consider it may take months to complete, that isn't bad value.

I would agree that the AM resin really does add to a kits outcome, especially in the highly visible cockpit area. Now, some kits you'll just close up the canopy and be done. But others are nice enough - and big enough - to make the effort.

For underside areas, unless you pose it on a mirror or hand it around the room for inspection, little can be seen. The F-8 is an exception, though, as much of the undercarriage can be seen when all the bits are hanging out. Ditto the pivoted wing, if you deploy that on your model.

All in all, very interesting. I wonder what the equivalent of Hannants is, here in the US?

I think that Spruebrothers are a good choice in the USA, have used them myself for some bits. The trouble is, Aires parts do tend to be expensive for you guys and probably bump the cost of this sort of build quiet a bit.

Pete

I wonder what the equivalent of Hannants is, here in the US?

You could always order from Hannants. www.hannants.co.uk They do ship to the US. I'm lucky enough that I live only 40 miles from the Hannants warehouse and they allow visitors in. It's a great day out (but can be expensive!!!)

Peter - good luck with your build. This has the potential to be excellent. As a newbie on ARC, we can't check on your track record so we'll be watching. No pressure!

Cheers

Ian

I can see there has been a lot of preparation going into this, including much amassing of AM parts. It is going together nicely - looking forward to more pics of the paint in progress.

ALF

You could always order from Hannants. www.hannants.co.uk They do ship to the US. I'm lucky enough that I live only 40 miles from the Hannants warehouse and they allow visitors in. It's a great day out (but can be expensive!!!)

Peter - good luck with your build. This has the potential to be excellent. As a newbie on ARC, we can't check on your track record so we'll be watching. No pressure!

Cheers

Ian

Order from Hannants? ... well the exchange rate has shifted favorable again! :thumbsup:

With such weightless tidbits as these, even post by Royal Farce to the US cannot be too dear.

Cheers

Ian

Ian,

I live a little bit further away (70 ish miles) but still close enough for the odd spending spree in the 'Alladin's Cave' of modelling.

A 'newbie' :salute: there's always pressure and mostly caused by my own good self, but do already have a few builds on the main site for all to see, for good or bad.

Pete

• 1 month later...

Right, time to show that I have actually been doing some modelling since I started this post.

I have got the cockpit basically complete in these photos just need to add a few things like the face curtain handles, which are now done as of typing this.

IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

IMG_0006.jpg

IMG_0006.jpg

IMG_0008.jpg

IMG_0009.jpg

IMG_0010.jpg

IMG_0011.jpg

Have also got the two fuselage halves glued together, just not took any pictures yet. That truly was a job that required 3 hands. With all the resin extras it took quite a bit of fettling to get them all in at the front end. Will get some latest shots up soon.

Pete

A little update.

The fuselage halves are joined and the wings glued on. As this was going to be wings down, I didn't bother with the hasegawa gimicky method of fixing, just sanded to a good fit and glued in place.

Also removed ecm bulge on rear tail fin as 1992 French Crusaders didn't have anything fitted there.

IMG_0050.jpg

Also modified the canopy location cut-outs so that the canopy can be fitted in the raised position.

IMG_0052.jpg

IMG_0051.jpg

Still a little bit of cleaning up to do on them but canopy fits as wanted so happy with result.

Off to do a bit more now.

Pete

• 4 weeks later...

Little bit more done. I have managed to get some paint on using Xtracolours Bleu de Mirage, looks a lot bluer in the picture than real life but am happy with the outcome. Added a few drops of white to the mix and filled the panels in. Have since futured it and it looks like the lightened panels have disappeared, hopefully the final matt coat will bring them back.

IMG_0059.jpg

IMG_0061.jpg

IMG_0062.jpg

Then remasked the exhaust for some Alclad - Airframe Aluminium, Steel and Jet Exhaust.

IMG_0065.jpg

IMG_0066.jpg

It's now had 3 coats of future and left to harden off a bit before trying some decals. Always like the decalling stage when some colour starts to be added and it all starts to come together.

Out of curiosity how many coats of future should it need? It's the first time I've ever used it on a model even though I've had it for a while, never been brave enough to try it.

Pete

Very nice progress, Pete. Thanks for the pics and update and looking forward to more of your work. I'm sorry, but I don't know how much Future to use, but I'd imagine that as long as there is a consistent sheen and minimal 'pebbleness', then you should be good to decal.

Cheers,

Andrew.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got time to do some work on this kit, been picking away but not with anything to show. The decals were a real pain to get on, won't be using this brand again. There on now though and overall not too bad. Top coat of future has been added and some washes added to undercarriage bits and bays. Next up was the obligatory Pro-modellers wash, love this step it really starts bringing things together.

IMG_0073.jpg

IMG_0074.jpg

IMG_0075.jpg

IMG_0076.jpg

Next step was adding all the remaining bits including a lovely little pitot tube, will definately be buying a few more of these.

IMG_0078.jpg

IMG_0085.jpg

IMG_0086.jpg

And finally a few of the finished article, will add some to more to the gallery soon. I want to take some in natural light first though, I really couldn't get the blue to show correctly when taken under artificial lighting.

IMG_0087.jpg

IMG_0093.jpg

IMG_0095.jpg

All in all this kit was a dream to build, no real vices or major problems and my first group build complete. A few errors on my part but where would I be if I didn't achieve a few on one of my builds. Now on to number two build the A-7E which has been taking a back seat for a while.

Sorry about the image heavy post.

Hope you enjoy and comments or criticism welcome.

Pete

Edited by Pete W

Looking good nice details really love the cockpit

im a little chocked that you didn't use the kit decals i really love the little duck!!

Are the up for grabs?? :thumbsup:

Cheers

Neo