Hobby Boss 1/72 Dassault Rafale C

I see 7-HH's tail (squadron?) logo as shown on the box cover does not match the artwork in marking instruction? Maybe boxart logos are included but I cannot find. I want to build 7-HH (330-EG-is it possible?) as an aircraft in Afghanistan war after see photos below but I am not sure tail logos for 7-HH supplied in the kit are appropriate or not and I have no idea where to find bomb racks for LGBs... :D

premieremissiondesrafalah8.jpg

conditionnementdesobusdpr2.jpg

image5ef9.jpg

Edited by Teeradej
Lookin' for a fight, are you? :D On Christmas Eve? :D

;) No further progress yet. I hope to get some modelling done over Christmas, but I'm not sure yet whether that will include the F-1.

LOL :rofl:

Just as long as you build something!

Enjoy your X-mas Moritz!

I see 7-HH's tail (squadron?) logo as shown on the box cover does not match the artwork in marking instruction? Maybe boxart logos are included but I cannot find. I want to build 7-HH (330-EG-is it possible?) as an aircraft in Afghanistan war after see photos below but I am not sure tail logos for 7-HH supplied in the kit are appropriate or not and I have no idea where to find bomb racks for LGBs... :D

The insignia on the box art is the one of the "Provence" 01.007 fighter squadron (escadron de chasse in french), from Saint Dizier air base (n°113 air force base). The insignia of the photo shows the insignia of the Spa 77 flight, "Jerusalem's cross",(escadrille), one of the three flights of the Provence. The others are the Spa 15, "Bayard knight helmet" and the Spa 91, "Eagle and skull" (my former flight in the good ole Jaguars days...).

It seems that the 7-HH of the pictures wears the flight insigna on the left side and the squadron insigna on the other side.

To built a totally accurate today Rafale, you have to notice that the way the aircrafts are immatriculated in the french air force had changed last year. Instead of the number of the former wings (disbanded circa 1996), the aircrafts wear now the number of the base (113 instead of 7 for the St Dizier Rafales, 118 instead of 330 for the Mont-de-Marsan test squadron Rafale)

:D

Edited by squezzer

Moritz, thanks for the review and I too share the joy for the release of the 1/72 rafale that is pleasurable enough to be built.

I got the same kit days ago and weird enough, I had the same problem with the wing tip missile launch rail, it is bent and almost break.

I couldn't help but did a fast dry fit on certain parts and I found that:

1) Although the cockpit tub is fairly well detailed, the fitting into the fuselage is a bit of disappointment, I've to trim off the 2 small locating pin on the underside of the fuselage and lightly sand the tub side for it to fit in without it "popping-out" again.

2) Same goes for the dorsal-spine (part E-3), somehow the fitting is much poorer than quality of detail HB offers..

3) The tail also fits poorly into the fuselage

4) It seems that the canard can only move few degrees, definitely much lesser than most reference pictures I've seen, somehow I couldn't tell if the canard's shape is off or the intake bulge is blocking the canard tip.. arggh :)

Seems like HB has made a Rafale with nice surface details, but fitting-wise is still below average.. which means building a good looking rafale in 1/72 still require some efforts though..

But I really can't complain, coz it's really like you said... better off than the earlier Italeri and Heller kit.. in all sense..

Edited by klay
  • 4 weeks later...

I got the same kit days ago and weird enough, I had the same problem with the wing tip missile launch rail, it is bent and almost break.

My two kits landed today and one has the front of the rail off, the second one is bent . Seems like a common flaw .

Stef

• 4 weeks later...

I'm working on one too. My missile rail was also broken. Does anyone else wonder why the injection marks on the cockpit tub are on the visible side instead of underneath, where they would be hidden, especially the one right behind where the seat goes. Hard to get in there and sand it off!

• 6 months later...

Hello!

Does anybody already has M version? While my C kit was in route, M version appeared on LuckyModel site, so I'm thinking about buying second kit in navy version, BUT if sprues in both kits are same, I would rather build my kit as navy bird, so I'm interesting what the difference between those kits. On first sight only decals is different...

Maksim

PS Rafale is such small plane, even smaller then MiG-29, not speaking about huge Su-27 :-)

Hi all,

got the Rafale M. Here are two pictueres of the M specific sprue and the the decal sheet. Sorry for the poor qualitiy, had to to use cell phone camera and an even crapier internet connection (EDGE).

Sprue

RafaleM_2.jpg

RafaleM_1.jpg

and the decals:

RafaleM_dec.jpg

(edit: added link)

Edited by 2.0_Alpha