Here's a kit I've been working on for a while now, though progressing at the slowest possible pace. I'm still entangled in some preliminary work, namely the complete rescribing of all engraved detail. This is a remarkable kit under many aspects, but the quality of the surface detail definitely isn't one of them. Panel lines are cleanly traced, but they appear to be both very shallow and unusually wide. A shortcoming that has been addressed, as far as i know, in the ICM release of the MiG-25PD.

As I was saying, unbelievably boring work so far. I'm not the greatest fan of having to rescribe detail that was already there to begin with, yet this is what I've been keeping busy with since I opened the box.

One good thing is that almost all panel lines seem to match the references I've got, so it's just a matter of using them as a guide for the dymo tape.

The wings called for some further detailing, so I went on to add rivets wherever needed.

01.jpg

The vertical stabilizers and the rest of the fuselage received pretty much the same treatment. There's some detail still to be added, but it looks like the hard part is over. The detail highlighted in adrk red in the picture right below is a very crude representation of an air scoop, which I will later replace with a scratchbuilt one once the major assemblies are put together

02.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

The kit's exhaust were a bit devoid of detail, so i placed some Evergreen styrene strips inside the burner can to reproduce the ribbing. The process was so tedious I never even considered repeating it for the other part, so i made resin copies of it. This was my first try at resing casting, and I was happy to realize I wasn't covered in sticky chemicals by the time I had finished pouring the resin inside the rubber molds.

03.jpg

I couldn't resist dry fitting some stuff together to see what the bird would look like, and I must say this is one impressive sight, especially in 1:72. The peculiar twin cockpit arrangement of the trainer variant is, to me, the real selling point of the whole kit, and Condor seem to have done a great job as far as capturing the look of the PU goes.

07.jpg

08.jpg

Thanks for your replies, everyone.

Ken - I just checked the canopies, everything seems to be in order. Sorry to hear about the troubles with your build, I hope you'll be able to get a replacement.

Speaking of the pilots' offices, how did you tackle the barren cockpit? I was planning to display at least one canopy open, but since there's no detail whatsoever to show (not even an IP decal!) I'll probably have to scratchbuild pretty much everything in there. Time to get myself a contour profiler and a punch & die set, I guess.

By the way, do you have any detailed photos of the Foxbat's intake covers? I once came across a picture showing what looks like an RBF being dragged out of the sand in Iraq, intake ramps fully lowered, with a tiny red square cover sealing off the remaining gap inside the intake, and that's about it.

Edit: I found the picture

mig-25%20intake%20covers2.jpg

Edited by Musical_Box

This is nice. Unique subject and good work!

FYI, Neomega makes a resin cockpit for the Condor kit. I'm guessing it's for the PD. I don't know how well it will fit in this kit. They're out of England.

Scroll down to the bottom for 1/72.

http://www.neomega-resin.com/mig25.htm

For anybody in America who wants one:

http://www.lindenhillimports.com/neomega.htm

• 3 weeks later...

No news, joachim.

I might be able to get back to work on the Foxbat at the end of next week, some more scribing & riveting I guess. This won't be a quick build by any measure, I just hope to finish up the fuselage soon, so I can get cracking on the cockpits.