Twilight to Dawn of the Tonka

Two Tornados.........

From the late Cold War we will have; a IX (9) sqn GR1 in euro camo, with 8000 lbs of raw iorn bombs

and from modern times we have a; 31 sqn edit: - now 2 sqn GR4 in anniversary colours, with Storm Shadows

-This is already to the cockpit stage

-Twilight to Dawn of the Tonka ? - well it is primarily a night bomber ?

Edited by ixgr1
Great Choice, :worship:

Looking forward to see more

:whistle:

/Bosse

Mmm...........thanks,

I was wondering if No2 sqn's 'Shiny Two' GR4 would be a better choice, with a IX(9) sqn IDS ? But I think there is more artistic impact with these two ?

-as always, comments and suggestion welcomed with open arms !

Edited by ixgr1
Mmm...........thanks,

I was wondering if No2 sqn's 'Shinny Two' GR4 would be a better choice, with a IX(9) sqn IDS ? But I think there is more artistic impact with these two ?

-as always, comments and suggestion welcomed with open arms !

What kit are you using?

The new HB or the older one (Italeri?)

I'm hoping to do a Saudi GR1 someday.

/Bosse

hey,

This is the Italeri kit started as the GR4. The HB Tornado not avalable in 'stralia yet ! and I have developed reservations against it - having seen the Britmodeler buildup ?

gr4-1.jpg

I have used the Airwaves GR4 update; but I have re-placed or not used 1/2 the cockpit, as it just dissapointed me (very flat). The resin for the FLIR blister is great though !

I re-worked the navigators station, to be somthing more than the 'Lego' style one that Italeri provide.

Started surgery for the flaps (LLLOts of plastic gone !) - but have decided to pose the GR4 in takeoff config'. I will save the Paragon set for the IX(9) sqn jet !

Marlin - my Saudi jet is slotted as No 9 in a build list of 12 Tornadoos

Edited by ixgr1

Yes the surgery was .........fun - but rewarding !

ok - from intence negotiations over on Britmodeler - the early Tornado will now be an IDS (no laser rangefinder) ! - cool (that what I wanted anyway)

Edited by ixgr1

- I have progressed..........

Here's an overview of the GR4 at about 30%. A little more work done on the flaps, not much will be seen as they are only at first stage.

GR40.jpg

My attempt at intake trunking. Just hiding the wing brace mechinisam with some electrical heat shrink.

Dont judge the ejection seats yet ! i have improved them now !

GR4duct.jpg

Note the raised splitter plate in the intake, for maximum airflow on takeoff.

• 2 weeks later...
I was wondering if No2 sqn's 'Shiny Two' GR4 would be a better choice,

I have had an appifany whilst talking with my cousin Andy!!

The GR4 will now be "Shiny Two" with Storm Shadow !!! This means I will re-model the Navigators 'pit For T.A.R.D.I.S and a simpler camoflarge.

1240352.jpg

(I'm not indecicive, just irratic !)

"model what you whant, how you whant, when you whant" - I should have thought this - in the first place !!!!

Q - Whould wing pylon mounted Alarms be appropriate for a Storm Shadow raid ?

- and has anyone got a decent picture of the new 'Boz' type outer wing pod ? edit: -oh it's a dummy one !!!

Edited by ixgr1

ok - back to modeling,

here is the re-vamp of the cockpit for TARDIS

gr440.jpg

-a bit of neatening up to do !!!!- and I have 'dressed up' the seats

More progress on the cockpit - a little more tidying to do

GR4cockpit.jpg

....and the laser rangefinder and FLIR blisters that differentiate the GR4 from other Tonrnados

GR4blisters.jpg

....still a bit rough, but proggress is on the way ?

I reckon the Italeri 1/48 Tornado IDS is a dog of a kit as I had heaps of issues with mine Steve. Budgie on ANZAC Modeller is doing the HB kit and it looks alright from what I have seen. I am happy with the way mine turned out OOB though in the end.

Regards

Andrew :crying2:

More work from last night

The semi-complete fuselarge, with the weapons and stores ready to go. Note the raised side blisters either side of the Pilot - anyone know what they are ?

I have replaced the finns on the Airfix Alarms with Plasticard sheet. As they were WWay to thick, and to my eye not the right shape.

I like the Stormshadows (Perminatly on loan from the Revell Typhoon), they are huge ! - and I thought the JP233's were big !

gr4wep50.jpg

I am relenting to having two Boz pods, one being modeled as a dummy - As I like the look, and its a bit different ?

boz107.jpg

and there are the modifications to the 'working' Boz 107 pod.

-might get some paint on tonight ?

Thanks for the comments guys,

Ian - yes I saw the huge lcd screen in a copy of AirForcesMonthly, and just had to put it in a model.....

well....here's the start of the painting

GR455.jpg

I like the way the ALARMS are working out !

.......More painting

gr465.jpg

and a teaser of her at 95%

gr4butshot.jpg

Well nightshift is over and that severly limits my modeling time !! Will finnish her off when i get back to afternoon shift !

.......More painting

gr465.jpg

and a teaser of her at 95%

gr4butshot.jpg

Well nightshift is over and that severly limits my modeling time !! Will finnish her off when i get back to afternoon shift !

nice work, what do you have left to do?

"Shiny Two - you are cleared for takeoff, runway two-eight"

Last few things done. R Tate - I had to dullcoat the radome and colour the dorsal nav' light

disspite the rough paintwork here - I like the way the ordinance looks with all the blended greys

gr4pt14.jpg

I was inspired by the angular modern art on this scheme

gr4stb.jpg

anyway this is my statement of modern "Iorn Dropping", done so with stand off missiles !

btw - spike7451, what colour is the undercarrage ?

hope you like

Edited by ixgr1
  • 3 months later...

Ok, been a while - but it's back on............

Here's the start of the IDS ix (9) sqn Tornado. With Paragons Flaps, Fin, and Exhausts. Also some fairly old Xtradecal decals that have supprisingly suvived until now !

Imageix1.jpg