What happen to Tamiya's golden years?

I was just thinking the other day that Tamiya has not released very many 1/48 prop kits in the last 8 or so years. I look back from 1995 to 2003 and in this 8 year span they released so many kits like P-51B/D, Mosquito's, Beaufighters, Corsairs, ME109, Me262, FW190, P-47's just to name a few. I think there is a kit total of over 30 prop kits in 8 years and now since 2003 not too many at all. Would be so nice to see them do a Typhoon, ME109G series, a nice new proper FW190D-9 and I am sure the wish list goes on. Now I assume in the next 2 years we will see a few shrunk down 1/48 variants of the Spitfire's as per their spectatular 1/32 Spit. Maybe 1/32 is starting to take over, they say it is the biggest growing/selling scale but I think that is great but a bit of a shame for the classic 1/48 guys that have been supporting this hobby and these companies for decades now and many of us have way too much invested in 1/48 to make the switch to 1/32.

Any how, I just wanted to share my thoughts on the subject and open it up for discussion.

I believe that Tamiya's Aircraft designer has been ill for a while in the past, before returning and working on the Spitfire project for the last 2 years... I would think we will see some more releases soon from Tamiya's aircraft section... There will be some scaled down versions of the spitfire from the new 32nd tooling for sure. I doubt they will release a newly tooled Fw190D-9 and there is nothing really wrong with the one they have... Plus Eduard is releasing theirs very shortly too. A Tamiya Typhoon/Tempest or a P-38 series would be very cool in my books!

Boy, do I wish I had a nickel for every Tamiya B-17 rumor that's been floated since, oh, about 1993. I'd be retired.

J

The real question is what would we all do if tamiya puts out a 48th scale B-17? When they do I say start the rumor mill up with a Tamiya 1/48 B-29

Personally I'd love to see some more of thier 1/48 kits scaled down to 1/72...particularly the P-51B/C and the G4M1 Betty. Hasegawa has gorgeous new-tool kits of the late model Bettys in 1/72, but their early one is an ancient relic of the late '60s.

SN

WOWWW!!! A Tamiya quality P-38 in 48th would be awesome :pray:

I don't know if its me but I feel that the market is lacking as far as the P-38 in that scale. There is an old Hasegawa with raised panels, same for revell. Academy has a couple kits. Tamiya needs to step in and show 'em how its done.

WOWWW!!! A Tamiya quality P-38 in 48th would be awesome :huh:

I don't know if its me but I feel that the market is lacking as far as the P-38 in that scale. There is an old Hasegawa with raised panels, same for revell. Academy has a couple kits. Tamiya needs to step in and show 'em how its done.

Actually, Hasegawa have had several P-38 variants out all with fine engraved panel lines and nice detail. I've heard the fit is a little tricky. I have their 1/48 P-38J Lightning kit (JT1) and it is quite nice.

Later,

M.

It is also strange that it has been a while since Tamiya releeased its last 1/72 a/c kit. There is still a plenty of good stuff waiting to be scaled down that would be more than welcomed in 1/72nd scale.

Just to name them:

Gloster Meteor

Fairey Swordfish

P-47M Thunderbolt

Fi 156 Storch

Regarding this scale, other Japanese manufacturers also act strange: Fujimi completely ignores airplanes in last decade, Fine Molds didn't come up with next Zero version this year and for some unknown reason didn't reissue their old Ki-61-II bubbletop version at all or proceed with Kayaba Ka-2 for instance. Hasegawa unexpectedly stopped their single engined aircraft range although there was still much left to be desired like PZL P-11, Bloch MB.152 or futher versions of existing kits, like British and Dutch Buffalos, more Fw 190 versions etc. Their latest big aircraft new issues are still full of potential (why don't we see more B-26 versions, then there is so much left to be covered by Ju 88, will we ever see Hasegawa do Do 17Z, CANT Z.1007, Halifax, Stirling and other important machines in this scale tool?).

Keep in mind the model division at Tamiya has been concentrating on the 1/48th armor line the past few years. A new Fw.190D won't happen, they retooled the wing and most the things the experten consider wrong with the kit the average builder doesn't know or care about.

I hope Tamiya makes a P-47N series before takling the Spitfires. Griffon Spits! Griffon Spits! And then a 48 Whirlwind!

I totally agreee with you, they have built the earlier Razorbacks ones and the P-47D, plus the "multifunction" P-47M, it would be very easy for them to change the wings...and voila!!!, a brand new N!!!!!!! B)

Here's my 2 cents:

Back in the late 70's early 80's, in order for Detroit to remain competitive, Japanese car manufacturers were pressured by American tariffs limiting the number of cars they could import here. So naturally Japan started making more expensive (i.e. more profit margin) better quality cars to make up for the lack of quantity. Japan ended up KO'ing Detroit and today the Toyota Camry is the best selling car in America making Japan a boat load of $$$.

Parallel Tamiya today. They're making fewer kits, but they are premier quality, bigger and more expensive - just like the auto industry. Coincidence? The Asians really analyze this stuff.

Prediction: Tamiya 1/3 scale P-51 D for $28,942.58 - you know you'd buy one!

:lol:

--

Cent #2:

Hasagawa is now just a decal company. How many frickin' 1/48 F/A-18's in xxxxxx scheme can they sell?

Edited by Mackie
I was kind of hoping for a 1/32 Corsair.... any variant so long as it is up to the standards of their Zeros and Spit.

I'd be first in line.

If you mean F4U Corsair I agree but A-7 Corsair... not so much.

I have never built a Tamiya but I can tell you that what models are for sale is the problem with building them, you don't know if they will ever make what you want.