New Years' Resolution physical fitness thread

[/indent]Best advice I can give you? Just keep on keeping on. Don't focus on the actual weight or BMI. Focus on how you feel, how your clothes fit, and your energy level. Also focus on whatever might be your personal Achilles' heel. For me, working at night, it's eating after 3AM. When I'm at work, I try to limit my meals to an apple and a cup of soup before 3:00, and then I don't eat again until I get out of bed in the early afternoon. Also, as Bob said, I drink a lot of water; I usually try to drink a gallon a day. Seems like a lot, but it's not that hard if you keep a 32 oz water bottle with you. I generally go through a quart at the gym alone.

That's my strategy. Losing the first fifty pounds was pretty straightforward; I knew when I got down around 200, weight loss would slow down. My concern with the BMI chart is that in order to reach the magical number (I think it's in the upper 170s), I'd likely need to trim even more calories out of my diet, which is right now averaging around 2000 a day (I don't measure everything precisely, but I took measurements of my basic meals a while back, and generally fall in a range close to that). I think such trimming is neither safe nor sane--hunger can make one homicidal. :coolio:

So the plan is to concentrate on lean muscle mass. Not bulk, as I'm generally on the large side as it is, but instead lean muscle mass aimed at endurance. Different websites tend to offer differing advice on that, although all generally agree it's lower weight and higher repetition than those looking at bodybuilding competition. If I lose more weight, this should happen a great deal more slowly, as added lean muscle replaces body fat. I'm also moving toward things like push-ups, instead of weights, if only because the weather's getting nice and I like to exercise outside!

Even still, at the end of it all, whenever that is, I doubt I'll reach the BMI chart. If I do, it will be a very roundabout route, and for now I'm not paying much attention to the scale anymore. :touche:

I drink a ton of water. I stepped things up at the beginning of the year, but this project might have technically started when I ceased drinking sugar soft drinks last year. I figure another big advantage for me has been that I've never liked adding cream or sugar to coffee.

Edited by Fishwelding
- don't eat fruit in the AM, eat it at night. It drives your appetite due to the sugars

- don't eat bananas ever, I don't know why but she said they're bad bad bad...

- limit your carb intake to 50grams a day (not hard actually, lots of good food out there that fit the bill)

- drink lots of water

- eat anything else you want; just follow those basic rules

After a month, I lost 22lbs; after another mont I lost another 10. I've kept it off for over a year and have gotten as light as 156 and as heavy as 165. Now if I can only get to the point where I can dunk with one hand and grab the rim with two, I'd be golden!

Those are the most sensible diet guidelines I've seen in a while. Not to complex and all very doable with next to no effort.

I'll agree with bananas. There's not a thing to like about them. The taste, the smell, the texture......They're monkey food and the monkeys can keep them. As for the potasium they provide, there's plenty of better sources of that out there; avacodos have four times as much as bananas do on average. So, buy some plain tortilla chips, whip up a batch of guacamole and enjoy getting healthy.

Bananas and their supposed potassium boost are like oranges and vitamin C. You'll get more vitamin C from a glass of cranberry juice than you will from oranges and you'll be doing your kidneys and bladder a favour at the same time as cranberries have stuff in them that helps to prevent kidney and bladder stones.

Not long ago I went for my first physical exam in about a year and a half. When the doctor compared my last weight to my current weight, I was down from 98 kilos a year and a half ago to 83 kilos now.

I don't really have a secret at all. I haven't changed what I eat only how much of it. I get in a reasonable amount of physical activity at my job and I'm busier this year than in the previous two. I also am working in regular excercise at home in what spare time I have.

I think losing weight is like kicking addictions. Other people can try to drive you to do it, but nothing serious or lasting is going to happen until you personally have a serious enough problem with the issue to say "This will not do, it's not acceptable to me, something must change" Put yourself in the driver's seat of the changes and keep yourself there for the duration and the changes will happen.

• 1 month later...

Diet soft drinks are a funny thing. I'm reading more and more where healthcare studies seem to suggest that they they make you hungry for sweets, which threatens weight gain. So drinking them might not be a good health thing. I admit, I do find that to drink one can seemingly has me wanting another can, and then I get hungry quicker. And the same logic must also work for fruit, per what Bob's dietitian told him. But the effect isn't always consistent, I find.

On the other hand, it's truly amazing what unbuttered microwave popcorn can do. I eat whole bags of the stuff. The trouble is finding it; there's only a single box on my food store shelves, and although it's cheap, it's sold under the "organic" label. Now I don't pay any attention at all to the organic business/movement/fad, and it does bother me that at this point that the major manufacturers seemingly can't sell enough of the unbuttered stuff to even bother with it.

OK it's time for this fatso to chime in as well.

I got on this 'bandwagon' about 3 months ago, I don't see as rapid a change as most of you tho, for the last 2 months that I have been exercising, I have only dropped 20 lbs... I am at the gym 6 nights a week, and run treadmill, run eliptical, and do strength training.

I did completely change my diet, and it is working a charm, but the weight seems to resist the drop. It comes off but slow, slow, slow...

The things I have been doing differently is no more fast foods (indulge a medium pizza once in a while (every 60 days or so) to share with the wife, but other than that we have been good. Lots of veggies, lean protein and water water water.

Even slowed the beer down to none for a while, we'll see how that works.

I won't say start weight, cause it's only embarrasing, but the goal is less than 180 lbs, so I have a fair bit of a way to go. I WILL meet my goal...

Anyways, hard work and effort gives results!

So a typical day in the gym for me is 5k on the treadmill, weights and then 1000m in the pool. this makes my evening in the gym long, but it is enjoyable and fairly social (except the running), and gives me about 2 hours of effective training.

Cheers

H.

OK it's time for this fatso to chime in as well.

I got on this 'bandwagon' about 3 months ago, I don't see as rapid a change as most of you tho, for the last 2 months that I have been exercising, I have only dropped 20 lbs... I am at the gym 6 nights a week, and run treadmill, run eliptical, and do strength training.

20lbs in two months is as fast--maybe too fast, in the long run--as you'd ever want to lose weight. For now, you might have experienced a quick loss as that often happens when the health-kick begins. But if your weight loss slows down, don't be discouraged. Frankly, if you maintain a 10lb-a-month loss, you're probably pushing too hard and will likely suffer signs of overtraining.

See, I've learned where the health care profession, nutritionists, and those trying to make us all skinnier have probably laid it on a little too thick, because the majority of the population is indifferent; the experts didn't really think we'd suddenly get off the couch and do it all at once. The problem with this is that people lose a ton of weight and then gain it all back, or worse, injure themselves or burn out before they really lose a lot, and then give up. My doctor actually told me to slow down, after he saw how quickly I'd lost weight, which to me was an important moment.

I think frankly the emphasis should be on getting people to realize that if they want to remain healthier in the long-haul, there's really no going back to the way they lived before. If one leads a sedentary work and home existence, exercise is pretty much required for the rest of one's life. Higher calorie eating simply cannot return.

If you show signs of exhaustion, serious aches and pains, or even just trouble sleeping, slow the exercise down a bit. Be careful to maintain proper form in weight training, because lifting too much is counterproductive. If ever I sense myself slipping into the revolving door of adding too much weight too fast, and suffering serious aches, I take two or three days off from resistance training, and then do calesthenics a few days afther that (today I cranked out a ton of push-ups, for example, instead of hitting the presses). This gets me back on course, and clears the stupid out of my head.

Edited by Fishwelding

During my year of unemployment my weight ballooned to 231 pounds. This meant that I am some 55 pounds 'overweight'. I needed to do something and I did. Since joining the weightwatchers I have taken off 21 pounds in 3.5 months. It has to do with portion control and learning how to eat properly. I am rarely hungry and I typically take off 1-2 pounds per week. I am so impressed by how well this has been working for me. I really hope to get to 55 pounds by the end of the year.

20lbs in two months is as fast--maybe too fast, in the long run--as you'd ever want to lose weight. For now, you might have experienced a quick loss as that often happens when the health-kick begins. But if your weight loss slows down, don't be discouraged. Frankly, if you maintain a 10lb-a-month loss, you're probably pushing too hard and will likely suffer signs of overtraining.

See, I've learned where the health care profession, nutritionists, and those trying to make us all skinnier have probably laid it on a little too thick, because the majority of the population is indifferent; the experts didn't really think we'd suddenly get off the couch and do it all at once. The problem with this is that people lose a ton of weight and then gain it all back, or worse, injure themselves or burn out before they really lose a lot, and then give up. My doctor actually told me to slow down, after he saw how quickly I'd lost weight, which to me was an important moment.

I think frankly the emphasis should be on getting people to realize that if they want to remain healthier in the long-haul, there's really no going back to the way they lived before. If one leads a sedentary work and home existence, exercise is pretty much required for the rest of one's life. Higher calorie eating simply cannot return.

If you show signs of exhaustion, serious aches and pains, or even just trouble sleeping, slow the exercise down a bit. Be careful to maintain proper form in weight training, because lifting too much is counterproductive. If ever I sense myself slipping into the revolving door of adding too much weight too fast, and suffering serious aches, I take two or three days off from resistance training, and then do calesthenics a few days afther that (today I cranked out a ton of push-ups, for example, instead of hitting the presses). This gets me back on course, and clears the stupid out of my head.

I know all about the speed, and in our program (me and the other half/swmbo) we have days out with complete rest, although I want to go crazy with it (like Biggest loser), but don't have the time to do 6 hours of exercise a day.

My biggest problem is that as soon as I am done, I always have the feeling that I should have gone for 3 minutes extra, done one exrtra set or swam another 100M, and it makes me feel a tad bad. However I am not blind to the achievements either! For instance, last week I did a 5 K run, not a stellar pace, but still, 5 mph. and I'm still hauling around a lot of poundage!

The exrx page did give me a few additional pointers tho, and I'm on the track.

As far as form, no worries, got a Personal Trainer for 13 weeks (once a week) so that is a great help.

Cheers

H.

• 2 weeks later...

These are awesome. Of course, it's Pepperidge farm, so it's like the Apple Computer Company of bread, and corresponding expensive. But have a package or two of these around, for days when you simply can't pack the healthy lunch before work or travel, and grab some of these, possibly with a slab of pre-grilled chicken or even lowfat cheese. Low calorie, and I find very filling. Plus, a pair of these sandwiches wrapped in plastic wrap take up no room at all in a case or computer bag, and unlike crackers, are pliable enough to take a beating. It's vaguely reminiscent of the simple flat-breads of armies past, but reasonably tasty and won't break your teeth.

No sugar added ice-cream. Check some brands out. A cup of vanilla can be as low as around 200 calories. Not bad, especially if you immerse the same in diet root beer!

Edited by Fishwelding
  • 2 weeks later...

"CrossFit Endurance was created with the belief that you have taken the time to learn the skill of your sport. If you have not, you have no business here, or competing in this sport."

Uh...wow. Sort of hearing the Panzerlied playing in the background. Although I need to heed their recovery insistence. I'm beginning to show serious symptoms of overtraining, myself. I tried a series of new exercises a few nights ago, overdid it, beat myself into a wreck, and had no business at the gym tonight.

But I went anyway, and could likely be a cripple tomorrow.

Edited by Fishwelding

Just did an evaluation yesterday, and the verdict is in:

total loss (in 12 weeks) 30 lbs...

But for the last 8, since I've had a real gym, has been 15 lbs down, 10% body fat down, increase VO2 Max by about 7%, lean body mass is now about 180 lbs (which incidentally is my goalweight), so, there is room for more improvement, but let me tells ya, there has been some!

(Lean body mass increase of 30 lbs in 8 weeks, with decrease of fat about 45 lbs... not too shappy for a FAT SOB?)

Cheers

H.

• 4 weeks later...

ok, so now standing at roughly 40 lbs down in pure weight.

Still need some help, and if you vote here, I can get it!

VOTE FOR ME!

Takes a couple of minutes to register, but you can vote once a day until the 31st at midnight

So pretty please with a cherry on top, can you vote??

• 2 weeks later...

Navy Seal Nutrition Guide

Navy Seal Fitness Guide

There. Now you weak-kneed, chubby-fingered, soft-bellied model builders have no %*$* excuse for why you can't %$*&$#(# destroy the next %&$* who teases you for building models.

Kidding aside (and yes, I was kidding with the above comment), is it just me or are the SEALs getting a bit commercialized? I heard about these manuals from an acquaintance, and sifted around for 'em on the web. Meanwhile, there's A TON on sale purporting to be "SEAL Fitness!!!" all over the place. And a few other self-help books, too, with the SEAL imprimatur, all purporting to be written by former Navy SEALs, distantly paralleling the "For Dummies" series in breadth and scope. How far might this go in future? "HOUSEHOLD REPAIR: A SEAL GUIDE!" and "SHOPPING FOR WINE: A U.S. NAVY SEAL TEACHES YOU TO PICK THE RIGHT VINTAGE!"

And perhaps the serving servicepersons on ARC can answer me this: why don't you people get in on this money-machine, too? I've yet to encounter the Time to Climb: The Fighter Pilot's Guide to Cardiovascular Exercise or Bugler! Sound Recall! An Armored Cavalryman's Guide to Great Barbecue, or The Signal Corps Guide to Windows 7 or A Destroyer Dream Wedding: The Crew of the U.S.S. John Paul Jones (DDG-53) Helps You Plan Your Perfect Day! Listen, people, cash in while you can. Nobody remains the trusted authority on anything for very long, in America.

Edited by Fishwelding
Quick question.

What is everyone using for a post workout recovery drink?

Right now, a ton of water. Typically a half-gallon before eating, followed by 1 or 2 quarts more while/after eating. I'm vaguely considering some sort of sports drink, but I'm skeptical of those, particularly because of stuff I've read that really doesn't recommend these unless exercise clears 90 minutes. Water, followed by a meal of equal parts carbohydrate and lean protein, with a pickle or pretzels for salt replacement, and some fruit for sugar is my current post-workout regime.

Where I've been having trouble is that I am struck with intense dizziness, and fatigue after about 25 minutes of running. This is new; I do not know if it's a result of weight loss, but I haven't suffered this before. Further, if I thereafter do some weight training, and then return to cardio, it's cleared up entirely. I'm in the process of trying to learn what's going on.

I've been looking into recovery drinks. From what I've heard you should never work out for longer than an hour as it becomes counter productive after 60 minutes. A professional weightlifter told me this. And you should always take a Protein/Carb drink within 60 minutes after your workout. The mixture should be 4 parts carb to 1 part Protein. Serious Weightlifters spend money on the recovery drink powders you mix with water.....but for rest of us I have heard from more than one weightlifter that low fat chocolate milk is a great recovery drink as it contains the right mixture of protein/carbs and it is much cheaper than the recovery drink powders. The recovery drink helps the muscle rebuilding process......proteins to rebuild the muscle tissue and carbs to provide the energy to make it all happen. A recovery drink will help avoid the "next day stiffness" as well. Check out the label on low fat chocolate milk the next time you are in the grocery store and you will be pleasantly surprised by the carb to protein balance.

I'm no expert.....just something to consider.

I'm no expert.....just something to consider.

Well, the Navy SEALs nutrition guide agrees with you. And I generally feel it's a good idea, from a health and wellness standpoint, to be on their side of an argument.

Yea, okay, so I admit: after snickering above, I'm actually reading this SEAL nutrition book. It's actually quite good. Learning a lot.

Interesting, how they come out (mildly) in defense of the current DoD field rations sets. Not on taste, but on engineered content.

Quick question.

What is everyone using for a post workout recovery drink?

Gatorade G3 "Recovery" protein drink. Can't stand kiwi-strawberry, or the lime/orange or whatever flavor that is, but the mixed berry flavor is awesome. I'm not sure if, for it to work properly, you have to use the G1 pre-workout drink (which I don't think I'd care for, as I've heard it's similar to drinking a jar of jam) and the G2 during workout (which I won't go near, because if I drink anything other than water while I'm working out, I get nauseated...don't know why :)), but ever since I tried the G3, I've been addicted to it.

Reaching new highs on pull-ups, but wow, no other resistance exercise causes so much discomfort. I get a nerve sensation that feels exactly like the few times in my life when I did a clumsy thing that got me electrocuted by household current. By contrast, I can do push-ups to fail without complaint, and sit-ups seem downright tedious.

Have I seen that the U.S. Air Force has abandoned sit-ups for crunches? Is there a stated reason why?

Water.

You might want to consider a post workout recovery drink....instead of jsut water.....doesn't have to be anything fancy or expensive......chocolate milk works very well.....but it is good to feed your muslcle the protien and carbs to help with your post workout recovery. Water is great during the workout to keep hydrated.

I started the P90X workout program a few days ago. I must confess I had my doubts before I ordered it.....but it is a very good product and the DVD's are very well done. It is fast paced and quite challenging....to say the least. It includes a diet plan which I'm trying to adopt.