:wub:,

If the power requirements for plasma stealth that I have read elsewhere are anything near what is actually required then this bird would need several 40kVa generators on each engine to supply sufficient power. Then there's the issue of getting the phase rotation at exactly the same timing as the genrators come on line, no mean feat on 50 or 60 Hz, I should think extremely difficult on 400 Hz. 400 Hz was chosen for aircraft AC generators many years ago because it gives the greatest power output for a given weight of generator. I know that there is a tendency these days to rectify to DC the whole output of an AC generator which today tend to run frequency wild and use static inverters to produce what AC you need. All of this adds weight and has pretty hefty cooling requirements which add more weight. I can see it becoming an upward spiral which will ultimately decrease the performance and abilities of the aircraft.

When I think back to my days working on Mirages, they only had ram air cooling of the alternator and generator and on prolonged ground runs on hot days both would drop off line when they got too hot, effectively ending the engine run. Blast air cooling ducts from the intakes also add weight so I'd be guessing that one large generator per enigne would be the norm and have it blast air cooled. But seeing as plasma stealth appears to be impractical for aircraft for a number of reasons perhaps that isn't going to appear in aircraft for many more years, if ever.

:thumbsup:,

Ross.

Edited by ross blackford
  • Replies 952
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:banana:, Hi MarkW,

Numerous people have said that the optronic ball in front of the windscreen is unstealthy and that may well be, but would it be possible to make the optronics sensors more stealthy by putting them in those panniers, with glass forward panels ala the forward mounted balls on earlier Sukhois wrapping around the front from one side to the other? I honestly have no idea and that's why I'm asking. Would the pods be more stealthy if the forward edges were rounded and made from that special toughened scratch proof glass that the earlier Sus have their optronic ball outer covers made from, not sharp metal as on the prototype. I guess we'll just have to wait and see. Just asking because I'm curious.

Someone earlier came up with a Russian nickname for this aeroplane, Flattened Frog. Although that doesn't qualify under ASIC rules maybe this one might. I came up with this one earlier today during a conversation about the 1930 England v. Australia cricket test series. How about Flatfrog. I thought of that one on the spur of the moment and in the spirit of the 'Bodyline' television series. Any Aussie cricket fan will know what I'm on about. Some would say that Flatfrog is two words. However during that controversial test series a Sydney sporting writer was sending a telegram to his editor from Adelaide about the new English 'leg theory' bowling technique.

According to the theory which was thought up by the England captain Douglas Jardine and executed by their star bowler Harold Larwood especially to rattle Australia's star batsman, Donald Bradman. The bowler pitches the ball long so it bounces right in front of the batsman on his leg side and pitches up into his face at about 85-90 mph and there's little he can do about it but duck or lose his head. Remember, back in those days cricketers didn't have the personal protective gear they wear today. All Bradman had was his 'Baggy Green' on his head and of course his leg pads and gloves. Although this technique at first threw Bradman off his game, once he got the measure of it he started slogging the ball all around the field and got many sixes and fours off this style of bowling until eventually Jardine realized he was all out of moves against Bradman. It's also ironic that in Bradman's last test match he got out for a 'duck' (no score) to a short pitched slow ball. This dropped his batting average from a potential 100 runs per game to 99.99. How the name Bodyline came about in the tv show was that the journalist didn't have enough money on him to send the telegram he wanted and so eventually culled that part of the sentence down to 'bodyline'. Even then the girl behind the counter said "That's 2 words" and his reply was "No it isn't, 'Bodyline', it's only one word." From that the name stuck and the test series was known here as the 'Bodyline series'. The wording had originally started off "on the line of the body". So, fellow Flanker fans and others, would Flatfrog qualify. It does have some Russian and some Western inspiration in it.

:),

Ross.

Edited by ross blackford
:), Hi MarkW,

Numerous people have said that the optronic ball in front of the windscreen is unstealthy and that may well be, but would it be possible to make the optronics sensors more stealthy by putting them in those panniers, with glass forward panels ala the forward mounted balls on earlier Sukhois wrapping around the front from one side to the other? I honestly have no idea and that's why I'm asking. Would the pods be more stealthy if the forward edges were rounded and made from that special toughened scratch proof glass that the earlier Sus have their optronic ball outer covers made from, not sharp metal as on the prototype. I guess we'll just have to wait and see. Just asking because I'm curious.

:),

Ross.

See how the F-35 EOTS (which should also perform the IRST function with multiple sensor, not an optronic ball), is going to loog like:

f35_technology_eots.jpg

More on the EOTS functions in this video:

Cheers

Davide

Edited by davetur
Any pics of the painted T-50 yet?

I've read the reports on 2nd flight and that it has been painted in white/grey splinter camo...

Second one was on 12'th, and third one happened on 13'th. Yes, it is painted prior to second flight. White nose. Light grey/darker grey camo.

First and foremost, it goes about high, nearly human intelligence. - Makarov said

As people on other forums said, he said that after having a deep conversation with the plane. :worship::coolio:

First and foremost, it goes about high, nearly human intelligence. - Makarov said

As people on other forums said, he said that after having a deep conversation with the plane. <_< :D

Great. One more thing they stole from us...

kitt-display.jpg

Since almighty google haven't been able to find this info, i will say it: T-50-1 is disassembled now for some work. Don't know about exactly what work they will do on it, but it won't fly again until around April. Also, all three flights so far went with no problems. T-50-2 is under assembly, not sure when it will be done.

Okay, speculation about having conversations with the PAK-FA's AI is A-Okay, however, no speculation in regard to what may or may not be weapons bays ... Gotcha ... :cheers: :)

I think i know what's in those armpit fairings - its the computer system that makes the T-50s "artificial intellect" possible! It's Hal 9000!*

The real question here is, did they go with the really cool British accent, a pseudo-British one or an authentic Russian accent?

* Be careful what you say, he's sensitive and he can read lips.

"Armpit" fairings, huh? I think you might be onto something....

350px-Movie_Starscream_promorender2.jpg

Gotta hide those hinges somehow.

I KNEW IT!!!! I knew we were only a couple of weeks away from the T-50 walking on water!

Edited by Trigger
That would be an easy transition for Starscream, to convert from F-22 to PAK-FA. The outer mold line is pure F-22, after all.

Hey, by all means, if you guys want claim to the whiny, incompetent, second class sidekick as personified by Starscream, by all means have him.

Perhaps you have heard of Russian epic, Cinderella? If shoe fits, wear it!

Hey, by all means, if you guys want claim to the whiny, incompetent, second class sidekick as personified by Starscream, by all means have him.

Whiny and second-rate, perhaps, but he beats up F-22s good. :P

Berkut, is there a chance we'll see photos of the prototype in the new livery, or will that have to wait until it's flying again?

Dunno, nothing surfaced yet. So we don't have choice other than wait.

When i saw the pic, i was a bit on the fence if it was real or not...Considering there was a pic posted from almost same angle earlier. However, i saved it, and it says it was taken 13'th. Which is when third flight occurred. Somebody asked nemetc, so to be certain we will see what he answers.

When i saw the pic, i was a bit on the fence if it was real or not...Considering there was a pic posted from almost same angle earlier. However, i saved it, and it says it was taken 13'th. Which is when third flight occurred. Somebody asked nemetc, so to be certain we will see what he answers.

Number ans stars are obviously photoshopped

it's looks like a photoshopped pic...

clouds/fumes in the background are the same as the "near close angle" previous pic of pak-fa...

(not the exact same angle tough... like if the photo had been taken half-second later)

but since it had been posted by zmey smirnoff himself, i'll rely on, till there's something else to see

thanks zmey!

Edited by mingwin