Personally, I'd absolutely love a 1/32 copy of the prototype. It would look awesome in those colors sitting right next to a YF-23 (and a YF-22 as well (even though it's butt-ugly)).

More pictures please!

:worship:

Chris, if you make one, they will come.

Well at least I will. :-)

Terry

Just some data because it was mentioned earlier in the thread:

YF-22 prototype #1 first flight: 29 Sept, 1990

F-22 a/c 4001 (first production aircraft) first flight: 7 Sept, 1997

That's 22 days short of seven years, which is very comparable to the times being turned in by the Russian OKBs.

nice PS job

ri9evd.jpg

The LERX looks like they are mobile..

And there are interesting fairings on the outboard side of each inlet, under the wings, that makes me think they are used to divert radar reflexions away from the inlet from some angles to possibly improve some more the stealth characteristics of the inlets (that or to better hide the weapon bay doors when they are open (seems like a smart idea to me if its that).

Waco, care to comment to enlighten us a little on what those two characteristics might be used for ?

I am curious.

Stephane.

Stratosphere Models.

Edited by Stratospheremodels
And of course, we need one of the model kit companies to rush a semi-speculative kit of the demonstrator into production, only to be punished fiercely when the more prudent firms wait until they have close access to the production model.

Depends how good your contacts are. And how close to the airport and runaway access.

I am not talking... :D

Stephane.

Stratosphere Models.

The reason I expect to eventually see a taller tail is IF they plan on flying it at higher angles of attack. As the angle of attack increases, the airflow will separate from the wing and move further away from the later control surfaces--in this case, the all-moving tailplanes. In this case, it wouldn't have to go very high before there would be no effective control surfaces for maintaining lateral stability. The moveable LERXs and assymetric thrust vectoring will probably be able to have SOME measure of compensation....but not enough to completely eliminate a need for taller tails.

They may opt NOT to do that, particularly if they're focusing more on the high speed, high end interceptor role. In that case, the all-moving tailplanes will certainly provide a measure of effectiveness at supersonic speeds (its one reason we moved to all moving horizontal stabs from hinged elevators).

I find the LERXs to be the most interesting part of the design, although I'm becoming more convinced that they are like blended forward canards.

Hey, i just saw your earlier comment Waco, very interesting !

So, 'emminently unqualified' uh.. ? You are too modest.

Stephane

Stratosphere Models

Picturetrail.com/stratospheremodels

Edited by Stratospheremodels
Gee, someone just had to come and start ruining this otherwise civil thread.
I'm serious. Looking at its shape, it's not like any one aircraft I've seen. It's no F-22, if that's what you're implying.

Don't get me wrong guys I like it... it's cool looking and nice to see something new... but any of you that don't see the strong Raptor resemblance (especially from the top) need your vision checked! If any of these and the Raptors were ever to get in close enough for a furball, I guarantee there would be visual IFF problems between both sides!

I know (I hope) you are only joking...but...

That word does not follow the rules for ASIG (not NATO) reporting names......

It should start with the letter F

It should have only TWO syllables.

It should not be confused with any other reporting name.

It fails on rule 2...

Ken (who's in a pedantic mood right now)

Yes, it was all in jest Ken :jaw-dropping: ... but thanks for the short tutorial on the ASIG. Very interesting.

Don't get me wrong guys I like it... it's cool looking and nice to see something new... but any of you that don't see the strong Raptor resemblance (especially from the top) need your vision checked!

My vision is fine. From a distance, and at certain angles I can see your point, but it is a distinct aircraft. I guess I'm weary from constant "Russian aircraft = copies of American planes" remarks. As far as I know there hasn't been a major Russian aircraft that was copied from an American design since Stalin ordered his engineers to duplicate the B-29.

If any of these and the Raptors were ever to get in close enough for a furball, I guarantee there would be visual IFF problems between both sides!

Let's hope the Russians don't paint the PAK FA in F-22-like markings. Besides, it's a bit drab.

Hey, how can it not be? Its meat on the table for the Super Tweet

There was one attempt at a Super Tweet. Contrary to rumors, it didn't crash. It's awesomeness was too great for our dimension's laws of physics.

tunguska1.jpgtunguska3.jpg

I know (I hope) you are only joking...but...

That word does not follow the rules for ASIG (not NATO) reporting names......

It should start with the letter F

It should have only TWO syllables.

It should not be confused with any other reporting name.

It fails on rule 2.

Ken (who's in a pedantic mood right now)

Foible ?

Gregg