Interplanetary U.F.O. Mystery Ship

I just got in my AMT Interplanetary U.F.O. Mystery Ship. No more searching on eBay, and watching the prices go over $300.00.

http://www.round2models.com/models/amt/ufo-mystery-ship

The only bummer is that they didn't include the clear red "Ion engines" from the original "Leif Ericson" version. Oh well, I can live with that. The new decal sheet is AWESOME!! I should've ordered 2 or 3, so I could do all the different versions.

Larry

Yeah, it's pretty cool and still glows in the dark too! Had one many years ago when it was new. But you're right about the engines. They are just big empty see-through shells. The question is, leave it unpainted for the glow in the dark feature, with all the seams visible, or paint it and do a proper job of hiding the seams, but then it won't glow.

Amaco (American Art Clay) makes water based glow in the dark paint for about $7.00 a bottle for a half ounce. I've got plans to do one of these as the UFO and I'm going to overspray the model in that to deal with the seam issues.

Reason for the lack of the LE's clear red bits is that tooling apparently has been lost, but some resin guys are apparently working on offering replacements. Check back with Starship Modeler, Federation Models and CultTVman in a couple months as there may be some red resin ones available by then.

I had the Leif Ericson when it first came out. I still have the shuttlecraft from it. Does the new release have the shuttle?

Federation Models has the engines and has for some time. You just have to search for them in their listings.

I had the Leif Ericson when it first came out. I still have the shuttlecraft from it. Does the new release have the shuttle?

Federation Models has the engines and has for some time. You just have to search for them in their listings.

Yes, you still get the shuttle, as well as it's cone shaped landing gear.

Unfortunately, they are solid resin, instead of clear red, so you can't light them.

6%20leif%20eng.jpg

I read on Starship Modeler, that someone is coming out with a clear red set soon.

Larry

• 3 weeks later...

A member brought one of these to our last club meeting. It is actually a pretty cool little model especially with the new decal set. Several options including two shark's mouths plus hanger bay detailing decals. A nice paint job using transparent paints would look quite fabulous with the glow in the dark plastic

I am looking forward to picking one up and having my own pirate cruiser :D

Could somebody explain what this ship is from please? Is it part of Star Trek or a unique series or what?

The original issue was called the "Lief Ericson" and was part of the "Strategic Space Command". AMT thought that if they had a cool looking spaceship, it would sell without a TV show backing it up (Like their Trek series). They issued it in the same style of box as their Star Trek models, leaving many to assume it was somehow connected with Trek (And, in a way, it was, in that Matt Jefferies, the designer of the original Enterprise, was also the designer of the Lief Ericson). It was apparently designed around some sort of bottle..if you look at top views you can see a definte bottle shape to the main body and "neck".

The kit was subsequently re-issued as the "Interplanetary UFO" in a glow in the dark plastic, and with a few less parts (the above mentioned engine pieces), but otherwise, was the same model. I'm guessing sales weren't stellar (ouch! Sorry) and the kit went into obscurity by the late 70s. This, of course, is why they commanded stupidly high amounts of money to collectors up until a while ago. I guess I should have unloaded my last built-up one, but it is a mess anyhow, I doubt I could have gotten more than $75.00 for it!

Alvis 3.1, Space Cadet

To add to what Alvis has posted, if you look at some of Matt's original passes at the Enterprise, at one point he was trending towards something that looked like the Galactic Cruiser, but continued on with the saucer and nacelle concept we all know and love. There is a bit of a submarine look to the ship as well and that can be seen in the command conning tower in front. The Botany Bay from the TOS episode "Space Seed" has a similar feel to it.

The ship design has achieved something of a cult status today due to its origins and how it was used in the 1970s. It served as the inspiration for the starship MacArthur in the book "The Mote in the Gods Eye" by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle. Indeed the two authors saw the Mystery UFO kit on the shelf and thought it would be as good a design as any for their ship. It has also appeared on science fiction book and magazine covers for other works. Matt Jefferies was also contracted by George Pal to be an art designer for a pilot TV sequel to "War of the Worlds" where the Earth had built ships to find the invaders that had attacked them in the 1950s. The main ship was the Pegasus and it looked like a modified and inverted version of the Leif Ericsson. Read more about it here:

http://www.projectrho.com/SSC/index.html

To add to what Alvis has posted, if you look at some of Matt's original passes at the Enterprise, at one point he was trending towards something that looked like the Galactic Cruiser, but continued on with the saucer and nacelle concept we all know and love. There is a bit of a submarine look to the ship as well and that can be seen in the command conning tower in front. The Botany Bay from the TOS episode "Space Seed" has a similar feel to it.

The ship design has achieved something of a cult status today due to its origins and how it was used in the 1970s. It served as the inspiration for the starship MacArthur in the book "The Mote in the Gods Eye" by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle. Indeed the two authors saw the Mystery UFO kit on the shelf and thought it would be as good a design as any for their ship. It has also appeared on science fiction book and magazine covers for other works. Matt Jefferies was also contracted by George Pal to be an art designer for a pilot TV sequel to "War of the Worlds" where the Earth had built ships to find the invaders that had attacked them in the 1950s. The main ship was the Pegasus and it looked like a modified and inverted version of the Leif Ericsson. Read more about it here:

http://www.projectrho.com/SSC/index.html

Jay beat me to the link. Lots of good info on there. My brother built the UFO kit when he was a kid and if suffered over the years. I will be picking up at least one of these but have decided on whether to do the Lief or Macarthur.

• 4 months later...
Amaco (American Art Clay) makes water based glow in the dark paint for about $7.00 a bottle for a half ounce. I've got plans to do one of these as the UFO and I'm going to overspray the model in that to deal with the seam issues.

Reason for the lack of the LE's clear red bits is that tooling apparently has been lost, but some resin guys are apparently working on offering replacements. Check back with Starship Modeler, Federation Models and CultTVman in a couple months as there may be some red resin ones available by then.

Just ordered the ship everyones talking about .. I had one as a child -The Leif Ericson . I love this ship... back when Scifi was fun and new..

I found the Engine parts here.. and Decals for the Leif Ericson..logos and call numbers. http://www.federationmodels.com/

I clicked on the models link on the left and then went to the bottom of the page and in small print.. a link-> Price list.. printable...

I used it to scan for the item I was looking for. It saved me a lot time instead of searching the entire site..

I'm sure someone else will have red clear before long.. Maybe Voodoo Fx lighting.. They make lighting for all kinds of retro models...

I still have the little shuttle craft from that kit in my spares box somewhere...............

wow, that really brings back some memories.

jeff

Not only do I have the shuttlecraft but I still have the record that came with the kit.

• 1 month later...