I see this thread is spamed down now. Oh well, then i won't bother with doing updates on info and pics. Isn't worth the time.

slightly sad... :)

i was taking a look everyday since it started...

hoping for something new (not just thoses f-22 allusions)

thanks for every pics and links, Berkut!

by the way, your Pak-Fa perso Pic. is Awsome!

I see this thread is spamed down now. Oh well, then i won't bother with doing updates on info and pics. Isn't worth the time.

Ah yes, levity is forbidden in this thread. It must maintain all seriousness, or else folks will take their ball and go home.

Ah, it was just a joke.

I know it was a joke. But some jokes just gets old, fast, and suddenly turns into a pile of spam.

But nvm me and my ball, just continue.

Edited by Berkut
Firefox!

How about the following:

Factum

Faitour

Falchion

Forerunner

Fallout

Fanatic

Fearless

Feral

That's all I got. I can't think of anymore names better than the previous code name 'Flanker'.

Hey Berkut, as has been mentioned it's all in fun (and perhaps a little jealousy from the Raptor fans).

Please don't let it get to you and please don't stop sharing pictures and info with us!!! That only hurts your fellow modeler/aviation enthusiast.

You know how much of a Russian aircraft enthusiast I am. I am not going to let any of the fun bother me.

Remember, just a joke!

:taunt:

Edited by Zactoman

Of course, the Firkin was never fielded into operational service, which makes it odd that it even has a NATO reporting name. And considering that I've seen plenty of Russians where Fulcrum/Flanker Driver patches....

But the MiG-29 and Su-27 never had official Russian names, and the Russian pilots like the names, they are somewhat flattering. I dont know for sure, but the Su-47 was the first Russian fighter with a official name I heard of, but also, the Su-27 and MiG-29 were created under Communist rule, the Su-50 will be the first new Sukhoi fighter under 'democratic' conditions.

Of course, the Firkin was never fielded into operational service, which makes it odd that it even has a NATO reporting name.

The Su-47 wasn't alone in that regard. The MiG-1.44 MFI was named "Flatpack". Then there were the MiG-21 one-offs that received names like "Flipper" and "Faceplate", as well as the Yak-36 "Freehand" and Yak-141 "Freestyle". I'm sure there were others.

I see this thread is spamed down now.........................

I know it was a joke. But some jokes just gets old, fast, and suddenly turns into a pile of spam.

I know how you feel Berkut. I was enjoying this thread a great deal but it gets out of hand really fast does n't it?

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for a little levity ("little" being the operative word) but there's a time and a place.

If folk want to spend time thinking of funny names for this newest of Russian jets why not start a thread in TPC where everyone can join in without detracting from what is a very informative and interesting thread?

Wading through pages of tripe to get to the useful stuff just gets tiring after a while.......

Yours faithfully,

Billy Nosenseofhumour

:lol:

;)

OK - while we are awaiting some more photos and information about the T50/PAK FA (it's all gone a bit dead hasn't it ??)...... I'll chip in...

If you are going to play the 'name that plane' game, at least obey the friggin rules !!!!!!

a. It must begin with the letter F

b. It must have ONLY two syllables

c. It must not be confused with any other reporting name.

So you can't have 'Forerunner' or 'Fanatic'

Also, it isn't a NATO 'code name' - it is a 'Reporting Name' - assigned by ASCC (which has changed again to ASIG? (IIRC)

It includes Australia and New Zealand who aren't in NATO.

It is designed to be used over the radio/coms systems to unambiguously report an 'enemy' aircraft......

'Two J-10s coming in fast, low level, bearing xxxxxxx'

'Say again, Two A-10s ???'

'Negative, two J-10s'......

The Reporting name was only supposed to be allocated when an aircraft entered service - but the system breaks down with 'Firkin', 'Flatpack', 'Mermaid'

etc etc.

(BTW - you do know why its called 'Flatpack' - don't you ??)

It also should not have a 'Su' designation - that was only supposed to be allocated when the design (T50) entered service.

But, as with all systems, the rules got broken.... :)

The Russians also use their own nicknames - 'White Swan' for the Tu-160, 'Crane' for the Su-27 etc - there are loads of them.

They also sometimes use the ASIG name - where it is complementary or 'cool' - so Bear, Flanker etc are used.

Anyway - enough of this banter - until there is something useful to report about the Su-50/PAK FA, I'm off to stare at a Su-27 and an F-22 to see how they might be fused together.....

Ken

PS - Please shout if any more drawings appear...

Edited by Flankerman
I know how you feel Berkut. I was enjoying this thread a great deal but it gets out of hand really fast does n't it?

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for a little levity ("little" being the operative word) but there's a time and a place.

If folk want to spend time thinking of funny names for this newest of Russian jets why not start a thread in TPC where everyone can join in without detracting from what is a very informative and interesting thread?

Wading through pages of tripe to get to the useful stuff just gets tiring after a while.......

Yours faithfully,

Billy Nosenseofhumour

:thumbsup:

:worship:

Exactly what i was thinking "Billy", on all points. But i guess for us two, humor is just an unheard thing. :yahoo: Oh well, i will find my white flag, pick up the ball, and walk home.

Exactly what i was thinking "Billy", on all points. But i guess for us two, humor is just an unheard thing. :jaw-dropping: Oh well, i will find my white flag, pick up the ball, and walk home.

Oh hell no!!

You better not stop the updates, am addicted to them.

So, please, ignore the peanut gallery, and hook us up with more updates, videos, pictures, etc.

Hope at least some of us can meet up at MAKS next year to take a look at it. I do hope they at least have it in static display. Then again, if they have it flying, then can you imagine having a Baltika 7 while watching PakFA flying over our heads?

Keep it coming, most of us are eager to get more goodies.

Hey Ken - let's see one of your masterpieces! i remember your scratch built Su33, let's have a scratch built Pak FA.

Ans Strato Models, am sure there a few of us who would buy a kit of this bird. I know it would not be 'perfect', then again only the prototype is flying. But anything would do right now. Would be an ARC homegrown kit, how cool would that be?

Shark, out of ARC retirement, just for this thread.

Hey Ken, maybe I should know, but who exactly is ASCC or ASIG?

J.C.

It's the Air Standardization Co-ordinating Committee

A Google search found this....

First formed in 1948, the Air Standardization Coordinating Committee (ASCC) is an active and productive international organization that works for the air forces of Australia, Canada, New Zealand, the United Kingdom and the United States of America. Its principal objective is to ensure member nations are able to fight side-by-side as airmen in joint and combined operations

. ASCC began a transformation process in 2005 and assumed the revised title Air and Space Interoperability Council (ASIC)

A search for ASIC found this.

HTH

Ken