Guys I'm looking for colours of USN AIM-7's, 9's and 54&#3

From the overall Light Gull Grey period.

I was thinking that the missiles were the same as the Aircraft Light Gull Grey with White seeker heads on the AIM-7's and 54's, and with black fins and seeker heads on the AIM-9's.

The pics of the F-14's from this period that I have are shown with just the fuel tanks, and none of the weapons on show.

I need to know as I'm building "Fast Eagle 107" and "Fast Eagle 102" from the Gulf of Sidra incident of August 1981.

That was the period where U.S. air to air missiles were transitioning from gloss white to Light Compass Ghost Gray (FS #36375), which means the AIM-7 and AIM-9 missiles could be white, could be gray, or could be both; the AIM-54As would still be all white. Check here for pictures, and here for a discussion of the color change.

Regards,

Murph

Edited by Murph

Aim-9 seeker heads are not black, they are an anodized green, the green can differ in shade but still green, the fins will be natural steel.

Curt

For scale effect burnt iron or some other off shoot of black would be correct. If you are doing 1/72 scale black would be fine, they only look greenish up close, step back a few yards and they look blackish the more you move away.

Reddog