What happen to Tamiya's golden years?

i guess the poeple at tamiya have a high hat with all scales and series and once every decade they take out a serie and scale and thats what they will work on for a decade

last decade we had 1/48 aircraft this decade it will be 1/32 :cheers:

in the 70's/80's you had the formula one cars

in the 80's/90's it was motor cycles

and who can blame manufacturers for making models that will sell and keep the hobby going, i think not just one scale is keeping this hobby going if that was the case this hobby would be dead and 6 feet under

so stop your crying.... ;) (wonder what the future will bring, hasegawa-italleri-esci-amt are all under the revell flag. for plastic models every decal sheet is printed by cartograph) meanwhile have i been waiting for over 25 years for a retooled 1/32 F-14 from tamiya (spitfire/zero quality even 1/48 will be nice!) still hoping and waiting patiently :o that will be a decade or two more i think

Edited by tom-navy-cat

I can tell you now that Mr Tamiya himself in an interview with Hobbylink Japan said that a 1/48 scale B-17 will never happen from Tamiya. He said it would be too expensive to produce. If they did everyone would be complaining that the kit sells for $300 and it would just sit on the LHS shelfs. So you have the Revell or Monagram and that is your choice unless Trumpeter produce one. I will say that the next allied aircraft in 1/32 scale will be a P-51D in 1/32 scale from Tamiya.

I want a B-25 in 1/32 scale!!!!!!! A B-25J with the 8 gun nose! I'd even be happy if Trumpeter made one because they would be enough aftermarket to do what ever you wanted to it. Until then I look forward to the 1/32 scale P-61 that will come early next year in resin.

Edited by Cunumdrum61

Mee Two.

I even started rehabilitating an old Revell kit in hopes Tamiya would announce a Corsair as soon as i finish with this Jurassic beast.

david

I was kind of hoping for a 1/32 Corsair.... any variant so long as it is up to the standards of their Zeros and Spit.

I'd be first in line.

Yes maybe it would sell but Tamiya will not invest that type of money in cutting molds on a maybe it will sell. Remember Tamiya market to Japan as number 1 and many people in Japan would not buy it. People in Japan do not have the available space in thier homes nor do many in the Uk and Europe.It is a kit that would sell really only well in the States. With the amount of complaining I see on all the forums as to the price of kits these days I do not think a 1/48 scale B-17 would walk of the shelfs at say $300.Many say they want one until it came to the crunch of having to part with the money. Many people complained as to the price of the 1/32 scale Spitfire just released. Imagine asking $300 plus for a B-17. You may see one from Trumpy of Hoobby Boss and that will be it I'm afriad. I still think the Monogram kit is a good kit. Some aftermarket and it can look great. Perhaps people just do not want to put the work into kits these days and just want a shake and bake.

Edited by Cunumdrum61
So you have the Revell or Monagram and that is your choice unless Trumpeter produce one.

In which case you'd still have the Revell or Monogram kits, since Trumpeter's would be covered with divots and have at least three or four major outline errors, and would require $300 worth of resin to correct the $250 kit.

:thumbsup:

J

Jennings, you are such the optimist. Maybe by the time Trumpy get around to a B-17 they may have it all sorted. The divot maker has been confined to making holes for the greens at the golf course and they do actually use plans to design their kits. :thumbsup:

Cent #2:

Hasagawa is now just a decal company. How many frickin' 1/48 F/A-18's in xxxxxx scheme can they sell?

How many can they sell? Easy. All of them. If they couldn't sell them, they wouldn't turn them out. They're a business, and as such they are out to make money. If they saw the kits sitting unsold on shelves (or more accurately, if they saw orders from distributors dropping because the last batches were sitting on the shelves unsold), thereby making decal sheet and box print runs too expensive for the expected return, they'd stop releasing decal variations in a heartbeat.

Edited by LanceB
  • 2 weeks later...
Sorry to rain on everyones parade but the next Tamiya 1/32 scale kit will be the North American P-51D. Just wait you'll see!

The man is probably right. But I would love to see a corsair or other round engined fighter from them.

Many people complained as to the price of the 1/32 scale Spitfire just released.

I didn't complain, but I admit I was shocked. Looking at my LHS and seeing Hasegawa 1/32 for a lot less. It seemed a lot for a single engined fighter. Now I fully admit I don't know if there is a bunch of extra model goodness in the box to warrant the price.

I didn't complain, but I admit I was shocked. Looking at my LHS and seeing Hasegawa 1/32 for a lot less. It seemed a lot for a single engined fighter. Now I fully admit I don't know if there is a bunch of extra model goodness in the box to warrant the price.

yeah hasegawa is cheaper a lot cheaper! but they dont have the details tamiya put in this model. check www.1999.co.jp here you can look up the models click on the kit and you can look at the construction sheet page by page.........and check the difference! then you know its apples and oranges

no aftermarket stuff needed in this tamiya kit......okay decals

Edited by tom-navy-cat