Shame the russian knights will never fly this jet...

http://aerobaticteams.net/news/russian-knights-and-swifts-will-disbanded.html

A - This is ooooold.

B - It is ******.

C - There will be a third display team, with Yak-130's.

Compressor stall, vid link in MAKS thread.

6065185973_a32d24c450_o.jpg

img6607h.jpg

Reason was FADEC, giving too much fuel to the engine. No big damage on the engine.

Edited by Berkut
  • 3 months later...

Might as well post the link to all pics. :)

http://www.knaapo.ru/eng/news/index.wbp?article-id=C4A5ABA9-66C7-4E3B-B57A-4687AF0678D1

And a few extra:

http://sukhoi.org/news/company/?id=4477

Nose should be the same. Well, it is not made of metal now, and it radio transparent with a radar on the inside. Whole 101KS package is installed as well.

is it just me, or the radome is of different shape... or is just the lack of pitot tube making such visual difference?

I thought the same - it seems to have a slightly 'turned up' tip - like a Tu-22M3....

day_03_24.jpg

Not so pronounced - but similar.

Probably just a lack of an air data boom though........

Ken

• 6 months later...

Yesterday T-50-3 finally did first test taxi runs after being shipped to Zhukovsky where it got the radar installed.

nv728x.jpg

Should fly within days.

Damn photo is awesome,I have to get back to my kit....

Yesterday T-50-3 finally did first test taxi runs after being shipped to Zhukovsky where it got the radar installed.

nv728x.jpg

Should fly within days.

Nice ***. ;)

• 11 months later...

Been a while since last update, but for starters T-50-4 made its first flight and flew to Zhukovsky itself instead of being transported in An-124. Flight was around 7000 km and out of security two stops were made.

Today excellent video was released showing T-50-1 doing high AoA testing:

Sum up of the video:

- They claim more than 500 flights has been made. I firmly believe that is a big pile of malarky. Correct number is around 300.

- They claim that top speed is 500 km more than F-22, and say that T-50's top speed is 2500 km. I don't think i need to point out just how BS that is.

- It is also claimed that T-50 is lighter and has greater range than F-22, which sounds correct.

- T-50 exceeded expectations, in for example supercruise and super maneuverability.

Edited by Berkut

Hi Berkut

A question:

- They claim that top speed is 500 km more than F-22, and say that T-50's top speed is 2500 km. I don't think i need to point out just how BS that is.

Are you calling BS on the comparison to the F-22 top speed, or the claim of 2500 km/h? The 2500 km/h is approximately Mach 2.35 at 36,000 ft, which is the same as the max Mach for the Su-27. I think they simply use the Su-27 number for press releases, which is probably quite plausible and I also wouldn't be surprised if that number was used as a design target. I don't think it is particularly unrealistic and by now they probably did the envelope expansion already on an earlier prototype, so it is not impossible that they have already achieved it also.

As far as I know the maximum speed of the F-22 is not published in the open literature. However, I wouldn't be surprised if it is in the same ballpark. I don't know where the 500 km/h difference would come from, so I presume that is the part that bothered you?

Are you calling BS on the comparison to the F-22 top speed, or the claim of 2500 km/h? The 2500 km/h is approximately Mach 2.35 at 36,000 ft, which is the same as the max Mach for the Su-27. I think they simply use the Su-27 number for press releases, which is probably quite plausible and I also wouldn't be surprised if that number was used as a design target. I don't think it is particularly unrealistic and by now they probably did the envelope expansion already on an earlier prototype, so it is not impossible that they have already achieved it also.

As far as I know the maximum speed of the F-22 is not published in the open literature. However, I wouldn't be surprised if it is in the same ballpark. I don't know where the 500 km/h difference would come from, so I presume that is the part that bothered you?

It was mostly the claim that T-50 is 500 km/h faster than F-22 at top speed is what bothered me. I would say we know fairly good what F-22's top speed is going by Paul Metz's comment:

...this aircraft is fast. I mean it's REALLY fast. The top speed is classified but it'll do sixteen hundred miles per hour.

IMHO, the way i read it is that the lowest top speed he can go out with and confirm is 1600 miles per hour. And no way T-50 is 500 km/h faster than that.

But that is ok, because clearly journalist said it is 500 km/h faster than F-22 by assuming that the top speed is around 2000 km/h or lets say roughly mach 2. (and hence T-50 being 2500+ km/h) And by sheer coincidence, mach 2 is what is being given as top speed on the Russian wiki page on F-22. :whistle:/> ;)/>

So i have problem with all three claims:

a - That F-22's top speed is mach 2. (They didn't say it directly, but it was implicit. I believe it is much higher, and Metz's comment support that)

b - Hence you can't say T-50 is 500 km/h faster because the F-22 number they used is false.

c - Either way, faster or not faster by 500 km/h, i am not entirely convinced T-50's top speed is 2500 km/h.

But hey, they are journalists (which means they are lazy by default :P/>) and it was aimed not for us with extra interest, but at babushkas and so on.

Many years ago former chief of RuAF basically said that difference between mach 2.15 and mach 2 requires a lot of work strengthening tail area. (and probably a whole bunch of other stuff) Hence he indirectly said that the requirement is at mach 2. If you are *really* interested i could PM the exact quote, date and so on, but i will not bore you and others here. :P/>

Now, i realize a lot of things could change since then, requirement being bumped up, Sukhoi figuring out how to strengthen the tail etc, but i haven't seen any evidence for that.

Now, same day that video was released, following rumor/comment appeared on Internet:

Так на испытаниях этой весной при полной загрузке топливом и массагабаритными макетами вооружений 4й борт взлетел с 310 метров, достиг крейсерской скорости 2135кмч и максимальной 2610кмч, при этом был еще потенциал по разгону, а так же забрался на 24300 метров - дальше не пустили.
This spring fully loaded with fuel and dummy weapons 4th board (T-50-4) took off from 310 meters, has reached cruising speed of 2135 km/h and maximum speed of 2610km/h, there were also potential for more, and also climbed to 24,300 meters - wasn't allowed higher.

Apparently those numbers are from radio scanners, but posted by second hand source. Hence we can't verify whether they are true or not. If they are, then that not only shatters the possible "belief" that the requirement is mach 2, but it is also pretty damn impressive stuff even compared to F-22 which is a beast.

Sorry for the "War And Peace" length of the reply, but i felt all those parts needed to be included. :P/>

Edited by Berkut
  • 2 months later...

On the last day there was only 2 of them, but the solo display of Thursday was awesome,I never thought the T-50 was that maneuverable !

There is still cap of around 5G's on it, and when it was sunny in earlier days of the MAKS (during training) it had much longer and complex display. And Bogdan said it is only showing 40 % of the potential... ;)

• 4 weeks later...