Israeli F-15 Baz questions????

Dave's response is more than accurate.

Anyway, the Improved Baz photografed in the Israbook walkaround show a metallic blue-green bay with the various avionic box in gray,black and some in a buff color.

Cheers,Gianni

I m starting my BAz build soon, well right after my Aggressor Scooter. But currently i m shopping for the list of stuff to get for the project.

Here are what I ve source and procured or yet too.

1) ISRADecal 1/48 BAz Decal

2) Academy MSIP II xMSIP II

3) Resin Seat ACES II Seats

4) Phyton from SkunkWorks, IAF weapons set.

5) Hasegawa Weapons Set B

Can you guys comment on what else i need or to omit?

I would say the Wolfpack ELTA ECM pod and A-4 style missle rails, IAF do not use LAU- style.

I'd like to see those Black cockpits myself.

Are you sure your not confusing them with the "F-15I".

If they were repainted with the "Improved Baz" upgrade when did this start, now we again need to research a time frame for upgrades/changes as with allot of IDF equipment.

What portions of the cockpit were painted? as Black is an overall generalization, as with the F-16 they were not painted overall black (nor are all F-16 pits Black).

Also information was given for Bay 5, this refers to a "C" model, now were the "C"s also upgraded? do they they have the repainted pits?

Curt

Wow, its getting more complicated now. I could install a rear seat to cover the avionics bay up, but it ll still not be an improved BAz cos i ll be short of CFT. I bought an Academy F-15C/D not an E. So no CFT.

Curt I sent you the pics: as you will see I have not confused the cockpit of Ra'am with that of a Improved Baz.

The Israeli AUP programe started during 1995 and covered the entire active A/B/C/D fleet with the exception of the first four FSD airframes.

The improvement comprise Elbit System's color MFDs and Helmet Mounted Sight ( related to the Python 4/5 ), an F-15I-type HOTAS grip on both cockpit, the replacement of the central and weapons computers, integration of the AMRAAM, a GPS and data link systems and a new air conditioning system for the augmented requiroment of cooling air by the new avionics.

Curt you are right about the F-16s: the tub is in a medium gray shade for both the Sufa and the Barak;also only the Block 40 Barak cockpits are painted black in order to assist the pilots in using the NVGs;the Block 30's are medium gray.

Unfortunately I do not know what color is the cockpit of the Netz because I have not found anywhere the Israbook's monograph ( idem for the Ahyt's <_< )

:P Gianni

Wow, its getting more complicated now. I could install a rear seat to cover the avionics bay up, but it ll still not be an improved BAz cos i ll be short of CFT. I bought an Academy F-15C/D not an E. So no CFT.

Eri,

Don't worry about this:the CFTs aren't always installed on the airframes

Gianni

Thanks for the photo's Gianni, sure are black. I know the 16's better than the F-15.

The "Netz" would have the standard USAF Grey interior.

quote name='Eri' date='Apr 16 2011, 09:57 AM' post='2188295']

What are you building the "C" or "D"?, you can't throw a seat in the avionics bay of a "C" and call it a "D" different configurations.

The 2 seat versions replaced the area where the avionics bay resides with a rear cockpit tub, and a different canopy to accommodate the rear seat and wso.

I don't think the CFT's were a mandatory feature of the upgrade.

Curt

Edited by Netz
Dave's response is more than accurate.

Anyway, the Improved Baz photografed in the Israbook walkaround show a metallic blue-green bay with the various avionic box in gray,black and some in a buff color.

Cheers,Gianni

A models and early -Cs came in the metallic green. Later -Cs came in white. Israel had -As and -Cs, so I suspect that Bay 5 was left in whatever color it came in, green or white. I think the one in the book happened to be one of the green ones.

Keep in mind that IDF F-15s (like every other export a/c) will not have the five big boxes along the LH side of the bay behind the cockpit. Those are the internal ECM system that goes with the big fat pod on the LH tail, only seen on US a/c. The ECM system has not been exported. The Israelis have developed their own system.

Thanks for the photo's Gianni, sure are black. I know the 16's better than the F-15.

The "Netz" would have the standard USAF Grey interior.

quote name='Eri' date='Apr 16 2011, 09:57 AM' post='2188295']

What are you building the "C" or "D"?, you can't throw a seat in the avionics bay of a "C" and call it a "D" different configurations.

The 2 seat versions replaced the area where the avionics bay resides with a rear cockpit tub, and a different canopy to accommodate the rear seat and wso.

I don't think the CFT's were a mandatory feature of the upgrade.

Curt

Netz,

The kits came with a 2 seat configuration. With canopies and extra tub with seats. Though i bought resin seats, comes in 2.

• 1 month later...

I ordered the book! I cant believe it, i spend more on the book than the model and parts!

I ve decided on aircraft number 979 with 3 mig kills

Edited by Eri
  • 3 years later...

I've got the book mentioned. It's pretty good, but it only glosses over some points. I do 1/32 kits because my arthritic hands don't do small parts that well I've got a two model setup I'm preparing to get a modern IAF fleet. I have the 1/32 Academy 1/32 Sufa. It is exquisite. I'm really going to try and not over do it. As a retired USAF flier, I find that the panel lines, screws and rivets are way over scale, and the Sufa is one of them that is notorious for being over done. The lines on these kits are not to scale. Were they true to scale, one would just barely see them. The lines on the kits as they come equate to panel gaps of 1 inch or more and that's absurd. I won't do it.

Now, back to F-15s. I'm converting a 1/32 F-15C Tamiya ( TAMIYA 60304 1/32 McDonnell Douglas F-15C Eagle) to Baz, but even with the book, it's going to be a bit difficult. The book mentions that several Baz were converted to reconnaissance (recce). They did this by removing the cannon and fairing over the gun port and using that vacated space as a good place to put the new gear. But that's where it ends. There's a 1/32 Ophir recce pod (http://store.spruebrothers.com/product_p/isc32031.htm) that's shown on a photo hanging from the center stores station, but that's the extent of it. There is a 1/32 set of Fast Pack or CFT (conformal fuel tanks) available for 1/32. It's vacuform part. (Some of you may call it thermoform. fast packs I've purchased the Aires cockpit kit for the model and it is really detailed. It will look great. I've got a couple sets of Rafael Python 3 missile sets and am going to get a set of Python 4 for it. I'd like to find a set of spice bombs for it, if only to display to the side on the "ground". Also got the Aces II seat, the Isracast Imroved Baz conversion kit, and some one piece intake assemblies. The big problem at the moment in finding stuff is that I cannot locate the decals for it. Isracast made a set for it, but they're next to impossible to find. Should one of you be able to locate them, please PM me with the source.

The Ra'am, the Israeli version of a Strike Eagle, is the next one. That will go in a new post.

Just a quick note on the missile launchers. I believe the IDF uses the USN LAU-7 rails, which are fitted with a nitrogen bottle for cooling IR seekers (early USAF F-15s used the LAU-114, which lacked this feature, using internal missile cooling instead). The later AMRAAM-capable rails that have been mentioned are LAU-128s (F-15) and LAU-129s (F-16). In short, they're all LAUs.

• 6 years later...

Hi guys, going to resurrect this topic. Regarding the Popeye missiles, is 106 squadron the only Baz unit to employ the weapon? Have only seen pictures of the Popeye on that squadron's aircraft. Does 133 squadron's B/D aircraft employ the Popeye too?