New Years' Resolution physical fitness thread

Congratulations to you on the PFA, and the wife on a treadmill. Just to put in a testimonial for your elliptical: if anyone wants to lose weight, that fiendish torture device is the way to go. I think it took 70 of the 100lbs off me. I don't need one myself, because currently I'm headed in the other direction: trying to gain strength and weight.

Squat numbers are doubled since Christmas. It's insane. It's now also my favorite exercise.

Squat seems to have a really neat synergestic effect - seems the growth hormone response with such a large muscle group carries over to other body parts too.

For a time there, running was really bothering my knees, hips and back. So I quit entirely and switched to the swim, that's when I got the treadmill just for some extra calorie burning at home. I'm back to running, but since I swim for my testing I don't have to run as HARD (also I'm presumably in somewhat better overall shape) so I don't have the same problems, so I can handle running again.

The bride seems to have a hangup about going to a gym - now that we have a treadmill she ASSURES me the Wii fit she has, the Zumba DVDs and Jillian Michaels DVDs she has will also see more use - we shall see!

Squat seems to have a really neat synergestic effect - seems the growth hormone response with such a large muscle group carries over to other body parts too.

For a time there, running was really bothering my knees, hips and back. So I quit entirely and switched to the swim, that's when I got the treadmill just for some extra calorie burning at home. I'm back to running, but since I swim for my testing I don't have to run as HARD (also I'm presumably in somewhat better overall shape) so I don't have the same problems, so I can handle running again.

The bride seems to have a hangup about going to a gym - now that we have a treadmill she ASSURES me the Wii fit she has, the Zumba DVDs and Jillian Michaels DVDs she has will also see more use - we shall see!

Yea, I've had to trim my running down after I started getting quiet but firm "Warning: effort and shock tolerances exceeded" messages from my knees. They'll do squats and deadlifts without complaint, provided I don't cram too much steel on the bar too quickly, or I don't then go galloping around the track afterward.

I'm starting to notice pay-off on core strength--and hence lower back tolerance--with static, elevated-feet planks versus the usual crop of crunches. I got this from Shuler and Cosgrove's New Rules of Lifting for Abs, which Shuler frankly declared on a podcast interview was only "for abs" because the publisher insisted that will sell copies. It's really about core strength for useful stuff(including further strength development overall).

I get the gym fear thing, though. I see new members even at my hilariously-suburban "community rec center" gym tiptoe around the place wincing, because there's alway some tool-master with the internet-purchased "West Side Barbell" shirt who's making way too much show of curling, with the needless grunts and dropping of weights. Or he's making purposeful show of ogling women. Or talking up (to no one in particular) how he's "working back up to my playing strength again. Man, I was ripped before I tore a blah-blah muscle...." Opposite him is the woman who contorts her 67 pounds into a bizarre collection of "Yoga" stances before running three hours on the treadmill. She, of course, has had for breakfast one stalk of celery dipped in non-fat yogurt. Lunch will consist of wishful thinking and weak tea, while dinner will be a sumptuous feast of watered orange juice and six fava beans. For ordinary, well-adjusted people of predictably various shapes and sizes, these people really don't help the "get-serious-about-fitness" attempt.

• 2 weeks later...

After several months of real progress, gains at the squat rack starting to slow. That's understandable; nothing works forever. Although I'm really happy with the gains; my strength, speed, and agility have really improved. I'll have to experiment with lunges, perhaps. Meanwhile, arm numbers are starting up again now that I switched from barbell bench press to dumbbell bench press, with a mild butterfly pattern (that is, not full arm extension on either side).

• 2 weeks later...

War against the bodybuilders, muscle-heads, and steel-slingers? A business strategy?.

Really, they outlaw deadlifts? And such harsh words for trainers!

Fascinating business strategy; openly cultivating adversarial resentment to sell a gym experience. I've made my guffaws here about guys who take to theatrical displays and (often somewhat unwarranted) exhibitionism at the gym (see just two posts up, in fact), and I'm far from a real bodybuilder or power-lifter. My "gym" is a community rec-center, that increasingly I'm finding I'm outgrowing. But something about this does have me siding with the lunkheads, here. At least, those lunkheads who haven't strutted around gyms like King Kong and made themselves generally contemptible to everyone else. And that's quite a few lunkheads, both men and women who seriously exercise, even with weights. I've met some serious muscle enthusiasts who have been very, very helpful for us ordinary lot.

Dodgeball had a good point; high-pressure gyms fueled by shallow, judgmental jerkishness. "Average Joe's" gym was one we all could root for. But to build an entire business on resentment of a social group? Meh. They're a trend, not lasting financial value. No, I'm not ready to call out the National Guard to enforce the rights of serious weight lifters, but then again, Planet Fitness will never be, to me, more than a waste of retail storefront.

Edited by Fishwelding
  • 4 weeks later...

To our European friends--be careful about those vegetables!

They say the source of the e - coli is or are BEAN SPROUTS.... quite a scary thought knowing lots have died already .. :crying2:

Thanks for the concern Fish.... :thumbsup:

• 2 months later...

Recently, I began training for a half-marathon (in Vegas this December). I've spent the summer months doing a lot of roller-blading and jogging - along with continued strength workouts. My best friend (and trainer) and I are going to run it together. It'll be a stroll in the park for him, but he's excited to run with me in my first ever marathon experience. I don't plan to become a runner or anything - as I only want to do this just to say I did it. I'm still more committed to playing hockey, and building up some muscle - while shedding more body fat. Hard to believe that in 19 months I've dropped over 120 pounds, and turned my body into a total machine. It's become such a part of my life and lifestyle now, that going back to the old me is just not an option. At 41 years old, I'm in the best shape of my entire life.

Recently, I began training for a half-marathon (in Vegas this December). I've spent the summer months doing a lot of roller-blading and jogging - along with continued strength workouts. My best friend (and trainer) and I are going to run it together. It'll be a stroll in the park for him, but he's excited to run with me in my first ever marathon experience. I don't plan to become a runner or anything - as I only want to do this just to say I did it. I'm still more committed to playing hockey, and building up some muscle - while shedding more body fat. Hard to believe that in 19 months I've dropped over 120 pounds, and turned my body into a total machine. It's become such a part of my life and lifestyle now, that going back to the old me is just not an option. At 41 years old, I'm in the best shape of my entire life.

Tilt ,

That is SPLENDID turnabout from you..Keep it up.....aand best of luck with the Half marathon....

Good to see that you are preparing and training for it that rather than just going in blindly....

GOOD LUCK... :salute:

HOLMES

Tilt ,

That is SPLENDID turnabout from you..Keep it up.....aand best of luck with the Half marathon....

Good to see that you are preparing and training for it that rather than just going in blindly....

GOOD LUCK... :salute:

HOLMES

Thanks Holmes. Yeah, my buddy believes in proper preping (as do I). So I may actually do better than just completing the 21K.

• 4 months later...

Fair enough. This year, on top of the regular lifting and swimming, and biking to work when the weather makes it not completely miserable, I've already got 2 half marathons and and a 12K penciled in on the calendar. Boom.

Did a long-needed overhaul on my workout over the holiday. Got some new exercises in, to get rid of stuff I've been doing for too long now. Going to transition away from the classics of weightlifting toward some balance and core-building stuff: single-hand suitcase deadlifts, "T" push-ups, etc.

Went for an hour run in the serious cold yesterday. Well, I'll have to be careful with that. I'm good about dressing warmly, but I'll need to pay a little more attention to stretching, if today's colossal aching is any indication.

Well I guess it's a good thing that it doesn't get too terribly cold here. But truth be told I do a fair proportion of my running on a treadmill - at home, we have a Nordic Track incline trainer (you can even have Jillian Michaels yell at you which is kind of arousing but I digress); it has a bit of flex to its deck so it spares my legs a bit of the impact as I ease back into it and gradully nudge up the mileage. Besides, I can watch TV which is cooler than watching the white line of the road side...

As I get closer to the race I'll get back outside onto hills and pavement.

• 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ran a 5k on the first, was back in the weightroom the 2nd (lift Monday/Wednesday/Friday), swam 2,500m last Thursday.

This weekend, it's the same for lifting and swimming, plus after taking most of December off from running after 5 Half Marathons in 2012, I'm back at it training for the first Half Marathon on 17 February. 3 miles Monday, 2 miles Tuesday (both at a relaxed pace), 4 mile tempo run yesterday w/ a mile warm up and mile cool-down for 6 total. 2 miles relaxed today, then Saturday 13 miles. Boom!

Ran a 5k on the first, was back in the weightroom the 2nd (lift Monday/Wednesday/Friday), swam 2,500m last Thursday.

This weekend, it's the same for lifting and swimming, plus after taking most of December off from running after 5 Half Marathons in 2012, I'm back at it training for the first Half Marathon on 17 February. 3 miles Monday, 2 miles Tuesday (both at a relaxed pace), 4 mile tempo run yesterday w/ a mile warm up and mile cool-down for 6 total. 2 miles relaxed today, then Saturday 13 miles. Boom!

:smiley-char029:

:smiley-whacky084: