Twilight to Dawn of the Tonka

Hey guys, Thanks for your comments on this thread.

I will do more photos, and hopfully one with the nine built at the end of this progect. The GR-4 now has a modern ESM pod - which is worth seeing

Q - to those in the know. In this, scaned, picture (which is the insparation for this build) the green of the camoflarge seams a little more 'brassy' or more 'brown' thgan later Tornados. Any explanation ?

Imageidsix.jpg

Bit more done. Here is the IDS cockpit done at ~60%.

I am trying the Navigators displays from scratch on this one, rather than modifiing the kit parts.

Imageidscpit.jpg

-anyway, I will have to shelf this kit for a while as i am back on Morning shift. More updates in a fortnight !

Edited by ixgr1
  • 3 weeks later...

G'day guys,

Slow proggress this week I'm afraid. This kit is univeraly accepted as a pig, and this one is just slow going.

anyways- here is my attempt at the thrust revercer 'buckets' (in the absence of the Hobby Boss kit). Also see the resin wing seals and tail root.

Imagecans.jpg

and a shot of the cockpit 'test fitted'

Imagecpit.jpg

and a progress photo at ~50%

Image60.jpg

-doubt if I'm gona make the deadline, but I'll still complete it here (not in it, to win it; just to have fun )

G'day guys,

Slow proggress this week I'm afraid. This kit is univeraly accepted as a pig, and this one is just slow going.

anyways- here is my attempt at the thrust revercer 'buckets' (in the absence of the Hobby Boss kit). Also see the resin wing seals and tail root.

Imagecans.jpg

and a shot of the cockpit 'test fitted'

Imagecpit.jpg

and a progress photo at ~50%

Image60.jpg

-doubt if I'm gona make the deadline, but I'll still complete it here (not in it, to win it; just to have fun )

You are making quite a job there, i built the same kit, an italeri gulf war tornado with RAF markings and a shark mouth last year but i didn´t encourage to make all the scratchbuilt in the wings like you did, anyways i´m sure you will feel completely pleased when you finish her, is a beatiful plane with the best tail. There is a Revell 1/32 somewhere hidden among all the kits waiting to be build in my house, i´m waiting to see this one finish, and the first one has really great decals, congratulations and thanks for what you wrote in my post, tomorrow will upload new pictures.

looks great, your doing well

just for info, the thrust revercer buckets, are only deployed for a fraction of a second and would not be open on a stationary aircraft unless they were undergoing maintainece, in fact i have only seen them open once ever (aircraft being checked after a minor birdstrike on the tail fin), i have no idea why hobbyboss added that bit?

please dont think im critisising im not, you are doing a cracking job

just for info, the thrust revercer buckets, are only deployed for a fraction of a second and would not be open on a stationary aircraft unless they were undergoing maintainece,

Thanks for the comments guys,

Yes I realise about the thrust revercers, I just whanted to do somthing a little different. I am trying to pose this aircraft with "everything hanging out" as IF it were just after touchdown. - Ok I'll have the canopy open............!!!!! -but you know were I'm going ?

-Bugger ! I've mislayed the windshield !..................Anybody aware of how an Airfix one will fitt ?

(24-6-10) -don't stress guys, found the windshield........but only after I had butchered and painted an Airfix one !

Edited by ixgr1

ok,

Here's the laying out of the control surfaces,

As you can see I am attempting the wing "spoilerons" (wing lift spoilers that are used for Pitch movment also) as well as the wing shoulder "Krugger" flaps.

Imageflapbits.jpg

The Airfix 1500lt tanks - seam odd with the Italeri kit ? defanate differance in quality.

I will not get this done on time !!!!! -as my Mother-in-law is visiting from Monday !!!!

hey,

Just done a test spray for the colours, on the 1500lt tanks

I'm going with Humbrol 125 as a basecoat........and I've tryed Humbrols 86 (which I think is ideal for a later camo), 159, and I have decided on 155 for the "green".

Please let me know if anyone has a better Idear.....

I think the Skyshadows are a dark green though ?

Here she is all masked up for the 'Green'-

I found H-155 I discovered was just WAY wrong.....so I have gone with the safe otion of H-86

Imagemask.jpg

-on the plus side I have recently got the Hobby boss kit (coutisy of everyone's friend and neigbour 'a4s4eva'). As this is the only Tonka I whant the thust revercers deployed on I am attempting some cross-grafting of these parts (its just a bit like a detailing set for the revercer buckets !)

--at last ....Paint !.....I still think the green colour is too light, but I am hoping the gloss/dull coat process will blend the camouflage more

Image1stpaint.jpg

- I have not gone with the Hobby Boss buckets, as the quality on them is too good to waste. Also the PE is set a mid point in closure ?????? - whatsup with that HB ? But I did use the mechanisam, that ordanarily is not seen, and is hard enough to see when fully exposed.

• 4 weeks later...
:unsure: good work.

I agree with Holmes ! :thumbsup:

I always liked that scheme on the Tornado ... It's a Classic ... :coolio:

I really like the thrust reversers engaged too ... :woo:

Gregg