I don't believe that it is. Here's a YF-22, which I'd say is closer to the prototype. I think Raptor01 was more of a production model.

It's still representative of an aircraft built for development purposes. Either way, your original assertion about prototype painting is undercut.

I don't believe that it is. Here's a YF-22, which I'd say is closer to the prototype. I think Raptor01 was more of a production model.

It's still representative of an aircraft built for development purposes. Either way, your original assertion about prototype painting is undercut.

Raptor01 was a PRTV - Production Representative Test Vehicle. There were several of these, followed by a few EMDAV - Engineering and Manufacturing Development Air Vehicle - birds, followed by the production aircraft runs.

Raptor01 was a PRTV - Production Representative Test Vehicle. There were several of these, followed by a few EMDAV - Engineering and Manufacturing Development Air Vehicle - birds, followed by the production aircraft runs.

A production prototype, in other words, whereas the YF-22 was a pre-production prototype.

Sorry about the confusion, Ken. The point remains, though, that prototype aircraft are not always left unpainted.

Edited by MiG31

Although interesting, I was hoping for something a little more 'jazzy' with Sukhoi's past prototype schemes on Su-30, Su-35 and Su-37...

YF-22 was actually a Concept Demonstrator ...

Gregg

Although interesting, I was hoping for something a little more 'jazzy' with Sukhoi's past prototype schemes on Su-30, Su-35 and Su-37...

Gregg

i agree with you (i rather like the tropical camo on su35bm than the gray patched one...)

I could go either way on the camo, really. I think that, given the PAK FA's line of operations, the gray scheme suits it better, but the tropical colors would look quite sharp. Maybe a fractal camo would look good?

Very interesting, and yes i did think that the 01 was a production Raptor rather than a prototype. Thank you for the clarification.

Since Flanker have been painted in a myriad of colors, then i thought the Pak Fa would too. But i can see why it should not.

Shark

Well, almost.

What we are seeing is not engine blades.

ok i give up what is that compressor looking think at the back of the intake then? right there behind the igv yep those are compressor blades

Edited by dylan

There´s something fishy about that pic of the intake....

first of all the intake duct seems very shallow. Like Gregg suggested, it might be a similar thing as the Super Bug intake.

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/8524420b3c.jpg

And the pic is taken at such an angle that you look straight into the duct, I don´t think that much would show on a pic taken directly in front of it.

:D,

Those may be big beautiful radar reflectors at the moment in the prototype. What's to say the inlet configuration and even the engines will be exactly the same on the production jets? Exactly. Nothing. Aigor, I agree with you about the depth of the intakes and I'd add the length of them as well. What's to say it hasn't been photoshopped? Again. Nothing. As Deino said, the picture has been tweaked, in what way, why and by whom we don't really know unless the tweaking was done by Deino himself.

:cheers:,

Ross.

Edited by ross blackford

the turbine blades and stators are obviously taking the most attention on this pic but has anyone else noticed the reflections on the aircraft skin - looks like the aircraft would be silver (despite being painted in camo and it doesn't seem to be gloss finish). As for the engine goes - only time will tell :cheers: