I wonder if stabilizer problems will rear their heads down the road? AKA F-100

It seems pretty small, not an engineer, but during extreme angles, I wonder if they will have full control authority.

Well, the PAK-FA does also have the Full 3D TVN ... So,I imagine that can also help greatly in the extreme ends of the flight envelope ...

Gregg

It seems pretty small, not an engineer, but during extreme angles, I wonder if they will have full control authority.

I am quite sure that is you calculate the size of the stabs, they will be bigger (much bigger) that the actually turning area on Su-27, F-16 or any other fighter. (speaking of just tail sections) The stabs are as small as they are because of stealth. Compare Su-27 and F-22 in the sideview with PAK-FA.

However, i wonder how the stabs interact with the rest of the controllable surfaces. YF-23 (yes, i use it as example *again*. Sorry) for instance had a cool scheme. I am not thinking especially about Pelikan tail, but in general how the surfaces interacted with each other. To add to the complexity, PAK-FA has full 3D TVC.

• 2 weeks later...
I noticed that too......

It looks like a RWR antenna.

Ken

Doh !! :o

We've just realised (on another forum) - that it is the cannon muzzle.

It just looks more prominent on the painted airframe than it did on the primer-coated one.

Panic over..... ;)

Ken

Doh !! :doh:

We've just realised (on another forum) - that it is the cannon muzzle.

It just looks more prominent on the painted airframe than it did on the primer-coated one.

Panic over..... :worship:

Ken

Yeah, realized it as well. :D Although it is maybe some cover, since to me the muzzle seems same style as on MiG-29, Su-27, F-16 etc. Basically a hole through the frame, and the muzzle itself is hidden. So that is maybe a cover for the cannon muzzle? :worship:

What a beautiful plane. I love her lines and can't wait to get a chance to build one. Can't say I am a fan of the camo scheme, but I really dug the look of the primer on the first flight.

Cheers,

Dave

Amazing video!

Checkout the lerx canards. So awesome. Also, when Bogdan (the test pilot) walked around the aircraft touching it reminded me of an interview with him back in 2007. He said that he liked to walk around the aircraft and do last check, and touch the aircraft without gloves. The ritual is shown in this vid as well. :cheers:

Amazing video!

Checkout the lerx canards. So awesome. Also, when Bogdan (the test pilot) walked around the aircraft touching it reminded me of an interview with him back in 2007. He said that he liked to walk around the aircraft and do last check, and touch the aircraft without gloves. The ritual is shown in this vid as well. :D

I liked the way he actually kicked the tires....... ;)

I thought that was just an urban legend..... :blink:

Ken

I liked the way he actually kicked the tires....... ;)

I thought that was just an urban legend..... :blink:

Ken

Probably to clean his shoes from snow, he did that on the stairs as well. :D

WARNING: Heavy pictures!

pakfahirestop.jpg

pakfahires7.jpg

pakfahires1.jpg

pakfahires14.jpg

pakfahires10.jpg

pakfahires9.jpg

My favorite so far, although not very sharp:

pakfahires4.jpg

Some general info:

PAK-FA will have a new seat, based on K-36. Testing of that seat will happen on MiG-31. A news agency reported that PAK-FA carry the new seat already, but apparently it hasn't been tested yet, so that sounds unlikely to me. Probably some misunderstanding.

Edited by Berkut
  • 4 weeks later...

Aircraft was presented to Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin at Zhukovsky; looks like PAK-FA gave its first demo display.

Not much details can be seen in this display, but acceleration looks amazing.

I can't see if it uses afterburner or not, but doesn't seems so. In conversation Pogo says to Putin that the prototype is limited in terms of G force strain, which makes sense. There is 14 test flights in total so far.