Tamiya 1/72 P-47D Razorback

I've just started the 1/72 Razorback from Tamiya which I'm planning on doing in Klibbe's 56th FG markings of Little Chief/Anderson Indian markings from Eagle Strike. This P-47 will be my 17th P-47 and my 7th 1/72 Tamiya P-47 and will be a relative quick build (for me anyway ;) ).

1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

So I need to try and catch up with some people on here, otherwise I'm not going to get much finished by June, just trying to finish a Tamiya Mosquio at the moment aswell.

Anyway here's a shot of most of my P-47 references, yes I take my P-47's seriously!

P47booksW.jpg

The canopy is going to be closed on this one, so only a couple of simple improvements, on the right sidewall the radio has been modified to the correct type and on the left the trim wheels have been added. The front of the engine has had the Turtleback mags removed as they are incorrect for a D-15 and some plastic rod has been used for the correct distributors - not completely accurate but you can only see the front when the engine is installed. The intake/oil cooler splitters have had some of that strange 'curl' from the front edge removed, don't know where Tamiya got that one from!

DSCF6631W.jpg

The oil cooler flaps and deflectors have been removed ready for plastic scratchbuilt ones.The DDG bits have all been painted Humbrol 88 and the YZC bits all painted with Humbrol 24 with a little 150 added. The landing light was painted Humbrol gloss black and then Alclad Chrome - The gear door actutors were also done at the same time.

DSCF6632E.jpg

Great Start.

Can I ask you what green are you using for the cockpit?

Hope to speed my project during this weekend... wife and daughter on a day trip... I'll be alone at home sitting in front of my table.

Ciao

Humbrol 88 is what I use, it's a little light but after a dark wash it doesn't look too bad.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
What are you going to do with the Hun Hunter from Texas decals? *nudge wink* :doh:

Sorry I only just checked back on this thread and saw your post. In answer to your question, if you look carefully at the picture I posted of the decal sheet I have already used the Hun Hunter decals, sorry!

• 1 month later...

It's been a bit slow on this build, didn't really do any model in February, March and April so trying to get this one finished now.

So fuselage together and wings and tail on.

DSCF6655EW.jpg

Engine finished.

DSCF6661EW.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
Very nice. What gloss and flats do you use?

The gloss is Vallejo Model Air hand brushed on, I use this gloss because it does not yellow at all when it dries unlike a lot of acrylic varnishes. The matt coat is Humbrol Matt Cote.