I'm building a 1/144 Revell kit, and it doesn't come with anything I circled. Good thing they didn't carry M4's - I don't know how I was going to scratchbuild one in that scale.

The few pictures I have that I know are from 2003 have a full load of 8 Hellfires and rocket pods. Was that typical for the time period?

Thanks for your help.

I've seen photos of a few different loads during the initial invasion. The oddball one was three hellfire racks (with a mix of SAL and RF missiles) and a single rocket pod. Standard seemed to be 8 missiles and two pods during the push north. After that it went to two pods and four missiles. Not sure what the standard is now.

Standard seemed to be 8 missiles and two pods during the push north. After that it went to two pods and four missiles.

If I did a 4 missile configuration, does it matter where the missiles are placed? I don't see a pattern as to where missiles are placed when carrying less than a full load.

Not sure what the standard is now.

I have dozens of pictures from the 2006-now time frame and I can't find a single configuration used twice.

If I did a 4 missile configuration, does it matter where the missiles are placed? I don't see a pattern as to where missiles are placed when carrying less than a full load.

I have dozens of pictures from the 2006-now time frame and I can't find a single configuration used twice.

I can tell you how I'd prefer missiles to be loaded, but often it's where the armament doggies put the darn things. I'd prefer a flat-two configuration. Two missiles on the upper rails and that's it. That's better for CG purposes. Next preference would be a straight two, two missiles mounted vertically on the inboard two rails of the launcher. I've flown with six missiles loaded (all dummies) and I'll tell ya, hovering sucks with that much weight on board. And I had empty pods too!

I think the heaviest weapons load I've flown with was full pods (38 rockets), 330 rounds of ammo and 4 missiles on board... and it was a hot day....

Since we're talking strictly OIF, and the early phase at that, I'd say load em up with as many missiles as you want! Post 2004, I wouldn't build it with the radar on it. They all came off pretty quickly to save weight (and a targeting radar is about worthless when you're fighting insurgents).

Someday I'll probably do an update to my Walkaround book. It is current up to early 2008, but there have been several improvements even since then.

Jon

Edited by Cobrahistorian
  • 6 months later...