1/48 Tamiya P-47D Razorback

Ok guys, been busy at work yesterday and this morning and got a lot done.

Here's the kit

P-47D002.jpg

And my reference material (if you can call it that)

P-47D001.jpg

I started off with the engine, it has great detail. I also tried my first wash, it was a mix of burnt umber and ivory black oils over future. I'm using MM acrylics throughout this build.

P-47D006.jpg

Not a great shot, but after the engine I assembled the cockpit. I used a burnt umber wash.

P-47D005.jpg

And last is where it sits now, waiting for the seat to be installed. I'm not sure what I'm going to do for seatbelts...

P-47D003.jpg

Aaron

Ok guys, quick update. I haven't had a lot of time lately, but did get the fuselage together.

P-47D1.jpg

Engine is finished, getting the cowling ready to roll.

P-47D2.jpg

And one more for good luck.

P-47D3.jpg

Aaron

Edited by jester292
Aaron,

Lookin good so far! I'm curious, (and I haven't looked at the engines in my kits yet), but are the engine magnetos the Corsair/Navy type and not the USAAF type?

Keep up the great work!

Jon

John, thanks for stopping by!

I have to be honest, I'm not sure what the difference is between the mags, but Tamiya gives you an option of what appears to be (to me) an early style and a later style, so I chose the round early style. Hope that helps.

Aaron

Aha! Ok, they give you a choice. Cool.

Here's the R2800-59, which was the powerplant for the D model.

http://www.aviation-history.com/engines/pr-2800.htm

The Early D's used a -21 model that had the round magnetos, so you're good to go.

Jon

Thanks for the info, Jon! You sure saved my neck! I was just guessing. I've moved on to the wings now and have popped the engine in the cowling with the open cowl flaps.

Nice feature on the Tamiya kits having a choice of mag's and prop's. I haven't yet done a Hasegawa kit, many options in their kits?

I haven't built any Hasegawa P-47s so maybe someone can chime in on their behalf.

Aaron

Nice feature on the Tamiya kits having a choice of mag's and prop's. I haven't yet done a Hasegawa kit, many options in their kits?

I've heard second hand that they are on the "skinny" side and the detail isn't quite as nice as the Tamiya kit. The 1/32 Hasagawa P-47 kits seem to be inspired by the Tamiya 1/48 and 1/72 kits when it comes to engineering...they are set up similarly.

No pics today, but I have been working on the gear wells. The wings have been cleaned up, gear wells painted, and have them weathered. I need to let them sit overnight, then I'll give them a flat coat. Pics will come tomorrow, and I'll share my process with you as well.

Aaron

Well I couldn't wait until tomorrow, so here we go. First is a picture of the gear wells painted Zinc Yellow (Model Master Acryl).

P-47D001-1.jpg

P-47D002-1.jpg

Next I gloss coat them with Future.

P-47D004.jpg

P-47D005-1.jpg

After the gloss coat dries, I make an oil paint wash with Academy Oil artists paints.

For a thick, grimy wash I use very little thinner. For a runnier, thinner wash use more. I use oil paints because of the acrylic paint underneath and the water based Future.

P-47D003-1.jpg

P-47D007.jpg

Aaron

Edited by jester292

I apply the wash with a small/medium brush and just smudge it on in corners, then "paint" it on flat surfaces. It doesn't have to be perfect, just get it on there and let it go to work.

P-47D006-1.jpg

P-47D010.jpg

P-47D009.jpg

While the wash is still wet, I wipe away excess with a q-tip. Sometimes I dip it in thinner, and sometimes I go in dry, but that can leave a lot of lint behind. After I get the wash on there, I let it sit for a while. In this case I would have liked it on overnight, but I couldn't muster up the patience, so I flat coated after a couple hours. I use Model Master Acryl Clear Flat over the oil wash to seal it. Although it wasn't completely dry, which caused a little smearing of the oil wash but I can live with it.

P-47D012.jpg

P-47D015.jpg

I hope the pictures are ok, I don't have the best camera. Hopefully you'll get the general idea. This is my first ever time using a wash, so suggestions for improvement are welcome, just be nice!

Aaron

Edited by jester292

Just a little bit further... I attached the wings to the fuselage, and also added the horizontal stabilizers. While the wings were drying overnight, I built the flaps, then added them last night. Those were also left to dry overnight. Here's how she sits now.

P-47D001-2.jpg

P-47D002-2.jpg

The next step is to start on the pylons and stores I plan to hang underneath. Landing gear will be after that. Thanks for looking.

Aaron

Edited by jester292
Sheesh! at this pace, you'll be ready for paint soon!. Excellent progress.

Jerry

Two factors are at play here: Unemployment (=lots of time) and a small kit that fits extremely well (= less time spent filling/sanding/dryfitting, etc.) is a good combination for easy, quick progress. Thanks for looking!

Aaron

Edit: I can't forget to mention that I've been blessed with a great wife who lets me spend time at the bench.

Edited by jester292

Great work.

One suggestion reference the wash in the gear bays, if you use low odour thinner instead you will not need to bother will the gloss and flat coat, I use this wash straight over enamels which gets easily softened with an oil wash but using low odour thinner it doesn't soften it at all and I have no problem.

I've been quite busy over the past few days, and any time I get at the bench is spent staring at the canopy. Its mocking me, knowing I hate masking. Production has screeched to a halt. I will spend tomorrow showing that canopy who is boss, and will be able to continue with ordnance and major painting will follow soon after that. Thanks for looking.

Aaron

Ok gang, here's the scoop. I wasn't able to get as much time at the bench as I really wanted, but I was able to get a little work done. I didn't get the canopy masked, but did paint the bombs and fuel tank. The bombs have also been gloss coated.

P-47D001-3.jpg

I'll get to the canopy tomorrow (if I can get to the bench). Thats the only thing left before major body paint. Here's how it sits now.

P-47D002-3.jpg

See ya soon!

Aaron