Doc's Gooney Bird

<_< Hahaha! Where did you get that pic Doc? That DC-3 is a couple of hours down the road from me! I past every time I go snowboarding.

Just of the schemes I was thinking of doing Dave....yeah right! :boohoo: For some reason I thought it lived in the US.

Cheers

Doc

Edited by Dr Fester
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi peeps,

Been a while since an update with the build and progress is slow.

I have installed all the wiring and electronics within the fuselage and closed it up. Foiled the whole of underside and added rivets so that can be left alone until the finer details are added later.

Spent this week foiling the inboard wings and made a start adding the rivet detail, some recessed and some raised.

port_inboard.jpg

port_inboard1.jpg

Some real compound curves to ease the foil around but not too bad, when this is complete I can make a start adding the resin engines and incorporating the motors!

More soon.

Doc

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
How much stretch does the alum. tape have in it?

Sorry for not replying until now, been busy at work. To answer your question the foil is surprisingly forgiving and I find burnishing with a q-tip working in small sections best. Also if you do make a mess of it you only have to remove the piece your working on and try again. Believe me that has happened MANY times!

Just working on installing the resin engines and finding the best way to connect motor to prop.

More soon

Doc :rofl:

Edited by Dr Fester
This one is looking AMAZING! Your foil work is something that just fits this bird so perfectly. I love the work you put into the wheel wells. It looks stunning good Sir, simply stunning!

Many thanks Kostucha, appreciate your comments.

A little progress with the motors now, been scratching my head about the installation but think I have a solution now.

Dak56.jpg

The motors supplied by Dynamic in the kit are tiny with an 8mm diameter, difficulty is drilling out an opening in the resin engine for the motor to sit. Well difficult if you have no access to a machining lathe to true everything up!

Anyhow I took the plunge and with a small drill bit first drilled right through from the front of the engine as true as possible with a hand drill. Then progressively opened out the hole from the back until I have a nice snug fit for the motor.

Dak57.jpg

Dak58.jpg

Although I did break through the front of the crankcase by drilling too deep but patched up now. Also I have inserted a small section of brass tube as a bearing, a narrower brass tube will be fixing the motor to prop.

Dak59.jpg

Dak60.jpg

Using epoxy glue throughout on the engines as fumes from cyano can seize the motor. Just got produce another of these for the starboard engine and once this all together I can start detailing the engine.

All the best

Doc

Hi there, Doc! :woot.gif:

Yer foilin' work is real flawless! I'm about to commence foilin' my Monogram 1/48 B-29 Kee-Bird, for which I wish I had the Dynamic Scale Modellin' kit. :rolleyes:

The motors supplied by Dynamic in the kit are tiny with an 8mm diameter

Say, Doc; doesn't the DSM kit bring a gadget to aid in drillin' through the engines to align the motor 'n' the propeller shaft?

Cheers, mate!

Say, Doc; doesn't the DSM kit bring a gadget to aid in drillin' through the engines to align the motor 'n' the propeller shaft?

Cheers, mate!

Only wish it did Unc! No jig found in my kit so I had to take a deep breath and drill by hand. Remember to post some pics of your Superfort.

Both motors now mounted in the engines and just making the shafts for mounting to the props, with any luck I should get some spinning props soon. :woot.gif:

Cheers

Doc

Thx mate, here is a little update for you.

Made a start detailing the engines and painting, base silver then a black oil wash for the cylinders. The rear crankcase painted sky grey and the front the very striking blue for this bird. Various bits and bobs still to add to the engine before installation.

Dak61.jpg

Although far from ready I couldn't wait to check the motors and wiring still worked before getting too far assembling them. So using wire, glue, tubing, tape and anything else I could find I quickly cobbled the port engine together and fired her up.

Prop is spinning way off centre but you get the gist, also you can see the flashing red strobe on the tail. Prop should run true when I make a solid prop shaft connecting to the prop.

More soon

Doc

Edited by Dr Fester