EA-6A Drop Tanks

Can anyone confirm what size drop tanks these are hanging on the outboard stations? They look considerably smaller than the 500-gallon tanks on the inboard stations. 300-gallon perhaps?

EA6A-home.jpg

EA-6A_VMCJ-1_DaNang_Jun1970.jpg

EA6.jpg

Thanks in advance.

In the second pic, that's not a fuel tank; it's a chaff pod.

Regards,

Murph

How can you tell? They look the same as the "fuel tank" shapes in the other two images to me. Is the giveaway the color?

EDIT - Wait a sec, am I mistaking "fuel tanks" for "chaff pods" in all three images?

Edited by John B

Okay, so looking for some sort of final confirmation here - Inboard -> 500-gallon tanks, Outboard -> 300-gallon tanks ?

Something about the tail sections on the outboards looks weird to me. Perhaps they were carryovers from the EF-10s maybe?

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone have ideas where I can find a 150-gallon tank in 1/48th or 300-gallon tank in 1/96? I'm wondering if a 500-gallon or 300-gallon tanks in 1/72 could be a good starting point for the shape.

Edited by John B

Well! I had no idea those were chaff pods!!! ;) Huh, learn somethin' new here everyday! So, those blunt ends are where the chaff is "expelled"?

Where can I score some of those in 1/48 & 1/72 scale? :P

Edited by jollyrogerf14
Where can I score some of those in 1/48 & 1/72 scale? :wave:

From the top of my head, in Gentleman's Scale two-finned examples of these tanks are to be had in the 1/72nd Monogram A-1E and Academy OV-10A/D kits. You might have to scratchbuild additional fins, but with a bit of plastic card it won't be that hard to do.

HTH,

Andre