:D, I'll say Gregg,

The fact that the pilot survived that at all is a miracle and a tribute to the strength of the Gripen's design. That really was a spectacular prang. Does anyone know what went wrong? Oh, and to bring the topic back on topic, I'm also waiting for the PAK-FA's first flight with baited breath.

:cop:,

Ross.

The suspense is rising! :cop:

<...>The fact that the pilot survived that at all is a miracle and a tribute to the strength of the Gripen's design. That really was a spectacular prang. Does anyone know what went wrong? <...>

IIRC, the cause of the crash was pilot-induced oscillation. THIS PAGE about Gripen mishaps on Wikipedia seems to back that up. I've read elsewhere that had the pilot simply let go of the stick, the plane would have righted itself, but I don't know how much truth is to that.

Apparently, the Gripen has a great safety record for a single-engined plane. In all five crashes, the pilot was able to eject safely.

That crash was clearly a fake. I've seen many movies, and even a bicycle (in a movie) will explode in a spectacular fireball when crashed. Where was the Earth shattering kaboom?!

Oh, wait, Saab. Nevermind.

Have any roll-out photos been released? Do we know exactly what this thing looks like? I have seen the artwork, but no real pics.

It has been said many times that there is no pictures available what so ever of it. Artwork = fanwork.

I remember when that happened ... Was a very scary looking crash ...

Gregg

Yup that pilot had more lives than a cat!.....after crashing another Gripen and a Viggen he decided enough was enough and quit while he was a head!

( he had only 2 bail outs and following protocol he would have been allowed a 3rd before the docs would have grounded him)

The suspense is rising! :doh:

IIRC, the cause of the crash was pilot-induced oscillation. THIS PAGE about Gripen mishaps on Wikipedia seems to back that up. I've read elsewhere that had the pilot simply let go of the stick, the plane would have righted itself, but I don't know how much truth is to that.

Apparently, the Gripen has a great safety record for a single-engined plane. In all five crashes, the pilot was able to eject safely.

The premature ejection I thought was the funniest.....the latest crash isn´t listed tho, a pilot forgot to extend landing gears while landing :P

So far the only thing the Gripen has killed is a bunch of chickens on a farm, who suffered from a sonic boom when a low flying Gripen passed above....and X number of sparrows and seagulls that have had closer inspections of the fan blades.

:woot.gif:

Does anyone have an idea when (what time) we "could" expect the first pictures to see here in Europe following a succesful first flight ??

Deino

The time is now 06.15 in Amure. In Amure it is 28'th now. Expect news around 10 or 12 Moscow time. Maybe later, who knows. If the flight will happen tomorrow. If it will, then it is just matter of hours now...

:coolio: :blink: :blink:

I have to admit, I`m genuinely excited.

(I need to get out more. :) )

Seriously, I`m looking forward to this, I`ll be glued to `Russia Today` with the finger on record.

Ian (hermit and social outcast)

I wonder if the Russian branch of Popular Mechanics has any further insights than the rest of us? In terms of speculative designs, this one strikes me as the most viable:

004_001_1256046396_full.jpg

Relatively conventional layout, obviously some facets of LO theory integrated into the design, a nod toward the same aerodynamic and other design principles that made the F-22 succesful, some obvious Flanker heritage from the same company, etc. etc. The article is a pretty good read as well, but I think you have to subscribe to see it.

I'm excited to see some pics of this sucker.

Personally, i have always like that Saturn rendering. There is one thing that have always puzzled me tho. Those holes on the LERX. I guess it could be the intake FOD system ala MiG-29 or Yak-130. But they seem to small, and i don't see any point of having them on at high speed. (i guess it is shooting at high speed, atleast over the landing/take off speed)

It could also be some intakes that is turned on when missiles are shot, so that gases don't choke the engine. Aaaand, it could be nothing at all. :woot.gif:

Personally, i have always like that Saturn rendering. There is one thing that have always puzzled me tho. Those holes on the LERX. I guess it could be the intake FOD system ala MiG-29 or Yak-130. But they seem to small, and i don't see any point of having them on at high speed. (i guess it is shooting at high speed, atleast over the landing/take off speed)

It could also be some intakes that is turned on when missiles are shot, so that gases don't choke the engine. Aaaand, it could be nothing at all. :woot.gif:

Dude, you should be slapping together those plastic kits! :woot.gif: